Hotel Essex – Plymouth Rock Building // 1900

The construction of a new South Station Terminal in 1899, prompted a development boom for the nearby area, which had for the previous decades been almost entirely mercantile and centered around the leather and woolen industries. Due to increased land values and an influx of travelers to the area, developers saw an opportunity to erect this building to serve as a hotel for visitors to Boston via South Station. Boston architect, Arthur H. Bowditch, furnished plans for this building in the Beaux Arts/Renaissance Revival style, with use of brick and limestone construction, ornate finishes at the façade including the fluted pilasters, arches and cartouches in the spandrels. The building was completed in 1900 and known as Hotel Essex and featured a long, storied history as a hotel until it closed in the second half of the 20th century. After years of deteriorating conditions, the building was adapted as the corporate offices for Plymouth Rock Assurance Corporation in 1982. The building was restored and has been known as the Plymouth Rock Building ever since.

Cornwall Hollow Baptist Church // 1844

During the nineteenth century several small, rural settlements dotted the landscape of Cornwall, Connecticut. The hamlet of Cornwall Hollow this building, the Baptist Church, and contained a tannery, store, gristmill, sawmill and cemetery. The church at Cornwall Hollow was erected following dissolution of the Baptist congregation at nearby Cream Hill in 1843. A new church constitution was adopted in 1844 and this new meetinghouse erected the following year. At its height the congregation included 100 members. The Greek Revival style church once had a belfry, but it was removed sometime in the 20th century, likely due to repair costs. The interior included a curved ceiling, and windows line the side elevations. The congregation saw dwindling numbers and closed in the early 20th century. It is now privately owned, but lovingly preserved.

Cornwall Bridge Railroad Station // 1886

One of the most attractive railroad depots in Connecticut, the Cornwall Bridge Railroad Station exists in almost complete originality. Its siding is board and batten and its slate roof with a wide overhang supported by the original brackets, showcases the attention to detail railroad companies paid to design and appoint these important landmarks. Built in 1886, the building can be classified as Stick Style and is one of a few buildings in town of the style, adding to its significance. The station was built by the Housatonic Railroad to replace an earlier station on the site. The Housatonic line was acquired by the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad in 1892 and later by the Penn Central Railroad in 1969, which went bankrupt by 1970. This station was subsequently sold to private ownership and listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a tool to bring awareness to its significance and threatened status. Luckily, the building was preserved and has been converted to a private residence.

West Cornwall Congregational Church // 1877

One of the few Gothic style buildings in the enchanting town of Cornwall, Connecticut is this large church-turned-residence in West Cornwall village. As West Cornwall developed in the second half of the 19th century into the largest district in town, residents here began to discuss the idea of building their own Congregational church, rather than travel to the central village church to attend services. In the 1870s, West Cornwall congregationalists raised over $4,000 to acquire a building lot and erect this fine church. Dedicated in January 1878, the wood-frame church is a rare example of the Victorian Gothic/Stick styles with clapboard siding, lancet (pointed arched) windows, a corner tower with belfry, vertical sheathing in the gables, and ornamental applied stickwork. The church closed in the 20th century and was converted to a private residence, and is presently for sale!

Newport Old Fire Station Hose No. 8 // 1887

One of the charming converted old fire stations of Newport, Rhode Island, can be found tucked away on Prospect Hill Street. This is Hose No. 8 Fire Station, built in 1887 by the City of Newport as a neighborhood station to battle fires in the dense network of streets and homes Downtown. The design blends Romanesque Revival and Victorian Gothic elements into a compact, two-story brick building. The station was closed in 1912 as the structure no-longer was compatible with larger fire apparatus and gasoline-powered trucks. The building would suffer from neglect and was crumbling, before being reconstructed, brick-by-brick, and restored by Hacin Architects of Boston as a private residence. The structure is essentially new on the interior but provides a significant preserved exterior that was long part of the eclectic streetscape of Prospect Hill Street.

