Cook Memorial Library // 1895

The Cook Memorial Library of Tamworth, New Hampshire, is one of the state’s finest 19th century and charming libraries. The library in Tamworth got its start in 1796, when Samuel Hidden, the new pastor of the Tamworth Congregational Church brought residents to support a library in the community. In 1891, the New Hampshire legislature approved the Free Library Act, appointing a State Library commission and authorizing benefits to New Hampshire towns for the purpose of establishing free, public libraries. In 1894, a local committee was formed to act upon a gift of $2,000 from Susan (Staples) Cook for the purpose of purchasing land and erecting a building in the memory of her husband, Charles P. Cook, who had been a prominent local storekeeper, selectman, and state legislator in town. The gift also stipulated “…that Mrs. Lucy A. Cook (daughter-in-law of Susan) shall continue as librarian, if she desires, so long as she performs her duties acceptably”, they accepted. The library appears to have been designed by Boston architect, Joseph Randolph Coolidge of the firm, Coolidge & Carlson, who spent summers in nearby Sandwich, NH. The historic, wood-frame library is notable for its shingled siding, clock tower, and stained glass windows, all of which were preserved in a later renovation and expansion of the 1895 building.

Baker Free Library // 1914

In 1912, Congressman Henry M. Baker, cousin of Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of the Church of Christ, Scientist, left in his will, $10,000 and the land next to his family home to the Town of Bow for the creation of a public library for his hometown. Architect, William McLean formerly of the firm, McLean and Wright, who specialized in library designs of the early 20th century, was selected to furnish plans for Bow’s new library, which employs a sort of Classical Revival/Beaux Arts design, similar to many Carnegie libraries of the time. As the town grew, the library has been expanded.

Weare Public Library // 1926

The Colonial Revival style Weare Public Library was built in 1926, being the second purpose-built library building for the town of Weare, New Hampshire. After the Neo-Classical style Stone Memorial Building was taken over as town offices following a fire of the old town hall, local resident Eben Paige saw the need for a new designated library building. Upon his death in 1923, he left his entire estate, over $30,000, to the town to build a new free library. The Boston architectural firm of Kreider and Peterson were selected to design the building, which is still in use today.