Bugbee Memorial Library // 1901

The Bugbee Memorial Library sits on Main Street in Danielson, the main village in the town of Killingly, Connecticut. The library was built in 1901 and financed by a bequest from Edwin Holmes Bugbee, who made his fortune at local mills. When Bugbee died in 1900, his estate left his entire collection of books along with funds for a new library for Danielson. Boston architect Walter Jefferson Paine designed the library building in the Classical Revival style with buff brick and stone construction. The names of Homer, Virgil, Plato and Horace, along with Shakespeare, Milton and Dante, are boldly emblazoned across the facade denoting the building as a house of learning. The library was outgrown, and a new library was built nearby in 1994. The old Bugbee Memorial Library has since been occupied by the Killingly Historical Society.

Patrick Dempsey Cottage // c.1875

This charming mini-mansard summer cottage is located in the coastal neighborhood of Salem Willows, in Salem, Massachusetts. The neighborhood developed in the 1870s-1900s as a summer colony for middle-income families who wanted a second home away from the hustle-and-bustle of urban living in favor of ocean breezes. The cottage likely dates to the mid-1870s as one of the earliest summer homes in the neighborhood, and historic maps show it was owned by a P. Dempsey. It appears this is Patrick Dempsey (1821-1902), an Irish immigrant who settled in Lowell, Massachusetts, making it big as a liquor dealer and saloon-keeper. The Second Empire style cottage has a partially enclosed porch, but retains much of its original character and is located right on the water with sweeping views of the Atlantic Ocean.

Effingham Academy // 1819

The small town of Effingham, New Hampshire, is the home to the state’s first Normal School. This building was originally constructed in 1819 as a vernacular, Federal period academy for the youth in the rural town of Effingham on land formerly owned by wealthy resident Isaac Lord. A normal school for the training of teachers was established on the school building’s second floor in 1830 with James W. Bradbury, a Bowdoin College graduate, to head it. Bradbury, later a United States Senator, took the position only on condition that it should be for the instruction and training of teachers, a novel idea at the time. The school, like many small academy buildings of the period, eventually closed. The building is now managed by the Effingham Historical Society.

New England Masonic Charitable Institute // 1858

The New England Masonic Charitable Institute building is located in Center Effingham, New Hampshire, and is among the rural town’s most impressive structures. The structure was built in 1858 by the Charter Oak Lodge No. 58 of Free and Accepted Masons as a school to educate orphans of Masonic members, but they also admitted local students. It is the only known school building purposely constructed by Masons in the United States. Classes were conducted from 1861 to roughly 1882 with students boarding with local families. The impressive Italianate style building is dominated by a six-story bell tower supporting an octagonal cupola, and exhibits many architectural details including the corner quoins, paired eave brackets, and dentilled cornice. Charter Oak Lodge No. 58 sold the building to the Town of Effingham in 1891 for one dollar but retained rights to the second floor temple room in perpetuity. The walls and ceilings of the Lodge’s temple space are covered with trompe l’oeil murals attributed to Massachusetts painter Philip A. Butler. Images of classic sculptures, architectural details and Masonic symbols, including the All-Seeing Eye, are incorporated into the paintings. Heavily water-damaged in the late 1980s, they have since been restored. The building remains occupied by the Effingham Public Library, what a library building for a town of just 1,700 residents!

A. M. Donna end House // 1928

Abraham Malcolm Sonnabend was born in Boston on December 8, 1896, the son of Esther and Joseph Sonnabend. Sonnabend graduated from Harvard College in 1917 in order to enlist at the outbreak of the Great War. At the end of World War I, Sonnabend joined his father’s real estate organization. He married Esther Lewitt in 1920, and by 1927, he had increased his real estate holdings to a net worth of $350,000. Just before the 1929 stock market crash, Sonnabend hired Boston architect Sumner Schein to design this Tudor Revival style home, on a site formerly occupied by a larger Queen Anne style residence. Built in 1928, the Tudor Revival house features clinker brick walls with cast stone trim and a two-story castellated bay all capped by a slate roof. The enterprising A. M. Sonnabend would eventually outgrow this modest Tudor home after he got into hotels as investments. In 1944, Sonnabend (with seven partners) acquired a package of Palm Beach, Florida hotels for $2.4 million including the Biltmore, Whitehall and the Palm Beach Country Club. He would sell the Biltmore to Conrad Hilton for a massive profit. In 1956, Sonnabend created the Hotel Corporation of America (HCA) and grew the business to new heights. The 1928 Sonnabend House is significant architecturally and as the first purpose-built property by the late-developer.

