After the completion of Gasson Hall at Boston College, the Jesuit faculty commuted from the old college in Boston, to Chestnut Hill by automobile and streetcar. The new college sought to make their second building on the new campus, a faculty residence. St. Mary’s hall incorporated apartment units and even a chapel, which was used by a local parish. The building was named after St. Mary’s church in Boston. Like Gasson Hall, this gorgeous building was designed by Charles Maginnis, with similarities to the earlier building.
The Boston College campus at Chestnut Hill represents the best of the Collegiate Gothic style in the Boston area.
Boston College was founded by the Society of Jesus in 1863, and is one of twenty-eight Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States. Originally located on Harrison Avenue in the South End of Boston, where it shared quarters with the Boston College High School, the College outgrew its urban setting toward the end of its first fifty years. A new location was selected in Chestnut Hill, then almost rural, and four parcels of land were acquired in 1907. A design competition for the development of the campus was won by the firm of Maginnis and Walsh, and ground was broken on June 19, 1909, for the construction of Gasson Hall.
Originally called the Recitation Building, then the Tower Building, Gasson Hall was finally named in honor of Father Thomas I. Gasson, founder of the Chestnut Hill campus. The building was designed by Charles D. Maginnis and built from stone quarried on the present campus. The style of the building and much of the campus can be classified as Collegiate Gothic. Gasson Hall was publicized by Ralph Adams Cram, who helped establish Collegiate Gothic as the prevailing architectural style on American university campuses for much of the 20th century.
At its interior, the Rotunda at the center of the building is a special treat to behold. A blending of different mediums of art including: architecture, sculpture, stained glass, and painted murals, the space is truly awe-inspiring. The dominant feature inside the rotunda is the large marble statue of St. Michael triumphing over Satan. The art piece was commissioned by Gardner Brewer, a Boston merchant for his great hall in his Beacon Hill house. Brewer hired Scipione Tadolini, a renowned sculptor in Rome, and he (along with his assistants) turned a massive block of the finest Carrara marble into the epic battle between good and evil. The piece was eventually purchased by Boston College when they envisioned it to be placed in their Rotunda.
The tallest landmark on the Wellesley College campus is Hetty H. R. Green Hall. The building is an excellent example of Gothic Revival architecture, specifically “Collegiate” Gothic which was popular in educational campuses in the early 20th century.
Plans for the Administration Building were developed in 1918, but it was another decade before the Board of Trustees considered the construction of the building. The building was designed by Frank Day and Charles Klauder.
Green Hall was financed with donations made by Hetty Sylvia Ann Howland Green Wilks (what a name) of New York and Edward Howland Robinson Green of Texas in memory of their mother Hetty Howland Robinson Green. The agreement was that each would contribute $50,000 per year for five years if the College would construct a building to be known as Hetty H.R. Green Hall. This agreement was made in 1923, thus the funds were not available until 1928 and the College was responsible for raising the additional funds to complete the construction .
The building has design features which are synonymous with Gothic Revival architecture. The lancet doors and windows, decorative buttresses, and reliefs in the stone around the entrances. The structure frames the eastern boundary of the Academic Quad, with the Modern, and just as iconic, Jewett Auditorium to its west.