Corbett House // c.1789

The Corbett House is a charming Federal-period house in Westborough, Massachusetts, and was the birthplace of Henry W. Corbett, an important figure who helped develop Portland, Oregon in the 19th century. This house was built around 1789, the year that Henry’s parents, Elijah and Malinda Corbett, married. The property was farmed for years until Elijah Corbett began an axe manufacturing company here, becoming the first edge-tool manufacturer in Westborough. The rear ell was likely added in 1815 for this purpose. Elijah retired and the family sold the property in 1831 to Lawson Harrington, who continued the business until around the time of the Civil War. The Corbett family settled in New York, where Henry would engage in business. By the mid-19th century, westward expansion and opportunity took hold, and the Oregon Territory became a U.S. territory, leading Henry to establish business there, followed by many of his siblings. Corbett set sail from New York on the long voyage through the Straits of Magellan around Cape Horn up the Pacific Coast to Portland with $25,000 worth of goods to establish business in this new territory. Henry would become City Treasurer of Portland, member of the city council and chairman of the Republican Oregon State central committee. In 1867, he was elected as a Republican to the United States Senate, serving until 1873. Who would have guessed that this house in Westborough would have connections to the growth of Portland, Oregon!?

Nathan Fisher House // 1822

In 1820, Nathan Austin Fisher (1796-1851) purchased land along the Boston-Worcester Turnpike in Westborough, Massachusetts with the aim to build a home for his new wife, Susan T. Lothrop. By 1822, he had built a five-bay, center-hall Federal style estate house on the property and the couple began to raise their family. By 1826, Nathan and his brother-in-law, Joseph Lothrop, had opened a store in a section of Fisher’s house, which had been added for that purpose, presumably the western (left) three bays of the structure. Joseph Lothrop would build a Federal style residence on the opposite side of the turnpike that same year. When the railroad came to Westborough, turnpike traffic slowed, and the new rail line went through the center of town, bypassing the Fisher House and store, causing it to fail. Fisher and Nothrop would eventually leave Worcester County, and the property was sold numerous times until 1919, when this property was purchased by the Lyman School. The Fisher House became a residence for younger, special-needs boys to insulate them from the main population of Lyman, a reform school for the education and vocational training of wayward boys. In 1938, the house was converted back to a two-family home and used by families of Lyman School employees until the Lyman School closed in 1972, leaving the iconic Nathan Fisher House vacant for decades. After a failed attempt to convert the property into a house museum, the property was purchased by a local business, Release Well Being Center, and has been lovingly restored and maintained ever-since!

Parker-Maynard Homestead // 1777

Hidden away on a quiet country road in Westborough, Massachusetts, the Parker-Maynard Homestead sits as one of the best-preserved and significant properties in town. Revolutionary War veteran Isaac Parker (1750-1798), after the war, acquired land in town and built a farmhouse here around 1777. Upon the time of his death in 1798, his property listed in his will included: a homestead farm, grist mill, saw mill, a small dwelling house, a horse stable, and a pew at the town meetinghouse. The property was acquired by brothers Ebenezer and Ephraim Maynard, who lived in the house together with their respective families. The Maynard brothers worked as wheelwrights and had their shop on the property for years. Ephraim Maynard’s eldest son, Horace Maynard (1814-1882) was born here and after graduating from Amherst College, moved to Tennessee to teach law at East Tennessee University before getting into politics. Horace served in Congress between 1858-1873 as a representative from Knoxville. He spent much of his first two terms in Congress fighting to preserve the Union, and during the Civil War, he consistently urged President Abraham Lincoln to send Union forces to free East Tennessee from its Confederate occupiers. After the war, he was appointed minister to Constantinople by President Grant in 1875. In 1880 he returned to the United States and was appointed Postmaster General by President Rutherford B. Hayes. Horace owned the family homestead following the death of his father and uncle, and often returned to Westborough to see family and get away from politics.

Rice-Harrington House // c.1731

This charming Federal style house sits on Maynard Street in Westborough, Massachusetts, and according to local records, dates to the early-mid 1700s. The property was originally owned by Eliezer Rice (1703-1767), a farmer and town constable, and likely built around the time of his marriage to Persis Newton, who died in 1746 during childbirth. After Eliezer’s death, the property was owned by an E. Harrington, who likely rotated the earlier structure 90 degrees and built the Federal style residence facing the street, utilizing the 100-year old house as a rear kitchen ell, or completely modernized the old residence, retaining the central chimney. The Federal house features a symmetrical facade, pilastered entry with fanlight transom window, and a large central chimney.

