Yale University – Durfee Hall // 1871

Following his success of designing Farnam Hall at Yale, architect Russell Sturgis was again commissioned to design Durfee Hall, the residence hall built to enclose the northern edge of the Old Campus Yard. The elongated dormitory was the largest and most imposing building on the Old Campus when it was completed and was named for its benefactor, Bradford M. C. Durfee of Fall River, Massachusetts. The exterior of Durfee is covered in a combination of sandstone and bluestone, and is accentuated with gables, ornate turrets, and large brick chimneys. Upon its completion, it was considered a “high point in Victorian Gothic Style architecture,” and critics from American Architect and Building News commented that “It will be a long time before the quiet dignity of its roof and chimneys will be surpassed anywhere.” The exterior was renovated by Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates Inc.

Yale University – Farnam Hall // 1870

Farnam Hall is Yale University’s oldest dormitory still in use. Designed by New York architect Russell Sturgis in a Ruskinian High Victorian Gothic style, Farnam Hall is considered Sturgis’s most important work and was completed in 1871, marking a new direction toward an enclosed campus, shielded off from the surrounding downtown district of New Haven. Named for Henry Farnam, its construction required the removal of the Second President’s House and a section of the Yale Fence, which was met with some trepidation. The red brick, four-story building originally consisted of twenty suites and ten common rooms on each floor. Sturgis, who was influenced by John Ruskin’s ideals put forward in his Seven Lamps of Architecture, used a variety of brick and stone on the facade all with hand carved detailing. Farnam Hall was renovated in 1977 by architect Edward Larrabee Barnes and today serves as a dormitory for first-year students belonging to Yale’s Jonathan Edwards College.

New Haven City Hall // 1861

Less than four centuries ago the area which is now New Haven, Connecticut, was the home of a small tribe of Native Americans, the Quinnipiac. White settlers arrived by 1638 and made a deal with the local sachem (leader) to protect the native Quinnipiac from raiding bands of Pequots and Mohawks in return of purchasing some of the tribe’s land by the Puritans. By 1640 a complete government had been established and the settlement, originally called Quinnipiac, was renamed Newhaven (later New Haven). The town plan was based on a grid of nine squares. In accordance with old English custom, the central square, now the Green, was designated a public common. By 1718, in response to a large donation from East India Company merchant Elihu Yale, an early college relocated from Old Saybrook to New Haven, and its name was changed to Yale College. The city grew exponentially with industry, education, and commerce, becoming one of the wealthiest and diverse cities in the state. As the city grew after the Civil War, a new City Hall was built. The New Haven City Hall was constructed in 1861-2 and was designed by local architect Henry Austin. To the left of City Hall and set back further from the street was the old Courthouse (1871-3) designed by David R. Brown (1831-1910). Together the buildings provide a united facade marking the first phase of the High Victorian Gothic Style in America. By the 1980s, plans for a new Government Center were discussed following decades of deferred maintenance and a decaying building. Luckily, cooler heads prevailed, and the facades of the building were preserved with a modern structure constructed behind to house city offices, from plans by local architect Herbert S. Newman. The Victorian Gothic and Post-Modern building stands proudly today, anchoring the east end of the Town Green.

Southport Congregational Church // 1875

Southport was and still is a part of Fairfield, Connecticut, but it has long been very different from the geographic center of town. Largely due to distance, Fairfield Congregationalists in the Southport area of town sought to establish a new parish to worship closer to home. By the 1840s, their request was granted and a small wood-frame Greek Revival house of worship was built in 1843. By 1871, the increase in population and wealth in the village necessitated a new, larger church. The congregation hired the architectural team of Lambert and Bunnell who made a huge statement here! It is constructed of granite ashlar masonry with a steeply pitched roof and soaring spires.

