Leventhal House // 1949

An early and distinctive example of an architect-designed Modern/International style residence, the Leventhal House in Newton has been lovingly updated and restored by owners since it was built in 1949. Boston-based Modernist architect, Samuel Glaser, designed the jewel-box Leventhal House for Muriel and Norman B. Leventhal, founder and chairman of The Beacon Companies, a developer and manager of office buildings, housing, and hotels in the Boston area. The Leventhal’s were also collectors of historic maps and in 2004, partnered with the Boston Public Library creating the Norman B. Leventhal Map Center at the Boston Public Library which make many historic maps available for research. The Leventhal House stands on a steep rise at the base of Oak Hill and was built soon after the adjacent 1946 Kaplan House designed by Walter Gropius and the Architects Collaborative. The property has been recently restored by Flavin Architects, who did an exceptional job to modernize this early Modern home for 21st century living, while staying true to the significance and architectural qualities of the 1949 design.

Gamewell Fire Alarm and Telegraph Company Factory // 1889

The Gamewell Fire Alarm and Telegraph Company traces its roots to the pioneering work of William Francis Channing and Moses Farmer of Boston, whose 1850s telegraph-based fire alarm system was the first practical fire alarm box system that consisted of telegraph-based boxes placed on street corners, which, when activated, sent a coded signal to a central fire station notifying them of a fire or emergency. The duo applied for a patent for their “Electromagnetic Fire Alarm Telegraph for Cities” which was later acquired by John Gamewell of South Carolina. Following the Civil War, Gamewell partnered with Kennard and Company and built a factory in Newton Highlands in 1873. The company would adopt the trademark of a fist gripping lightningbolts, and by 1886, the Gamewell system was operating in over 250 cities in the United States and Canada. As the company grew operations, the business moved to this site in the Upper Falls village in 1889, which was desirable for its close proximity to the railroad and markets all over the region. The first factory was the two-story wooden factory building completed in 1889, with later wings to its east (1904) and west (1912) as the company continued to expand into the 20th century. The Gamewell company remained here until the 1970’s when Gamewell became a division of Gulf and Western. Luckily, the former factory was restored by owners Alexandria Properties and architects, Kraus Associates, as Telegraph, which now offer retail and office space for small local businesses

Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Catholic Church and Rectory // 1909 & 1938

At the turn of the 20th century, Newton’s Upper Falls village was an industrial center in the region, with factories employing hundreds of workers, primarily recent immigrants from Ireland and Italy. A Catholic parish in Newton was originally established in the 1840s and within decades, the Roman Catholic church here included between 1,000-1,200 Catholics as far as Needham and Newton Centre. Originally known as St. Mary’s Catholic Church, the former structure was located on Chestnut Street in the village, but was eventually outgrown by the congregation. Ecclesiastical architect from Boston, Edward T. P. Graham, drew plans for the new church, which is unlike the typical Neo-Gothic edifices built in the early 20th century around Boston. The blending of Classical and Renaissance Revival styles works well with the design of Mary Immaculate of Lourdes in Newton, with its monumental classical portico and tympanum with figures in a bas-relief in the Classical style and the Italian Renaissance campanile with balconies and hipped roof towering over the structure. Inside, the sanctuary is illuminated by stained glass windows by Franz Xaver Zettler of Munich, Germany, which were custom-made for the church. On an adjoining lot, Timorthy G. O’Connell, a prominent Boston-area ecclesiastical architect, designed the parish rectory in 1938 in the Colonial Revival style.

Pettee Stone Barn // 1839

This historic stone barn in Newton’s Upper Falls village is representative of the ingenuity and resourcefulness of this once thriving nineteenth century mill village. Known as the Pettee Stone Barn, the structure dates to 1839 when Otis Pettee (1795-1853), who managed an iron foundry and machine-works for cotton machinery, built this structure as a warehouse. The barn was said to have been used additionally as a location for raising silkworms by Pettee’s company. After the business closed, the handsome barn was used later in the 19th and early 20th century as a carriage and horse barn for a shipping company and today, is rented to local businesses. Architecturally, the barn is significant for its use of fieldstone walls with door and window surrounds of cut stone and brick. A monitor roof runs the length of the gable ridge and illuminates the interior spaces. The Stone Barn remains remarkably preserved today and is a landmark in the community. 

