Just five years after the Congregational Church of Peru was built, the congregation acquired land and built this home as a parsonage for their pastor. The parsonage was designed in the Greek Revival style similar to the church. The home sits amongst beautiful, mature trees and exhibits the best in Classical design with bold corner and entry pilasters and a five bay symmetrical facade. They sure don’t make them like they used to!
Congregational Church of Peru // 1845
The centerpiece of the Village of Peru, Vermont is the Congregational Church, a stunning edifice and example of Greek Revival architecture in the small town. Construction on the church began on the Fourth of July in 1845, with contractor and resident J.J. Hapgood utilizing much of the timbers of the former church building in the new church. Since the interior of the old church had been left natural, they decided that wood in the new building should be left unpainted as well. The bell was financed by contributions, most particularly by J.J. Hapgood. In 1853, a tornado swept through Peru, damaging the west end of the church and moving it from the foundation, it survived. The church remains a center of Village life in Peru and is well-maintained by the congregation.
Peru Creamery House // 1895
The Creamery House in Peru, Vermont is perhaps the most “Vermont” building I have ever heard of. The building was constructed in 1895 George Richardson (1852-1920), a local farmer who operated the use as a place where cheese was made from the excess (unsold) milk of the area farmers. Eventually, the building was acquired by the Town of Peru and converted to a town hall, used for meetings, dances, dinners and parties, serving as the true town gathering place. The town relocated its offices to the former Peru Schoolhouse (featured previously) and this building went back to its roots and is presently home to the Peru Historical Society and the Main Street Makery, a community craft workshop and new town gathering place!