Old Ashby Academy – Ashby Grange Hall // 1820

In 1819, less than a decade after the First Parish Church in Ashby, Massachusetts was built, a group of parishioners split to form their own congregation, erecting this Federal style building as its new house of worship a year later. The congregation grew and eventually would build a new church, the Ashby Congregational Church, in 1835. The building was soon after, sold to a group of citizens interested in starting an academy. In 1836 they opened Ashby Academy, which offered education beyond the eighth grade for those who could afford it. Ashby Academy closed in 1860 and the Town of Ashby purchased the building in 1864 for a high school and town offices, a use that remained until a new school was built in 1902. Since the 1970s, the building has been occupied as a local grange hall, and maintained by a local group, the Friends of the Ashby Grange Hall. The building is a significant, transitional Federal/Greek Revival style building in town with its pediment and elliptical windows.

Asa Kendall House // c.1790

The Asa Kendall House is a significant Federal period house from the late 18th century on Richardson Road in Ashby, Massachusetts. The house here is actually believed to be the second built on this location, the first being the John Fitch House and Garrison. John Fitch was one of the earliest settlers in present-day Ashby, which in the mid-1700s, was sparsely developed and threats of attack by Native peoples limited development for decades. Due to raising tensions in the years leading up to the French and Indian War, Fitch petitioned the government for a garrison manned by three soldiers, which was approved. In 1745, the garrison was attacked and Fitch with his family, were kidnapped by Native Americans, held hostage for six months and brought up to Canada. The homestead and garrison were burned. He and his family were ransomed and would later return settling elsewhere in town. The former location of the garrison was purchased by Asa Kendall and this house was built around 1790 for him. The brick house with sloping wings was extensively documented as part of the Historic American Building Survey in 1936 and has been preserved by later owners ever-since!

First Parish Church of Ashby // 1809

Welcome to Ashby, Massachusetts; a rural and historic town that was first settled in 1676 but due to the continued threat of native hostilities, permanent European settlement in the town did not occur until about 1750. The town incorporated in 1767 and was reputedly named for the abundance and quality of white ash trees found in the area by early settlers. Today, the town has just over 3,000 residents. At the center of the town village, the First Parish Church of Ashby stands as a significant Federal-period meetinghouse, and an integral piece of the town’s history. The present building was constructed in 1809, replacing an earlier structure from 1771. Carpenters for the building were Joseph Kendall and Darius Wellington of Ashby, who utilized plans from Asher Benjamin’s American architectural pattern book of 1797. Facing the town common, the church is a two-story gable front building with a three-stage tower including an octagonal open belfry rising from the pedimented front pavilion.

Boston Flatiron – The Boxer Hotel // 1900

The interesting street-layout of the Bulfinch Triangle area of Boston created some oddly shaped triangular building lots which for decades, saw only small, modest wood-frame structures built upon them. By 1900, Boston’s own Flatiron Building (built two years before New York’s more iconic example) was constructed on this site and it has been an icon ever since. The structure was built by ownerCharles Pelham Curtis III (1860-1948), who was born in Boston and graduated from Harvard Law School and became a police commissioner and attorney in the city before moving into real estate development. He hired architect Stephen Codman to design this commercial block, which was rented out to local businesses and professional offices. The building has been home to a hotel for a number of decades, with a major renovation undertaken beginning in 2000, 100 years after the building was constructed. Three floors were added to the top of the original six-story, which are Modernistic in design with large expanses of windows within three center bays that align with the bays of the original building and which are defined by brick piers. The hotel today, The Boxer Hotel, perfectly blends the history of the building with modernity and style. What a gem of a building!

William L. Lockhart Company Building // 1887

This six-story brick and sandstone building at Causeway and Staniford streets near North Station in Boston was built in 1887 as the headquarters and sales center for William L. Lockhart & Co., manufacturers and wholesale dealers of coffins, caskets, and undertakers’ supplies, which at the time was considered the largest establishment of its kind in New England. The company had its factory in East Cambridge and built this structure as offices and sales rooms. The building is an excellent example of the Romanesque Revival style, which is typified by the use of round arched windows at the top floor and the use of inlaid carved stone panels. Frederick Nason Footman a relatively unknown architect is said to have designed the building for the Lockhart Company, with the building serving as an important piece of the company’s portfolio. Shop space was created on the street level, with the company’s offices, salesrooms and casket hardware department occupying the second floor, show rooms on the third floor, shipping department on the fourth floor and storage on the fifth and sixth floors. While the adjacent parcels have been razed and are still vacant, this building serves as an important visual gateway into what was once the West End, a neighborhood that was almost entirely demolished during urban renewal.

