As the town of Danvers grew after the Civil War, the need for larger neighborhood schools became apparent. Land was acquired from Gilbert A. Tapley’s estate in 1895, and $14,500 was appropriated for the design and construction of an eight room school building. The building designed by Salem architect, Edwin B. Balcom, is Colonial Revival in style with a hipped roof and front and rear pavilion entrances. The interior finish was of pine with the first and second stories consisting of four class rooms each with a teacher’s office and book closet to each room. The second story also contained the principal’s room and supply room. The front facade of the structure exhibits simulated ashlar siding with the other sides done in clapboards, quoins are present at corners. The front pavilion entrance includes a closed pediment with dentils and a Palladian window in the gable.
In 1979, the Tapleyville School was closed for school purposes and in the summer of that year the structure was chosen by the Danvers Housing Authority for adaptive reuse for housing for the elderly. The former school remains as a housing development, architecturally significant with minor alterations which include an appropriate addition to the side of the building and a lemon yellow paint job.