A stellar example of a vernacular commercial building in New England, the Remick Store on Main Street in Tamworth, New Hampshire, has been reinvisioned in the 21st century to suit the changing needs of the community. The block was built around the time of the Civil War by Levi Remick, who either modernized and enlarged his father’s store or built it anew. Levi’s father, Enoch Remick operated a stagecoach stop and inn in Tamworth Village and also worked as the county Sheriff from his large farmhouse. Levi & grandson, Charles ran the store under the name “Levi Remick & Son”, which later trasferred to Charles’ sons, Waddy and Earle. After successive ownership, the store closed its doors for business in early 2009 and was renovated and re-opened in 2011 as the Tamworth Lyceum, which besides containing a store, it includes a gathering space for lectures, wine and beer tastings, music and community events, and an art studio, serving as an informal community space.
This iconic Boston building is threatened with demolition!
The clock is ticking for the Alley/Eblana Brewery, a historically and architecturally significant building in Boston’s Mission Hill neighborhood. Located on Heath Street, the historic Alley Brewery, also known as the Eblana Brewery, stands as a striking reminder of the city’s once-thriving brewing industry. Founded by Irish immigrant John R. Alley (1822-1888) in the mid-1880s, the brewery produced the popular Eblana Irish Ale, a name derived from the ancient term for Dublin, reflecting Alley’s heritage and the strong Irish influence in the area. John Alley previously co-owned the Highland Spring Brewery nearby, but founded a brewery in his own name in 1885. For his brewery, Alley hired Philadelphia architect Otto C. Wolf, who was the nation’s premier brewery architect and engineer in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The four-story complex was built in 1886 and showcased some of the most advanced brewing technology of its era while displaying an impressive blend of brick and granite craftsmanship. Its distinctive façade features a dramatic central bay, granite-trimmed arches, rough-faced stone braces, wrought-iron gates, and carved stone plaques bearing Alley’s initials and the date of construction. After John’s death in 1888, the business continued under the ownership of his two sons, Frederick and George. The brothers in 1899, added the adjacent bottling and refrigeration building, which employs similar architectural features and materials to the main brewery. Brewing here ceased with Prohibition and the structure later served a variety of manufacturing uses, when during the 1960s, many windows were filled with brick. The Alley-Eblana Brewery remains one of Boston’s most architecturally significant surviving brewery buildings, embodying Boston’s rich industrial and ethnic heritage, but it is threatened. Developers have owned the building since 2013 and have done nothing to preserve or even maintain the structure, making it a case of demolition by neglect. They are requesting to demolish both structures, but the demolition has been delayed 90-days through the Boston Landmarks Commission Demolition Delay review process. If you want to see the building repurposed and saved, reach out to the Boston Landmarks Commission and advocate for its adaptive reuse, which would provide housing and maintain a significant architectural landmark for the community.
Located on Main Street in Milford, Massachusetts, the stately Gillon Block is one of the town’s finest buildings and an excellent example of eclectic, late Victorian commercial architecture. The block was erected in 1888-9 for owner Patrick Gillon (1843-1899), who inherited his late-father’s distillery and bottling business in Milford, and designed by local architect Rinaldo V. Carey. The panel brick facade is divided into seven sections with a central projecting section topped by a tower capped by a copper onion dome. The four-story block included retail space at the ground floor with offices and meeting halls on the upper stories, rented to tenants and organizations.
The Thom Block on Main Street in Downtown Milford, Massachusetts, is a historic mixed-use commercial block built of locally quarried Milford “pink” granite. The structure was constructed in 1891 by owner (and likely builder), James Thom, who arrived to Milford around 1889 and was hired by the Milford Pink Granite quarries as a foreman. Mr. Thom was the target of a vicious attack by a disgruntled quarry-worker and James would submit his resignation, turning his pursuits toward a local bicycle and horse racetrack and two of the town’s semi-professional baseball teams. He also got involved in real estate, in 1891 submitting plans for this building on Main Street that bears his name. Shortly after completion, a fire gutted the inside of the building and was rebuilt. Thom’s insurance did not fully cover the loss and he defaulted on the mortgage, selling the building and moved out of Milford. The Thom Block retains the polychromatic piers between storefronts and at the corner, which feature rounded granite blocks of polychromatic polished granite. The major ornament of the upper stories is a large plaque on the Main Street facade just above the recessed entrance with two Corinthian colonettes, spanned by a frieze and plinth on which “THOM” and “1891” are carved, respectively, showing us over a century later the original owner and his story.
The Luther Store in Swansea, Massachusetts, is a historic commercial building constructed in 1815 and uncommon as a rare brick block with saltbox roof. The structure was built for John Brown Luther, and was operated by the Luther family as a store until 1903. The Luther’s Corner area was in the mid-19th century the economic center of Swansea, and Luther’s Store served as post office and library. The building was acquired in 1941 by the Swansea Historical Society, which now operates it as a local history museum following a restoration by Fall River architect, Maude Darling-Parlin.
Arguably the most recognizable and beloved building in Wrentham, Massachusetts, is this eclectic mid-19th century commercial building, known as the Wrentham Village Hall. The structure was originally constructed for Daniel A. Cook where he operated a store in the ground floor retail space and rented a meeting hall to local organizations above. The building was constructed around 1853 as a more vernacular building, but given its current appearance decades later when the ornate Stick style porches were added to the facade. While the building has served many uses over its history, the structure is suffering from some deterioration, which hopefully will not impact the rare surviving exposed porch framing and trusses, which give the building so much character.