Hills Library – Andover Newton Theological School // 1895

The Hills Library is a formal building standing at the summit of Institution Hill, so-named as the home of the Newton Theological Institution (and most recently as the Andover Newton Theological School). The library was constructed in 1895 from plans by architects Henry H. Kendall and Edward F. Stevens of the firm, Kendall & Stevens. Designed in 1894 in the Neo-Classical style, the library has a stately portico in the Ionic order with a pediment above. The building is constructed of yellow brick with stone and terracotta trimmings with banks of vertical windows. The library would be added onto at the rear, with the main entrance later closed for an accessible entrance in a rear addition. The building is now known as the Hanns Sachs Memorial Library for the current owners and stewards, the Boston Psychoanalytic Society & Institute (BPSI).

Former Newton Centre Branch Library // 1927

Formerly the Newton Centre Branch Library, this building was one of five branch libraries funded in Newton, Massachusetts by citizen subscription between 1926 and 1939 and turned over to the city. Like most of the others, the building is a small-scale, one story brick library of a Tudor Revival style. The building was designed by the firm of Ritchie, Parsons & Taylor and constructed in 1927. Architect James H. Ritchie was born and educated in Scotland, relocating to Boston and lived in Newton Centre, in two houses he built for his family. The Newton Centre Branch Library was one of the six branch libraries to close in 1991 when the main library opened, consolidating the neighborhood libraries under one roof; the remaining four closed in 2008 due to a budget cut. Today the Newton Centre branch library building serves as the Newton Health Department offices. Thanks to the Community Preservation Act, funds have been allocated to preserve and restore the building for another 100 years.

First Baptist Church in Newton // 1888

The Boston area has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to Richardsonian Romanesque style buildings, due in part to its namesake, Henry Hobson Richardson lived and worked locally. One of my all-time favorites is the First Baptist Church in Newton Centre. The church was designed by architect John Lyman Faxon, who was clearly influenced by Richardson. The First Baptist Church in Newton is among the oldest Baptist congregations in the state. Baptists were recorded as living in Newton as early as the 1720’s, but growth was slow and marked by persecution. In 1780, a congregation was assembled and the next year a rough, unplastered barn like meeting house was begun alongside Baptist Pond (now Crystal Lake). Fifteen years later, the congregation was finally able to afford a stove; twenty one years later, in 1802, the structure was enlarged. In 1836, the congregation constructed a larger meeting house in a more convenient location, the corner of Beacon and Center Streets. The second building was remodelled in 1856 and 1869 and finally was moved from the site to make way for the present church, the third meeting house, dedicated in November 1888. The First Baptist Church is undergoing some work at the exterior at the time of the photo, but the amazing brownstone trim and the winged creatures on four sides of the octagonal tower still shine!

Sacred Heart Church, Newton // 1899

Built in the Italian Renaissance Revival style by architects Rand & Taylor, the Sacred Heart Church in Newton Centre of 1899 reflects much of the lesser-known history of the affluent suburb of Boston. As Newton’s population nearly doubled between 1870 (12,800) and 1890 (24,000), many Irish Catholic residents who worked in the mills and factories of the Upper and Lower Falls areas of town began to move to the suburbs, taking jobs at households of the affluent class in Newton Centre, as cooks, maids, gardeners and more. Residents of Newton Centre wanted a Catholic Church closer to their homes and work, so they established their own congregation in 1890. As the congregation grew, it was obvious that a new church in Newton Centre would be needed to provide services there. Ground broke on the church by 1891, but it took nearly 10 years until the building was completed. Architect Bertram Taylor of the firm Rand & Taylor, and resident of Newton Centre, is credited with designing the large edifice, which is dominated by twin hipped-roof bell towers. The interior of the church has some of the most elaborate plaster work in the Boston area and stained glass windows lining the walls. Early Pastors of Sacred Heart included two who went on to important posts: Francis C. Spellman (1933-39) became Archbishop of New York; and Richard J. Cushing (1939-44) became Archbishop of Boston.

Augustus Wiswall House // c.1870

Augustus Curtis Wiswall was born in Exeter, NH in 1823. At seventeen, he moved to Boston and sought to live life on the open seas. He saw a ship docked called the “Republic” which was about to set sail to Calcutta. He took several other jobs as he hoped for more adventure as a young man. His final voyage was with a general cargo ship to Brazil. On route, several lawless members of the crew rose up in open mutiny, murdering the captain and first-mate, seizing control of the vessel. Loyal to the captain, Augustus was stabbed but was allowed to live as he was the only man capable of navigating back to land. The small crew scuttled the larger ship and manned the small boat surviving on minimal food. They made it to Rio De Janeiro and managed to board a vessel back to Boston. Wiswall never shared his story but to his wife, who in turn shared his stories after his death. His life back home was more calm, after living in the south and midwest during the Civil War, he moved back to Massachusetts and he bought land in Newton’s Lower Falls village building this home. He operated a paper mill in the village and was active in the local church until his death in 1880.