Tabor Hall // c.1880

This beautiful Italianate building was constructed around 1880 for the newly established Tabor Academy, which was founded in Marion, Massachusetts by Ms. Elizabeth Taber in 1876. After Ms. Taber funded the constructed of a town library and museum and Academy Building (now the Marion Town Hall) for her hometown, she endowed money for Tabor Hall, which was to house the school’s Principal, some boarding students, and most importantly, herself. The structure was originally located on Spring Street, just north of the library, 1936, when the “Tabor Swap” occurred. The swap was a deal between the academy and the Town of Marion, who exchanged properties. The town received the library building, the academic building (soon after converted to Town Hall) and land where this building once sat and erected the Sippican Elementary school on the land, and had Tabor Hall moved a block away to this site on Cottage Street. Tabor Hall has since been a private home, and recently (before this image) has been renovated with new siding.