One of the few historic commercial buildings in Hopedale Village is this Romanesque Revival style example on Hopedale Street which, like so many other buildings in the village, was largely funded by members of the Draper Family. The commercial block was built in 1889 by Gen. William F. Draper and named in honor of President Benjamin Harrison, 23rd president of the United States, as a multi-use building, containing a drug store, a retail, a club house on the second floor, a storage and cobbler at the rear of the building in the basement, and a lodge on the third floor for large meetings. Less ornate than many other buildings in town built for the Draper’s, all decorative features on the Harrison Block are confined to the façade. With original storefronts of wood and glass display windows at the ground floor, tripartite windows at the second floor, and large, round-arched windows at the third floor, evoking the Romanesque style of the Town Hall (also funded by the Draper Family) nearby.
The old Carriage Shop on Water Street in Warren, Rhode Island, is an early and surviving industrial building from the late 18th century that adds to the charm and history of the great waterfront town. The two-story building has a three-bay facade with a center entrance and 48-pane fixed sash windows on the first floor and 12-over-12 sash windows on the second floor. The stepped parapet masks the low gable roof of the building behind that extends far back in the lot. The building was a workshop and paint shop for Gardner & Hoar, builders and carpenters, in the mid-19th century, and later as a blacksmithing shop and carriage shop before the turn of the 20th century. Luckily for us, the building has been preserved and while not finding a place in architectural journals, the building is an important remaining building that strongly contributes to the character of the town.
This diminutive commercial building on Water Street in Warren, Rhode Island stands out as one of the state’s best examples of a historic Victorian-era wooden commercial building, and its preservation is notable. The late-Italianate style wooden block dates to 1883, and exhibits its original wooden storefronts, second floor round arched windows with stained glass, and ornate detailing including the brackets, parapet and period-appropriate paint colors which allow those details to pop. The shop was owned in its early days by the John C. Hall, a carpenter who built the house next door. The building was used as an antique shop on the ground floor with a studio for author and illustrator, David Macaulay on the second floor. These types of smaller-scale commercial spaces are some last remaining (relatively) affordable spaces for small businesses to operate, and they add so much intrigue to the streetscape, especially compared to suburban cookie-cutter banks and stores.
Built before the Revolutionary War, this charming building on Water Street in Warren, Rhode Island, dates to around 1760 and was The house was occupied by D. B. Wheaton as a residence and later by James Capper (1819-1891), an Irish immigrant who settled in Warren. James’ wife Ann, worked as a dressmaker and the couple sold goods out of the storefront in their residence. The retail storefront helps to tell the evolution of Water Street from a more industrial and residential street to a commercial corridor, similar to Main Street. The Wheaton-Capper House and Store legacy lives on with the building still occupied by a local business and residence.
The handsome rubblestone commercial block at the corner of Main and Water streets in Chester, Connecticut, was built in 1909 by Italian stone masons for Joseph H. Leet and contained a grain and feed store, with other spaces in the building rented out. Decades later, the old Leet Store became a auto repair shop and the upstairs space was used as a meeting hall and theater for the community. The building was restored in 1979 and expanded at the rear with a two-story wood-frame addition for additional commercial space.
Colloquially known as the “Stone Store,” this handsome stone structure in Chester Village, Connecticut, was built by William Buck in 1809, a merchant involved in the West Indies trade. The stone for the building is believed to have come from the Chester quarry in town and was likely more vernacular without the columned portico. The four-columned Doric portico was likely added in the 1830s or 1840s as the Greek Revival style surged in popularity. The two side wings were added in the 20th century. The Old Stone Store has held various uses from a store, tavern, post office and liquor store, while the upper floor has served as a private school, the town’s library and an apartment. The Old Stone Store today acts as the western terminus of the town’s Main Street commercial district.
One of the more impressive commercial blocks in Brookline is located at the corner of Washington Street and Davis Avenue in Brookline Village. The Seamans Block was developed by its namesake, James Manning Seamans (1834-1908), a wealthy grocer who operated a store from the building. The handsome masonry block was built from designs by the firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, a successor firm to H.H. Richardson. As partner of the firm, Charles H. Rutan lived just down Davis Avenue, it is likely that he was in charge of this design. The structure follows the Richardsonian Romanesque style, popularized by Richardson through the rounded corner and heavy arches, but is done entirely in brick rather than adding brownstone or terracotta detailing. The building has long been an excellent example of a historic “mixed-use” block with ground floor retain and apartments above, something that many new developments try and emulate today.
Located in the Chester Depot Village, a commercial and civic assortment of buildings constructed in the mid-19th century between the often feuding North and South villages in Chester, Vermont, this handsome commercial building contributes to the character and history of the once thriving commercial center of town. Built across the tracks of the Central Vermont Railroad from the town’s depot, this Italianate style building dates to about 1858 when a P. H. Robbins opened an all-in-one store, selling everything from groceries to hardware and building products. Mr. Marsh was later joined by Frederick W. Marsh, who entered into the business, then named the Robbins & Marsh Store. The business thrived with the close proximity to the railroad depot with later alterations to the building including the addition of plate glass storefronts and a massive side awning porch. Business slowed after WWII, as rail service slowed and ultimately stopped in town. Today, the handsome building remains as an important visual anchor to the depot village.