Hedenskog-Levy House // 1904

Perched up on Aspinwall Hill, this early 20th century two-family home is one of the best-preserved examples remaining in this section of Brookline. The house represents the positive impact of immigrant communities to Boston area neighborhoods. Located on Rawson Road, the house was built in 1904 by Patrick Moore, a house carpenter based in Boston. The home was un-occupied until 1908, when Lars A. Hedenskog (d. 1908), an unmarried bookkeeper, and his sister, Bertha A. Hedenskog, a dressmaker, lived here. The siblings were natives of Sweden and arrived in the United States at New York and subsequently relocated to Boston, where they were both worked, later purchasing this property together. Hyman J. Levy and his family purchased the property in 1920 after Bertha’s death. Mr. Levy was a Yiddish-speaking Russian immigrant who came to the United States in 1888. Levy was a hardware dealer and owner of H. J. Levy Hardware Company (later the Bay State Hardware Co.) at 1395 Washington Street in Boston’s South End. Levy died in 1955 at the age of 67 when he was shot in the jaw as he lunged to grab a pistol from an attempted robber.