Located in the municipal core of Brookline Village, across from City Hall and the Public Library, the Brookline Village Fire Station is an excellent example of a Second Empire Victorian-era fire station. Built in 1873 from designs by Charles K. Kirby, a Boston-based architect just years before he moved to California in search of gold rush commissions. This station is the oldest remaining in Brookline and retains much of its original character. It was designed to house the then separate engine and ladder companies as side-by-side stations in one building and originally housed horse-drawn engines with stables in the basement. In 1926, a Colonial Revival alarm building was added to the side and rear, which is likely when the original hose tower was removed. The building is now home to the Fire Department Headquarters and is attached to the new police headquarters.