Rockland Railroad Station // 1917

Welcome to Rockland, Maine! Originally called Catawamteak by the Abenaki, meaning “great landing place”, Rockland was first settled by European settlers in In 1769 as a camp to produce oak staves and pine lumber. In 1777, when Thomaston was incorporated, present-day Rockland became a district called Shore village. In 1848, it was set off as the town of East Thomaston and renamed Rockland in 1850. The coastal community grew quickly as a shipbuilding and lime production center, with upwards of 300 vessels to transport the mineral to various ports in the country for the building of communities all down the coast. The opening of the Knox and Lincoln Railroad in 1871 brought an influx of tourists and businesses, creating a development boom for the community. The line was leased to the Maine Central Railroad in 1891, which took over ownership in 1901. The Rockland Railroad Station, seen here, was built in 1917, just before the government took over the railroads during World War IArchitects Coolidge and Shattuck designed the station in the Romanesque Revival style with the oversized arched openings at the windows and main entrance. The rise of the automobile industry would further harm rail service and usage, and the Rockland Branch officially closed in 1959. The old Rockland branch station operated as the Rockland Town Hall for decades and is now occupied by a local restaurant, Trackside Station.

Wadsworth School // 1897

The former Wadsworth School of Danvers, Massachusetts, was built in 1897 as a district schoolhouse for the growing town and is one of the finest examples of a school building designed in the Colonial Revival style in the state. The large building held four classrooms (two on each floor) for over 200 pupils with stairhalls at either entrance and was designed by local architect, William H. Pearce. The school was in use until the 1970s when the town consolidated many of the schools, selling this building as excess. The property was converted to offices and given a preservation restriction by the town, protecting it as a local landmark for generations to come!

Former Weeks Junior High School – Weeks House // 1931

Adaptive reuse projects will ALWAYS get love on here!

Originally constructed in 1931 as the Weeks Junior High School in Newton Centre, Newton, this architecturally significant school building is the finest local example of the Tudor Revival style in that use. The Weeks School was designed by Ralph Coolidge Henry and Henry Parsons Richmond, architects who were draftsmen for Guy Lowell, one of the greats, and the successors to his practice upon his death in 1927. The design for the Weeks School is of traditional brick and cast stone, with its main entrance through a large Gothic arch at the center of the building. Two wings extend parallel to the tower and then bend back at 45-degree angles, creating the distinctive U-shaped form, which provided ample natural light in all classrooms. After a consolidation of local schools in the mid-20th century, the Weeks School closed, but was beautifully rehabbed in 1984 into housing as the Weeks House. Today, the building is comprised of mixed income housing of about 75, one-, two- and three-bedroom units.

Former Newton Centre Methodist Episcopal Church // 1899

This building, the former Newton Centre Methodist Episcopal Church, is Romanesque in style, and is one of the more notable adaptive reuse projects in Newton. The church was designed by the esteemed architectural firm of Andrews, Jacques & Rantoul and completed in 1899 for the local Methodist Episcopal congregation. The edifice is built of locally quarried rubblestone, often called Roxbury Puddingstone, and trimmed with rough cut Milford granite. The granite is used at the windows, forming the arches and heads, and most strikingly in the large arched entrance. The church eventually closed and was renovated with modern windows, additions, and more, and currently houses a restaurant, bank, book store, and professional offices.

New Gloucester Old High School – New Gloucester Public Library // 1902

This building, the present New Gloucester Public Library, was originally constructed in 1902 as the town’s high school, a use that remained until 1962, when pupils would go to a modern school building in nearby Gray, Maine. The building is an excellent example of the Colonial Revival style with a symmetrical facade dominated by a row of multi-light windows separated by paneling, a segmental-arched dormer, and cupola at the roof with a bell. When the high school moved to its present location, this building sat vacant for some time and would be occupied by the New Gloucester Historical Society for storage and display of their collections until the public library moved into the building by the early 1990s.