Originally built in 1891 by Horatio Hunnewell as a gift for his daughter, this mansion was known as “The Pines” due to the massive pine trees surrounding the estate.
The house burned in 1893, and while the fire was raging, Mr. Hunnewell yelled to firefighters “Save the trees, we can always build another house!” Many of the trees were saved. He spared no expense to rebuilt a new home for his daughter, larger than the original of course. The home was designed by Shaw & Hunnewell, architects the latter was Mr. Hunnewell’s son. It remained in the family until 1970 when it was purchased by Wellesley College.