Contributing to the collection of Jacobethan architecture in Brookline with a Dutch flair, the Clarke House stands out as one of the finest. Designed in 1897 for William H. Clarke and his wife Charlotte, the mansion is prominently sited at the intersection of Dean Road and Druce Street. William Whitney Lewis, the architect, was commissioned to design the home for the merchant and his wife. William Whitney Lewis came to the United States at an early age. He studied at Boston Boys’ High School in Philadelphia and then at MIT. From 1868 to 1875 he was a draftsman with Cummings and Sears. He formed his own practice in 1876, specializing in residential architecture, including homes in Boston, Lowell, and Manchester-by-the-Sea. His design for the Clarke’s includes: curvilinear Dutch gables with pediments, red brick with Indiana limestone trim exterior, and an arched entrance. The house has since had some pretty uninspired alterations to the windows, but overall it is still a statement piece. Oh and it has a later garage that mimics the style!