
Perched on a tiny, treeless island at the entrance to Sippican Harbor in Marion, Massachusetts, Bird Island Lighthouse has stood since 1819, when Congress appropriated $11,500 to buy the island and erect a light guiding the whaling ships and lumber, nail, and salt cargo vessels that crowded Buzzards Bay. A 25-foot-tall conical rubblestone tower was constructed, surmounted by a 12-foot tall iron lantern with small stone keeper’s dwelling connected to the tower by a covered walkway, that has since been demolished. William S. Moore, a veteran of the War of 1812, was appointed as the first keeper, which went into operation in 1819. Today, there have been legends about murder and hauntings on the island. Some accounts claim that Moore murdered his wife—described as a “Boston society girl”—at the lighthouse and disappeared soon after. A rifle was purportedly found in a secret hiding place, along with a bag of tobacco, when the original keeper’s house was torn down in 1889. The gun was believed by some to be the murder weapon. Others have claimed that Moore prevented his ailing wife from seeking medical attention on the mainland, and that she died as a result. The truth about Moore will probably never be completely separated from the fantastic legends concerning his life. The light was decommissioned in 1933 and sold by the Federal Government in 1940, later purchased by the Town of Marion in 1966. The Sippican Historical Society oversaw the restoration of the tower with the surrounding island serving as a protected sanctuary for nesting roseate terns.