This house was built in 1843 for Jeremiah Hill, a commission merchant and partner in Hill, Chamberlin & Co. at 11 Central Wharf, Boston. The architect for the home was Gridley J. Fox Bryant, as one of his earlier commission, and it is the only known design by him in Brookline. Bryant went on to become one of the most influential architects in New England, designing the Charles Street Jail, Old Boston City Hall, and a number of buildings on the Bates College campus in Maine. Jeremiah Hill died in 1862, and his daughters, in distressed circumstances, were forced to sell the family home in 1869. It soon after bought by Martin P. Kennard, a partner in the firm of Bigelow & Kennard, jewelers and silversmiths, located for many years on Boylston Street in Boston. Kennard subdivided the property, laying out Hedge and Kennard Streets adjacent to the home, selling building lots while he lived there. By 1927, the grounds were purchased by the Park School, who sought to expand from their smaller property nearby (they later built a massive school a short drive away). The Hill Estate was given to the Town of Brookline for use as a school, and it now houses the Brookline Music School.