Frederick Fullerton House // 1871

The lemon-yellow Italianate mansion on Main Street in downtown Chester, Vemont was built for one of the richest men in town, Frederick Fullerton (1817-1869). Mr. Fullerton was the owner of a woolen mill in nearby Cavendish and was active in affairs in the town of Chester. Frederick was the son of Nathaniel Fullerton (1775-1872) who was a banker who also developed and funded numerous civic and recreational developments in town.

The asymmetrical house features a deep wrap-around veranda (porch) and while the home faces east, and not the street, commands the street with its massing, design features and bright paint color. There are estimates that the construction of the home took 50 men two years to build!