Ms. Perkins’ Millinery Shop // c.1890

This charming one-story shop sits on the Porter-side of Kezar Falls village, a district that spans the Ossipee River between Porter and Parsonsfield, Maine. This shop was built at the end of the 19th century as a millinery shop (womens’ hat store) for Ms. Florence Perkins (1862-1950), who appears to have been unmarried all of her life. Retaining almost all of its original decorative detail, the building has a symmetrically arranged facade with two-sided projecting bays; the upper sash in the facade windows, including that in the entrance door, has a border of small rectangular colored glass panels. The storefront is a rare survivor of this period, with not many other examples in the area.

Old Porter Meetinghouse // 1818

Welcome to Porter, Maine! The town is located on the Maine/New Hampshire border and was first called Portersfield Plantation. Porter was incorporated in 1807 and named after its first proprietor, Dr. Aaron Porter (1752-1837). The Porter Meetinghouse was built beginning in 1818 and it is said that it was not completely finished until 1824. The original congregation was a Freewill Baptist organization led by Reverend Jeremiah Bullock, and were known locally as “Bullockites“. The structure housed the Baptists and town meetings as needed. The plain vernacular, meetinghouse is typical of many early meetinghouses of the period in rural New England. The inside retains its original character with its space as a single large chamber with a gallery above on three sides. The walls are plaster, much of it original, with trowel marks visible. The main floor is populated with original box pews and a replica pulpit. The structure is a rare survivor!

“Beech Nut” // 1913

“Beech Nut” is a stone cottage built at the top of Beech Hill in Rockport in one of the best hiking areas of Mid-Coast Maine. The hut was built in 1913 for owner John Gribbel (1858-1936), a Philadelphia-based industrialist, who had a summer estate, “Weatherend” in Rockport. He hired a Norwegian immigrant named Hans Heisted, an employee of the Olmsted Brothers, to improve the grounds at Weatherend, which included meandering paths, stone walls, and stone structures. Meanwhile, the Gribbels had started acquiring land on Beech Hill in 1909, and eventually accumulated holdings of more than 300 acres. To keep the masons and landscapers busy during the winter, Gribbel and Heisted thought to build a small hut a few miles away on Beech Hill, which would serve as the family picnic and tea shelter. The stone building features a unique sod roof which was typical of Scandinavian houses up until the late 1800s. Once complete, family and friends would visit Beech Nut to enjoy the fresh air and views of the Atlantic from atop the hill for the day. After successive owners, the property began to deteriorate until the 1980s, when developers began to swarm the open space for redevelopment. In 1986, the land around Beech Nut was put under conservation easement and was acquired in 2003 by the Maine Coast Heritage Trust, which then transferred it in 2006 to the Coastal Mountains Land Trust. In 2007, the hut was completely restored and serves as a respite after the uphill climb for visitors.

Megunticook Clubhouse // 1901

As coastal communities in Maine’s mid-coast began to see more wealthy summer residents, these enclaves of cottages needed clubhouses and spaces to spend their summer days. In 1899, Philadelphian (and Rockport summer resident) Charles Wolcott Henry converted a section of his oceanfront summer estate at Rockport’s Beauchamp Point to a newly established golf club which quickly outcompeted all others nearby. Within a few years, Boston architect Charles H. Brigham, was hired to design this Craftsman style clubhouse that sits on an elevated site with an expansive wraparound veranda providing views of the new course and the Penobscot Bay. The rubble-stone foundation and walls clad in brown-stained shingles are well suited to the rugged coastal Maine site. The golf course, also designed in 1901, was planned by groundskeeper Thomas Grant as a 9-hole course. The recreational complex has been meticulously preserved and is a great example of a turn-of-the-century clubhouse in coastal Maine. The 1901 clubhouse is also said to be the oldest golf building in Maine!