Ashford Academy // 1825

Built in 1825, the Ashford Academy school building is the last remnant of what was Ashford, Connecticut’s once thriving town center. The taverns, church and businesses which were once located here have almost entirely been razed, leaving just this school building as the remaining structure. Ashford Academy was founded about 1825 when a group of citizens raised funds toward adding a second story to a schoolhouse then under construction in the town center. Only one teacher was hired per term, and some years there were no academy classes at all. The last academy session was held in 1875, though the building continued in use as a district school until 1949. The building is significant, not only for its siting and connections with the town’s early days, but also architecturally as a high-style school building for a more rural setting.

Butterfield Mansion – Derby Line Village Inn // 1903

Once described in a local history book as: “The largest, most glamorous home ever built in this [Derby Line] village”, the Butterfield Mansion is one of Northern Vermont’s best early 20th century houses. The house was built between 1901-1903 for Gen. Franklin G. Butterfield (1842-1916) who before this, received the country’s highest award for bravery during combat, the Medal of Honor, for his action at Salem Heights, Virginia on May 4, 1863 during the American Civil War. He would eventually move to Derby, Vermont, where he established the Butterfield Company, who specialized manufacturing axle cutters. Butterfield hired architects, James T. Ball and Gilbert H. Smith of Boston, who also designed the Haskell Free Library and Opera House in town that same year, to design his Colonial Revival mansion and intact carriage house. Today, the Butterfield Mansion is known as the Derby Line Village Inn.

Derby Line Border Station // 1932

Located on the border of Canada in the northern part of Vermont, Derby is a charming town named after Derby, in England.  Located in the region known as the Northeast Kingdom, the area has benefitted from timber, maple sugaring, hop vineyards, and dairy production in its history since it was settled in 1795. This border crossing is located between the villages of Derby Line, Vermont and Stanstead, Quebec, both of which are developed up to the border, and without the security and signage, you’d never guess they are different countries! The cross-border relationship was cemented in part by the construction in 1904 of the Haskell Free Library and Opera House (last post), which straddles the border and provides library services to both communities. This station was formally opened in 1932, when the main building was completed. It is one of several standardized inspection station layouts developed by the United States Treasury Department, and was the largest and most architecturally sophisticated of those built in Vermont in the 1930s. It was built as part of a program to improve border security developed to respond to increased use of the automobile, increased illegal border crossing, and smuggling related to Prohibition. After the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the border was secured and a new station directly on the border was built.

St. Denis Catholic Church // 1838

Believe it or not, this church in rural Whitefield, Maine is the second oldest Catholic Church in New England! As Irish and French Canadian families settled in this part of Maine in the early 19th century, Catholic churches were needed to provide worship space for those families. The church community of St. Denis began in 1818 when Father Dennis Patrick Ryan, an Irish immigrant serving at St. Patrick Church in Newcastle (the oldest Catholic Church in New England), moved to Whitefield to serve the influx of Irish Catholics and soon founded the church. Fr. Ryan oversaw the construction on a wood-frame structure built on this site. As more Catholic families settled here, a more permanent building was needed, and between 1833 and 1838, the main portion of the present brick church building was constructed around that original church. The tower was added in 1861, and the stained glass windows also date from later in the 19th century following the growth and prosperity of the church and its members. The St. Denis Parish House was constructed across the street in 1871 and is a lovely Romanesque style building.

Yale University – Yale Art Gallery Building // 1928

One of the most visually stunning and unique buildings in New England is the 1928 Yale Art Gallery building, which is connected to Street Hall (last post) via a skybridge over High Street. Completed in 1928, the Yale Art Gallery was designed by relatively little-known, but significant 20th century architect, Egerton Swartwout. Swartwout graduated from Yale College in 1891 with a B.A. degree and with no formal architecture training, was hired as a draftsman at the illustrious firm of McKim, Mead & White in New York before running his own office, Tracy and Swartwout. Built in a Gothic Renaissance style inspired by Italian buildings such as the Bargello in Florence, the sandstone masonry structure commands the prominent site with a corner tower and facade fronted by five gothic arched windows. Inside, visitors are transported to a historic Italian art museum within the Gallery Wing, with the full-height Gothic windows with walls, floors and ceilings restored and lined in stone.