Dr. Edwin B. Harvey House // c.1830

Edwin Bayard Harvey (1834-1913) was born in Deerfield, New Hampshire, and attended Wesleyan University in Connecticut, pursuing his career as a teacher. He would teach for a few years until he shifted gears and enrolled at Harvard Medical School, graduating in 1866. With the intention of settling in the West, he went to Waukegan, Illinois, but was not satisfied, so he returned to New England, and made his home in Westborough, Massachusetts. Edwin operated a medical office from this house on West Main Street and resided here with his family until his death in 1913. He often made house calls around town travelling by horseback. During his time in Westborough, Dr. Harvey served as President of the Massachusetts Medical Society from 1898-1900, and served on local school and library boards in Westborough. Never giving up on his push for education, as a State Senator in the legislature in 1884, Dr. Harvey introduced and was instrumental to the passage of a bill to provide free textbooks to the children of the state. The Dr. Edwin Harvey House remains in a great state of preservation.

Ludo Poole House // 1829

Rockland, Massachusetts, was first populated by European settlers in 1673 as the northeastern region of the town of Abington. The town separated and incorporated as Rockland in 1874, due, in part, to issues on how the town spent its tax dollars on schools. The town name was likely selected due to the rocky soil found there, which was better-suited for mulls and industry than for farming. The Ludo Poole House, seen here, was built in 1829 at the corner of Union and Exchange streets, at an intersection which became known as ‘Poole’s Corner’. The house was built for Mr. Ludo Poole (1803-1870) and his new wife, Mary Josselyn Poole, who would raise eight children here. The property was inherited by the couple’s eldest son, Ludo Augustus Poole, who worked at a local shoe manufacturer and served in the American Civil War. The property remained in the Poole family until 1951. The property was owned in the late 20th century by John Burrows, who renovated the interior thoughtfully to blend original Federal-period elements with English Arts and Crafts style.

Highfields Estate // 1821

Constructed in 1821 for Joshua King (1783-1849), this Federal style mansion is one of the last country estates in Abington, Massachusetts. Joshua King was a Deacon of a local church and a well-to-do citizen in town, living nearby until a hurricane blew the roof off of his former house. Seeking to rebuilt a new, more substantial family home, it is said that Joshua required that this house would be built to last centuries, with some residents stating that the roof structure itself had enough timber to build a second home. The Federal style mansion has three chimneys with 12 fireplaces inside, and is set amongst rolling fields bounded by old stone walls, likely giving the property its name, “Highfields”. The property was later converted to a duplex, but retains much of its original design at the exterior. 

Joseph Cleverly House and Shop // 1832

This late example of a Federal style five-bay house is located at 78 Adams Street in Abington, Massachusetts. The house was constructed in 1832 for Joseph Cleverly (1797-1888), a shoe manufacturer who married Sally Gloyd, the daughter of a wealthy shoe manufacturer in town. Mr. Cleverly built the adjacent stable and shop where he held his horses and manufactured his products. The vernacular barn/shop is a rare survivor of the type and is a visual representation as to the importance of shoe manufacturing for the town of Abington.

John L. Sullivan House // c.1812

This modified Federal style cottage in Abington, Massachusetts, is known locally as the last home of World Heavyweight Champion bare knuckle boxer, John L. Sullivan. John Sullivan (1858-1918) died in this house on February 2, 1918, of heart disease, but left behind a legacy that will last forever. The house was originally constructed around 1812 for Jacob Cobb, a Deacon of a local church and after successive ownership, the house was purchased by boxer John Sullivan, to celebrate his retirement. As a professional fighter Sullivan was nicknamed The Boston Strongboy, and was one of the first great American boxers and was the last world champion bare-knuckle boxer. He had a record of 47 wins, 1 loss and 2 draws, with 38 wins by knockout in his career. Sullivan’s blustering personality and fabled strength gained him a great following, and he would be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame as part of its original class. As champion he earned more than $1 million but squandered it. A hard drinker during his ring career, he later became an advocate of prohibition and delivered many lectures on the subject. His brick Federal house in Abington was modernized by him, adding the dormer and full-length front porch supported by rubblestone columns.

Dr. Gridley Thaxter House // 1798

The Dr. Gridley Thaxter House on Washington Street in Abington, Massachusetts, is one of the most significant properties in the South Shore town, not only for its architecture, but also its owners. The house was built in 1798 for Dr. Gridley Thaxter (1756-1845), a ship’s surgeon in the Navy during the American Revolution. He married Sarah Lincoln (1761-1810), the daughter of Benjamin Lincoln of Hingham, a Major General in the Revolution and served from 1781 to 1783 as the first United States Secretary of War. Dr. Thaxter and his new bride acquired land in Abington, and moved there where he would serve as the town’s doctor. After his death, the property was inherited by Elizabeth Thaxter Hunt, the couple’s daughter, and her husband, Joseph Hunt. It was Elizabeth, who added the Italianate window hoods and a cupola (since removed) at the roof, “modernizing” the family homestead.