Enos E. Ingraham Store // c.1880

This perfect historic commercial building sits on Pascal Avenue in Rockport, Maine, in a section of the village more-so dominated by residences than larger commercial blocks. That may be the reason for the Enos E. Ingraham Store having a certain small-scale and residential quality. The block was built sometime after 1875 and has been known as the Enos E. Ingraham Store, after the longtime owner of the same name. The Ingraham Store is Second Empire in style with the prototypical mansard roof, bracketed cornice, and projecting bay window.

John Achorn House // c.1855

This stately Italianate style house is located at 46 Pascal Avenue in the quaint coastal town of Rockport, Maine. Built around 1855 by and for John Achorn (1825-1898) a ship-joiner and carpenter in town. Due to his profession in carpentry, Achorn is the likely culprit as the builder who designed the house and detailed the delicate pendant brackets, Palladianesque window, and the addition of the flushboard center bay.

Thorndike-Conway House // 1769

This homestead is one of the earliest homes in the Camden–Rockport area of Maine. Originally built inland from the harbors, the house was a one room cabin with an open sleeping loft above. Allegedly built in 1769 by Robert Thorndike (1734-1834) one of the earliest settlers of Rockport the house has served as a significant piece of the town’s history ever since. There were two additions to the house in 1806 and 1826. The first addition in 1806 consisted of the front door entry and the front parlor, a birthing room and a chamber and loft above. The 1826 addition in the back of the home provided a kitchen area that was later divided to provide a small parlor. In 1826, Frederic Conway bought the property from Robert Thorndike Jr., which remained in the family until 1916. The property is now owned by the Camden-Rockport Historical Society as a house museum and the organization is further documenting the history of this house and the two towns.

Rockport Union Hall // 1856

Union Hall sits in the middle of the charming coastal village of Rockport, Maine. The Second Empire style building was built around 1856 as an original mixed-use structure with the first level containing retail spaces, the second level as a hall, and third level providing either office or living spaces. Rockport’s Union Hall was also once home of the town Post Office, a barrel factory, and a residence before it began to suffer from neglect and deferred maintenance at the end of the 20th century. In 2010, the owners underwent a massive restoration of Union Hall, which included: structural remediation to wood framing, a new elevator, slate roof repair, all new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, masonry repointing, restoration of windows and doors and more. These types of restorations are vital to small New England towns, providing jobs and the properties are often occupied by local small businesses, as is the case here!

Rockport Opera House // 1891

Built in 1891, the historic Rockport Opera House is located in the heart of Rockport Village overlooking picturesque mid-coast Maine harbor. The Opera House here was actually first built as a multi-purpose Town Hall and library by a F. E. Gilkey, possibly a local builder. Over the years, the Colonial Revival style building has also served as a town meeting space, theater, concert hall, and Y.M.C.A., complete with a basketball court and bowling alley. In the 1970s, the building had deteriorated such that the Town considered selling it or tearing it down. The women of the Rockport Garden Club led the effort to save and restore the building. An outpouring of local support and a grant from the Maine Commission of the Arts and Humanities enabled the building to be revitalized as the Rockport Opera House. The significant structure continues to host the annual town meeting and regularly hosts town committee and other public meetings.  It is also the home venue of the Bay Chamber Concerts, as well as other musical events, theater performances, wedding receptions, conferences, and other private functions. Preservation at its finest!

Dillingham House // c.1845

This perfect Greek Revival cape house sits on Pascal Avenue, the main street that cuts through the center of Rockport, Maine. The house dates to the 1840s or early 1850s and was owned by the Dillingham Family for a few generations. The original owner may have been Josiah Dillingham (1796-1861), a mariner and sea captain. Josiah died in 1861, and the property was inherited by his eldest son, Josiah Winslow Dillingham (1829-1895) who went by Winslow, seemingly to differentiate himself from his father of the same name and same profession. The Dillingham family home is a quintessential Greek Revival cape with central portico with Ionic columns and corner pilasters with full length entablature at the facade. In true Maine fashion, the side elevations are covered in weathered shingle siding.