Located next to and predating Newport City Hall (a previous post), the Townsend Industrial School building is a great, eclectic Victorian-era building in Newport, that is often overlooked. The school itself evolved from a vocational school for women, that Katherine Prescott Wormeley began in town in 1872. The school taught pupils “not destined for classic education” but taught them skills that they would be able to use in the “real world”. The school was located next to the Rogers High School (demolished in 1957), which provided a more traditional education. The building was designed by Newport architect James C. Fludder and has maintained its stately presence to this day. The building has been acquired by the City of Newport, who added a Post-Modern addition, and it is now known as the Frank E. Thompson Middle School.