Located in Brookline Village, this house on Linden Street is one of the oldest remaining from the Lindens Subdivision, the first of its type in the Village. The house was built for 24 year old Charles W. Scudder, a hardware merchant who worked in Downtown Boston. Scudder died in 1891 and the home was willed to his widow, Alicia, who died just a year later. The home is a great example of the Greek Revival style, with its pedimented gable, heavy cornice with frieze, columned porch, and pilaster cornerboards. The home was built before the train came to Brookline Village, so owners had to ride their coaches to Downtown Boston, a long distance back then.