Loring House // c.1658

Likely the oldest home in the town of Hull, the Loring House has ties to the significant Loring Family, who’s descendants include individuals on both sides of the American Revolution, the US Civil War, and today live across North America, Spain, England and Australia. This house was built on land purchased by Thomas Loring (1600-1661) who came to Hingham in 1634 from England. He built a larger estate in town until a fire destroyed all his belongings, and he chose not to rebuild, but acquired property in the adjoining plantation of Hull. In Hull, he served as constable (court officer and tax collector), and raised his family there. His eldest son, John, married in 1657 and likely had this home built on his father’s vast land holdings within the year. John worked as a house-wright and likely built the home himself. He had two wives (his first wife Mary died at 39), and 15 children at the home, though some likely did not live past infancy as was common in early colonial days. John died in 1714, but left a lasting legacy in New England and beyond. Notably, his grandson was Joshua Loring, a British Loyalist who built the famous Loring-Greenough House in Boston. The old Loring House in Hull is very-well maintained inside and out and serves as a time-capsule of days past.

Elisha Loring House // c.1842

One of my favorite examples of a refined Greek Revival estate in Boston is the Elisha Loring House in Dorchester. Located at the corner of Ashland and Mill Streets, the home was built around 1843 for Elisha Loring, a wealthy businessman. Elisha T. Loring (1804-1889) was born on Cape Cod and began his career in the Chilean tin and copper trades, returning to Boston in 1839.
Soon after returning, he purchased a large residential lot in the developing Clam Point neighborhood from housewrights Joseph Foster and Rufus Kelton of Dorchester, paying a total of $6900 for the two lots. Loring made a fortune in the Lake Superior mines, also known as the Calumet and Hecla mines while he resided in his Dorchester home. By 1862, he was the treasurer to the Pewabic and Franklin Mining Companies, and a decade later is listed as President of the National Dock Company.