“Highfield” // 1914

The Highfield house is a historic building located in Middlebury, Connecticut. The House, surrounded by over 600 acres of land, was the former summer estate of Columbia University law professor Joseph and his wife, Elizabeth Chamberlain. They commissioned Theodate Pope Riddle, one of the first licensed female architects in America to build this comfortable English Arts and Crafts style cottage on a hill above a lake. It is likely that after the Westover School was completed in town, the Chamberlains were excited to see how Theodate could design them a summer house in the similar Arts and Crafts style. The estate was completed in 1914 and stands two-stories with the second floor concealed within the steeply pitched gable roof. Like Westover, the building was stuccoed. In the 1950s, the estate was purchased by a group of individuals who dedicated the complex as a family and country club with golf, tennis courts, and pool. It is known as the Highfield Club today.

Westover School // 1909

At the heart of the rural community of Middlebury, comprised largely of Connecticut farmers, far from the hustle and bustle of the world, Mary Robbins Hillard (1862-1932) sought to create a girls school to “provide young women with a liberal education in a community which would contribute to the development of their character, independence and sense of responsibility.” To accomplish this, they needed a school, and Mary hired her good friend (and architect) Theodate Pope Riddle to design the private girl’s school campus and main buildings on a site fronting the town green. The school opened in 1909 with125 pupils, slightly over capacity. For the design Theodate Pope Riddle – who was one of the first American women architects and a survivor of the sinking of the RMS Lusitania – took inspiration from English Arts and Crafts and historical precedence in English schools with large open courtyard plans. Originally finished in a gray stucco, the building enclosed a quadrangle at the rear. Inside, administration offices, reception rooms, living rooms, a library, gymnasium, chapel, dining rooms, infirmary, and (of course) classrooms lined the interiors on a closed loop to allow students and teachers access to all parts of the building without ever stepping outside in the cold New England winters. The Westover School remains active and one of the highest ranked private schools in the area today, and with a more cheery yellow coat!

George and Effie Mead House // 1911

Prominently sited upon a hill on a dead-end street in West Acton, Massachusetts, this Craftsman Bungalow is a very elaborate and well-preserved example of the style. The house was built in 1911 for George Varnum Mead (1861-1940) and his wife Effie Wright Mead (1860-1926) as their summer home when they weren’t living in Somerville. Mr. Mead was born in West Acton to Varnum Balfour Mead, who operated the A. O. W. Mead Company, a produce marketing business in Acton and Boston. Varnum’s brother built an elaborate Second Empire style mansion in town which was featured on here yesterday. George Mead followed his father’s footsteps and worked in the family business, which was in operation starting in the 1840s. The A. O. W. Mead Company gathered produce from farmers all over West Acton, kept the produce in cold storage facilities erected by the family, and sent it to Boston for sale at Quincy Market until George’s death in 1940. The Craftsman style house has a fieldstone base, low, overhanging flared gable roof, and is sheathed in shingle siding. Characteristic features include the multiple dormers, exposed rafter tails, grouped windows, and the large fieldstone chimney.

Elwin Cove // 1908

While Blue Hill has historically been a summer colony for wealthy city-dwellers to escape to experience the beauty of Maine, it has never gotten the coverage as Bar Harbor or the other Mount Desert Island towns. Many of Blue Hill’s summer cottages are more refined and hidden away amongst the trees, and that is how the town likes it, unpretentious. I was lucky enough to take a wrong-turn and stumbled upon this gem of a cottage between the Blue Hill village and East Blue Hill, I had to take a photo! Upon further research, the rambling cottage was built in 1908 for Ellen and Edward J. Brooks of New Jersey. The cottage was named Elwin Cove, possibly as a merge of their children’s names ELinor and WINfred.

East Blue Hill Library // 1920

Every village needs a library, and East Blue Hill is no different! Without easy access to the main Blue Hill library, a group of “willing workers” amassed a collection of books with the hopes to donate to a future village library organization. A campaign to build the present building began in 1914 with the acquisition of land adjacent to the village post office, with major fundraising undertaken in 1917. The building, completed in 1920, was designed by John W. Merrow, a New York City theatrical architect and is an uncommon example of a small, Arts and Crafts style library in the state of Maine.

Keller Cottage // 1896

It wouldn’t be a German-developed summer colony with at least one Chalet-style summer cottage, would it? The Keller Cottage in Elka Park, New York, was built in 1896 for John Keller (1867-1924) and his German wife, Caroline Goehring (1866-1917) who summered in the colony for a few months of the year from Brooklyn, N.Y. The 3,500-square-foot, 6-bedroom “cottage” includes a sunroom with stained glass, original unpainted wood-paneled walls and oh, just some jaw-dropping views of the Catskill Mountains for good measure!

Tamsen Cottage // 1893

Photo from 2017 real estate listing

One of the more unique cottages in New York’s Elka Park summer colony in the Catskill Mountains is this charmer, the Tamsen Cottage. The cottage was built in 1893 for Edward Tamsen (1849-1907), the Sheriff of New York County from 1895-96 until Governor (and later Vice-President) Levi Parsons Morton removed him from office. The former Sheriff purchased this home and summered here with other German-American wealthy New Yorkers until his death in 1907. The chalet-style house has been exceptionally preserved since, and was listed for sale in 2017 for a mere $425,000. Wow!

St. Francis de Sales Church, Elka Park // 1912

Down the street from the Old Platte Clove Post Office in Elka Park, New York, I stumbled across this large, shingled church with few houses nearby. I had to investigate! In 1888 parish lines for the Catholic church were redrawn in the area necessitating a new church near the summer colony of Elka Park. By 1891, a small, shed-like church was built here. By 1911, the small house of worship had outgrown its usefulness and it was considered a blight compared to the high-style homes nearby. A local summer resident, Francis H. Lewis funded $5,000 of the $6,500 cost of the building, and local carpenter Arthur Showers, was commissioned to erect the building. Father Keefe had conveyed to the builder some remembrances he had of a small church in France, and wished for it to be designed that way. Using local building traditions, the church was constructed of local lumber with shingled siding. The building and adjacent cemetery remain active to this day.

Radnor Cottage // c.1907

The historic summer cottages for middle-class summer residents of Maine have little written about them, but oh are these little cottages beautiful!! This is Radnor Cottage, a charming waterfront dwelling in the Haven Colony in Brooklin, Maine. The summer colony is comprised of a dozen quaint cabins (most historically without running water) for those of more modest means that wanted to escape the city for peace and tranquility on Maine’s rocky coast. The colony was developed in the late 19th and early 20th centuries as a respite for academics and more who did not want to flaunt their credentials or social prestige. This home was purchased a few years ago and the inside looks like it’s never been altered! This is a dream home!

Sedgwick Public Library // c.1915

Nothing screams Maine architecture like weathered cedar shingles. The Sedgwick Public Library on Main Street was built in the early 20th century as a small village library to serve the small and seasonal population of the coastal town. The building is Craftsman in style in almost every feature. A broad hipped roof terminates with exposed rafters at the eaves, tuscan columns at the entry support the projecting portico, and a rubblestone foundation continues the composition of natural materials.