Dana King House // 1879

Another stately Victorian-era house on Nashua’s Concord Street is this brick beauty, known as the Dana King House. The property was constructed in 1879 for Dana William King (1832-1912) who had quite a history. He was born in Alstead, New Hampshire where he lived until he was 19, moving to Boston to “make his fortune”. In 1852, he shipped aboard a whale boat in East Boston, and realized that whaling wasn’t for him. He was persuaded by his brother to move in with him in Detroit, where he worked as a grocery clerk before moving back to New Hampshire, settling in Nashua, where he did make his fortune. He began working at a local mill until the outbreak of the American Civil War, where he enlisted in the First Regiment of New Hampshire, eventually rising to the rank of Lt. Colonel. He was captured during the war and held in prison in Shreveport for over seven months, failing at least one prison escape. He was eventually included in a prisoner swap and returned to Nashua in 1865. Upon his return, King used his war stories to gather favor locally, and he was elected Register of the Hillsborough County of Deeds, a position he held for over 30 years. The King House is a great, and rare example of the Victorian Gothic style of architecture in Nashua, notable for its steeply pitched slate gable roof with octagonal corner tower serving as a belvedere or cupola.

Robert Henry Peckham House // 1872

Another of Noank’s stunning Victorian-era seaside cottages is the 1872 Robert Henry Peckham house which is located across the street from the village’s most ornate cottage, the Deacon Robert Palmer House (featured previously). The house exhibits a gambrel roof which reads as a mansard roof at the side elevations. A round arched window is set into the gable end. Decorative cut bargeboards add much complexity to the design. It appears that in the early 20th century, as Noank was re-establishing itself as an artist colony, the owners added the small wrap-around porch and stone garden wall.

Dimock Center – Zakrzewska Building // 1873

Following the construction of Cary Cottage at the New England Hospital for Women and Children in Roxbury (last post), architects Cummings and Sears turned their attention to designing the most important facility in the complex, the large two-story Zakrzewska Building built in 1873. It is a fine example of polychromatic High Victorian Gothic style with Stick detailing. The building is characterized by its decorative stone and brick string courses, arched window heads, polychrome slate roof, end towers, and a gambrel dormer. The building was named after Dr. Maria Zakrzewska (1829-1902), a Polish-American doctor who moved to the United States in 1853, eventually settling in Boston in 1859, working as a professor of obstetrics at the New England Female Medical College. There, she realized that women in medicine did not have the same opportunity to advance in their field and left, launching her own hospital, the New England Hospital for Women and Children. It was the first in Boston, and the second hospital in America, to be run by women physicians and surgeons. Dr. Zakrzewska knew that the opportunity to work with large numbers of patients was vital if women physicians were to achieve the same levels of training and standards of practice as male physicians. The hospital became a primary training hospital for several generations of women physicians, and also trained nurses. The hospital was extremely successful and remains a medical institution to this day, as the Dimock Health Center.

Daniel and Mary Knowlton House // 1880

Another of my favorite townhouses in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston is this Victorian Gothic mansion on Beacon Street, built for Daniel and Mary Knowlton. The residence was designed by the firm of Allen and Kenway and built in 1880 and stands out architecturally for its use of style and use of material amongst a sea of brick. A former cotton merchant, Daniel Knowlton was treasurer of the Flexible Shoe Nail Company and later worked as a stockbroker. The large single-family dwelling was converted into four condominium units in 1989, but has since been switched back to a single-family residence. It sold for $11.2 million dollars as a five bedroom, six full and two half bath home in 2017. Yikes!

East Congregational Society Chapel // 1881

I love exploring old industrial towns. In Ware, Massachusetts, the urban decay of some buildings provides opportunity and potential, but also so much negative thoughts for long-time residents as it reminds some of the town’s once thriving past. Just off Ware’s Main Street, I spotted this former chapel and had to learn more. This structure was built in 1881 as the second East Congregational Church chapel. The congregation was largely made up of immigrant laborers who worked in the town’s mills. This chapel replaced a Greek Revival building erected in 1857 on Water (Pulaski) Street that was later remodeled by the town into a fire station. That building was destroyed during the Hurricane of 1938. This Victorian Gothic chapel was designed by architect Eugene C. Gardner of Springfield, who was very busy in central/western Massachusetts. The chapel long was used by church members for spillover events and social gatherings. Later, the building became the office of the Ware River News.

David Whiting House // c.1875

David Whiting (1810-1892) was one of the most prominent men in Wilton, NH in the 19th century. He was involved in local business and politics, eventually using his prominent land at a convergence on Main Street to erect the Whiting House, a large hotel. The building burned down in 1874, along with his other buildings nearby. He donated some of the land to the town, who built the present Town Hall, and he built a new home on another part of the site. This house was likely built for David Whiting as his own residence, shortly after the fire. The house was designed in the fashionable Stick style and represents the best in Victorian-era architecture.