Saint Gabriel’s Episcopal Church, Marion // 1874

Originally constructed in 1835 as the Sippican Seminary, also known as the “Dames School” because its student body included many daughters of Marion sea captains, this building had its beginnings as a private school and was later converted to a Victorian chapel as Marion grew into a summer colony. As public schools became more popular, the such a private institution was no longer needed and the site was purchased by a local Episcopal congregation for use as a summer chapel. In 1874, the Greek Revival style academy building was either fully transformed into this modest, Carpenter Gothic shingled chapel or the new chapel was built on its site. As Marion prospered as a summer colony with wealthy summer residents coming to town every summer, members of the congregation donated stained glass windows and other fixtures to the chapel. Many of the distinguished stained glass windows by the Charles J. Connick Studios of Boston remain.

Leave a comment