One of the best Stick style homes in Dorchester has to be the Wales House on Mill Street. The house was built in 1879 for Thomas G. Wales, a businessman, from plans by Dorchester architect John A. Fox. Fox was hired to design a handful of homes on Mill Street, and was a prominent Victorian-era architect who contributed to the growth in Dorchester after it was annexed to Boston, some called him the “Father of the Stick Style” in Boston. The clapboard and shingle-clad home has a Stick style porch and gabled window hoods at the second floor.
Elisha Loring House // c.1842
One of my favorite examples of a refined Greek Revival estate in Boston is the Elisha Loring House in Dorchester. Located at the corner of Ashland and Mill Streets, the home was built around 1843 for Elisha Loring, a wealthy businessman. Elisha T. Loring (1804-1889) was born on Cape Cod and began his career in the Chilean tin and copper trades, returning to Boston in 1839.
Soon after returning, he purchased a large residential lot in the developing Clam Point neighborhood from housewrights Joseph Foster and Rufus Kelton of Dorchester, paying a total of $6900 for the two lots. Loring made a fortune in the Lake Superior mines, also known as the Calumet and Hecla mines while he resided in his Dorchester home. By 1862, he was the treasurer to the Pewabic and Franklin Mining Companies, and a decade later is listed as President of the National Dock Company.
Krogmann House // 1894
Built in 1894 for Mr. Washington Libby Krogmann and his wife, Carrie Wheeler (Krogmann). Just months after moving into their new home, Mr. Krogmann died from Tuberculosis at the young age of 35. Carrie Krogmann was left with three children to take care of alone. Carrie began composing music within a year under her name and various pseudonyms as a man. It is speculated that she used male names to be taken more seriously as a composer. She likely was influenced by her parents Austin and Ellen Wheeler, who were amateur musicians. Ms. Krogmann and her children moved to Brookline by 1904. Their home on Mill Street in Dorchester is an excellent example of transitional Queen Anne & Colonial Revival styles. It features clapboard and shingle siding, Tuscan columns, verandah, and prominent corner tower with a rounded conical cap.
Albe Clark House // 1872
This Second Empire home was built in 1872 for Boston lawyer and longtime Dorchester resident Albe C. Clark. Clark grew up in New Hampshire before attending Harvard Law School and later moved to Lowell, MA to practice law. In 1857, he relocated to Dorchester, a relatively affluent suburb of Boston and worked as treasurer of the Dorchester Gas Light Company, with facilities in the approximate location of the well-known Rainbow Swash. Clark (along with some neighbors) became a proponent of Dorchester’s annexation into Boston and joined a committee called the “Friends of Annexation”. In 1870, the group got their wish and Dorchester officially became a part of the City of Boston. Within a few years, Clark hired Luther Briggs, Jr., a noted architect to construct a large home in the Harrison Square section of Dorchester. The home retains many original features including the portico, bay windows, and mansard roof with dormers and belvedere.