The former Providence Journal Building in Downtown Providence was built in 1906 by Boston architectural firm of Peabody & Stearns. The Beaux-Arts building is sited on a prominent corner lot and is one of the most interesting buildings in Downtown Providence. The building was constructed for the Providence Journal, the premier local newspaper in the rapidly growing city. This building served as the home of the paper from 1906 until the company moved into its present offices in 1934. When the Journal moved out, Liggett’s Drug Store expanded its storefronts and occupied much of the building.
After World War II, the building was occupied by J.J Newbury Variety Store, and by the 1950s, the building was “modernized”. Thankfully, much of the original detailing which included the two-story corinthian columns, intricate stone carvings and mansard roof were preserved, many located underneath the later renovation. In 1983, a renovation effort saw the building restored nearly to its original design, sans some odd looking storefronts.