When present-day Hamilton, MA was still known as a “Hamlet”, a village without a church of its own, of Ipswich, the few residents there desired a place of worship that was near their homes. They built a small church in 1713 for public worship. In 1762, a larger building was erected on same spot, with two entrances, one side for women and one for men. The church served the hamlet, and later the town of Hamilton until the 1840s, when the town of under 1,000 citizens sought to upgrade the Congregational church. In 1843, the church was completely remodeled using the 1762 church framing, in the modern Greek Revival style. The church has an active congregation to this day.