Mann’s Cotton Mill Double House // 1831

Located on the aptly named Mann’s Hill Road in Sharon, Massachusetts, this historic double-house was built in 1831 as worker’s housing affiliated with the former Mann’s Cotton Mill. The first Mann’s Cotton Mill was constructed in 1831 by George Harvey Mann on Devil’s Brook on the East Branch of the Neponset River. George Harvey Mann (1793-1847) bought the water privileges from Joseph Warren Revere, the son of Paul Revere, and built a factory. The business carried on until a fire in 1840 destroyed the factory and it was rebuilt by George and his son, George Rodney Mann. As part of the original mill complex in 1831, a series of double-houses were built nearby for workers at the mill, making them always available for long days at work. The Mann’s Mill closed in 1900, and it was destroyed by fire in 1919. The double-houses like the one seen here, were sold by the heirs of the family at the turn of the 20th century and feature a stone base and wood frame second floor. 

Leave a comment