This Victorian Gothic commercial block in Downtown Providence was built by George Slade, a merchant who was involved in real estate along with his role as part-owner of Westcott, Slade and Balcom a paint company. Slade likely saw the development of the new Providence City Hall next door as a catalyst for development in this section of Providence and built an attractive block with units inside for rent.
The building was designed by Clifton A. Hall (1826-1913) a relatively unknown architect based out of Providence. The cost of the building was estimated at $45,000 according to a posting in American Architect & Building News. In 1895, the corner tower was added as a way to modernize and increase appeal, also designed by Hall. The building features lancet windows, intricate brickwork and stone detailing.