Darius Knight House // c.1830

Another of the stunning early 19th century homes in the charming town of Chaplin, Connecticut is this transitional Federal/Greek Revival home built around 1830. The house appears to have been built for Darius Knight (1792-1882), a Deacon at the nearby Congregational Church. Of an interesting note, the Knight House is located across the street from the E. W. Day House, thus the intersection was colloquially known as the Knight and Day Corner. The house’s gable-end form with gable reading like a pediment supported by corner pilasters are all clearly Greek Revival style, but the fan lights in said gable and as a transom window are holdouts of the tried-and-true Federal style which dominated up until that point. What a great house!

Chaplin Congregational Church // c.1815

Years before the small town of Chaplin, Connecticut was incorporated as a town, early residents here had this Congregational church built at the future town’s center. The following decades would see the village develop into a cohesive street of Federal and Greek Revival style dwellings and shops, many of which remain to this day. The church was technically completed by 1815, but it would be decades until funding was acquired to add the steeple, pews, and other finishings for the edifice. The structure sits on a raised stone foundation and is prominently sited on the town’s main street.

Gurley Tavern // 1822

Chaplin, Connecticut was incorporated in 1822 and in that same year, this stately Federal style residence was built and operated as a tavern by Chauncey and Julia Gurley. The house in the late 19th century was used as a private school and residence and was later owned by Ruth E. Snow Bowden (1895-1983) known lovingly as “The Quilt Lady”. Ruth was one of the foremost quilt-makers in Connecticut and her Chaplin home, as a result, became known as The Quilt Shop. By the late 1900s, the tavern was converted to an inn, but closed years later from few bookings. The new owners have restored and maintained this charming old tavern back to its original appearance.

Goodell-Bill House // 1828

One of the finest houses in the small town of Chaplin, Connecticut is this Federal manse, located right on the edge of the town center. The brick residence was built in 1828 by Isaac Goodell (1770-1856) who raised his family in the stately home. After Goodell’s death, the property was inherited by his daughter, Mary and her husband, Lester Bill. The house stands out for its painted brick walls, symmetrical facade with fanlight and sidelights at the entry, and the large Palladian window on the second floor.

Old Chaplin Town Hall // 1840

The area that is now Chaplin, Connecticut was settled in the 18th century. The impetus to separate the community occurred due to the difficulty of area residents in reaching the churches in nearby town centers. Benjamin Chaplin (1719-1795), bequeathed funds for the establishment of a church near his (now no longer standing) home. A village center developed around the church, and the town was incorporated in 1822. The village is unusual in Connecticut for its relatively late development, and because the center is not near usable water power, and was bypassed by railroads, it was not affected by later industrialization. The main street is extremely well-preserved and a visual link to 19th century Connecticut. In 1840, the town erected this one-story Greek Revival building to serve as the town hall. The gable end reads as a pediment with the walls constructed of smooth vertical boards. The town outgrew this building and it became the town’s museum after the present town hall building was constructed in the northern part of the village. The museum closed and the building appears unused today. Hopefully the town can find a way to use the structure and maintain it.

Benjamin Bosworth House // 1800

One of the most unique houses in Connecticut is this massive Federal style residence located in the small town of Eastford. Built next to the Congregational Church of Eastford (1829-2023), which burned down in 2023 by arson, the massive house has been known as both the Benjamin Bosworth House and Squire Bosworth’s Castle due to its first owner, Benjamin Bosworth (1762-1850). According to the Bosworth Family, the house was built in 1800 by Bosworth was a wealthy merchant, who hired Vini Goodell, a local carpenter to design and build the large Federal home. The house was completed by 1801 when the local Masonic group met in the building. As Bosworth was also a merchant, he used the basement as a storeroom. The house is also unusual for its monitor roof, a rarity in Federal period construction, which reads like a second structure on the house, due to the building’s size. After Bosworth’s death, the house was occupied by his niece, and was later purchased by Elisha Grant Trowbridge in 1897. Trowbridge was a grand-nephew of General Nathaniel Lyon (1818-1861), a local hero who was the first Union general killed during the Civil War. Trowbridge, an engineer, lived here until he died in 1963 at the age of 96. Later owners have had the monumental task of restoring and maintaining this behemoth of a house, to great success.

Sumner-Carpenter House // 1806

I don’t think any state does the Federal style as well as Connecticut (Massachusetts is a close second)! This is the Sumner-Carpenter House, a high-style example of a Federal residence that is located on the backroads of the small town of Eastford, Connecticut. The house was built in 1806 for John Newman Sumner (1775-1831) who resided here until just before his death. The elaborate Federal period house was sold out of the family. After trading hands a half-dozen times, the property was purchased by David and Harriet Carpenter in 1881. The property remained in the Carpenter family for generations, and remained as such after Orlo Carpenter (1865-1938) was killed in the collapse of a barn during the hurricane of 1938. Architecturally, the house has all of the hallmarks of the Federal style, with the symmetrical main facade five bays wide, with a center entrance flanked by wide sidelights, and topped by a fanlight transom and corniced entablature. The window above the entrance is in the Palladian style, with a rounded center window flanked by narrower sashes. The house is very well preserved and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its architectural quality and preservation.

Michael Richmond House // c.1814

When the town of Ashford laid out a road across the land of Abner Richmond, he saw it as an opportunity to gift the newly organized plot across the road to his eldest son, Michael and his new wife, Polly as a wedding gift. Michael Richmond (1786-1881) built this Federal style house across the street from his father (see last post), likely employing the same builder, who employed similar design elements for both homes. In early life Michael learned saddle-making and afterward engaged in the manufacture of cloth, also axes. He was also engaged in staging and turnpike building, and in the mercantile business, until he retired at 60 years of age. He was a man of all trades! The house is now home to BOTL Farm, a pasture-based, sustainability-focused livestock farm that raises pigs, lambs, goats, and chickens ethically. Gotta love seeing farming coming back to Connecticut’s “Quiet Corner”!

Abner Richmond House // c.1803

This high-style Federal house sits across from the former Westford Baptist Church in Ashford, Connecticut. The house was built around 1803 for Abner Richmond (1761-1834) and his wife Eunice, who purchased 92-acres of land here one year earlier. Abner descended from John Richmond (1594-1664), one of the original white settlers of Taunton, Massachusetts in 1637. About ten years after he built his farmhouse, the town of Ashford paid the Richmond’s money for hardship caused by laying out a road right in front of the homestead. This 1812 occurrence possibly allowed the couple to invest further into the property, where they converted some of the rooms into a tavern, which was later accessible by the new Boston and Hartford Turnpike. The turnpike began in East Hartford and made its way through Ashford before winding its way to Boston. The house was documented as having 19th century stenciling on the walls, which survived underneath wallpaper (go figure). The new owners have clearly given the Richmond House some love and care, down to the perfect paint color.

Westford Baptist Church // 1840

The Baptist church in Westford (a village in northern Ashford, yes it’s a little confusing) was formed in 1780. Its growth in the town can largely be attributed to Reverend John Rathburn, who had moved to town from Stonington, and was ordained as its pastor in 1781. A membership of fifty-four was reported in 1795. By the late 1830s, the village thrived due to the success of local businessmen and later, thanks to the Westford Glass Company, located nearby. Members donated to build this Greek Revival style church on a prominent corner in town, replacing the former meetinghouse. By the late 20th century, the church saw dwindling membership and merged with another in town. This church was sold to a neighboring property and is privately owned today.