Bigelow-Stuntzner House // 1896

The Bigelow-Stuntzner House is a large, Colonial Revival style dwelling located on a side street in Norwood Center. The house was completed in 1896 for Waldo H. Bigelow (1856-1926), a lumber dealer with offices in Boston. Mr. Bigelow clearly used the best lumber for his own residence here in Norwood, and his Colonial Revival style house stands out for its gambrel gable which exhibits a modified Palladian window with diamond-shaped panes and a key stone arch. The central entrance is sheltered by a portico supported by Tuscan columns. In 1919, the house was sold to Guido Stuntzner (1876-1964), a German immigrant who arrived in the U.S. in 1887 and went on to become a successful Norwood businessman. The Stuntzer’s lived in the home through at least the 1960s.

Dr. Ralph Fogg House // 1893

Built in 1893, this house in Norwood, Massachusetts, was built for Dr. Ralph Fogg, a leading dentist in the Boston area with offices in Boston, Norwood, and Quincy. Dr. Fogg was dissatisfied with nitrous oxide gas as an anesthetic, as it failed to protect the patient against pain; and, in trying to find some harmless compound to accomplish the desired results, he produced the “Boston Vegetable Vapor,” an anesthetic to compete with nitrous oxide in markets. In 1885, the Boston Vegetable Anesthetic Company was formed for the purpose of placing the vapor in the market, and it was used by leading dentists across the country. With his dental practice growth and success of his new invention, Dr. Fogg and his new wife, Anna Saville, hired architect, Herbert Mosely, to design a stately home for their family. The Queen Anne/Shingle style house features a sophisticated use of stone, clapboard and wood shingle materials. It’s main facade is dominated by a broad gambrel gable with the main entrance set within a rusticated stone arch which is edged with large voussoir blocks.

Norwood Press Complex // 1897

Now that is an interesting example of adaptive use… What do you think of this?

The Norwood Press was formed in 1894 by several companies which consolidated to form a company that covered all aspects of the book-making process. AII three companies had been located in Boston, but were lured to Norwood by free land offered by the local Business Association along with tax incentives that were too good to pass up. The underutilized land was quickly redeveloped in the 1890s with the several-building complex built on Washington Street in Norwood, Massachusetts with the largest building (pictured) constructed in 1897. By 1904,the press room of this plant was one of the largest in the U.S.,producing nearly seven million volumes ranging from 100 to 1,600 pages each. By 1917, the Norwood Press employed 600 workers in town! The Romanesque Revival style brick factory stands out for its five-story clocktower with (now enclosed) arches and corbelling. The Norwood Press closed after WWII and the plant was purchased by the Northrup Company. Today, the warehouse is under new ownership and is used as a storage facility, with many of the windows enclosed for the storage units.

Norwood Theatre // 1927

The Norwood Theatre was built in 1927 as a high-style showpiece for the re-invigorated downtown of Norwood, Massachusetts. Built at the same time as the Norwood Town Hall building, the building was constructed at a time of great development in the town, as local entrepreneur and philanthropist, George Willet and landscape architect Arthur A. Shurcliff, created a plan to evolve Norwood from a sleepy rural town to a commercial center. Architect William G. Upham is credited with designing the theatre and he enjoyed a prolific career which encompassed the design of masonic temples, commercial blocks, theatres, homes, and of course, the Norwood Town Hall. The Norwood Theatre was designed in a high-style Spanish Renaissance Revival style and was designed for motion pictures but also included a stage for possible vaudeville and theatrical productions. By the mid-20th century, a Modern sign covered much of the original facade, and lasted until the building came under its current ownership in 2010. A careful two-year restoration brought the theatre back to its former glory.

Chickering Farmhouse // c.1807

The Chickering House at 101 Walpole Street is significant as one of the oldest extant houses in Norwood, Massachusetts. Although local lore dates this house to 1781, it likely dates to 1807 (or was adapted from an earlier house) and was owned by Deacon Dean and Sally Guild Chickering, who farmed on the lot. Three generations of Chickerings farmed the land here until the early 20th century, when John D. Chickering, a local historian, sold much of the land for suburban development. The Federal style farmhouse remains as a vestige of the early, pre-suburbanization that Norwood is now known for.

Norwood Odd Fellows Building // 1912

In the early 20th century, Norwood, Massachusetts, shifted from sleepy rural town to a commercial and population center with a population tripling in size between 1900 and 1930. Located on Washington Street, the town’s main commercial street, the Odd Fellows Building stands as a reminder of the historical importance to charitable and social organizations. Designed by Boston architect Clarence Blackall, the three story building is characterized by a boxy rectangular form, yellow and tan masonry with limestone and granite trimmings, and its somewhat minimal detailing. Built in 1912, the building’s first floor was designed to contain two stores, the second floor housed the club rooms and meeting hall, and third-story containing restrooms and a kitchen. The Classical Revival style building is one of the larger and more significant commercial structures in the town center.

Norwood Town Hall // 1928

Norwood Town Hall represents the achievement of landscape architect Arthur A. Shurtleff and local financier, George Willet, to transform the village center of Norwood, Massachusetts from a sleepy rural village to a thriving commercial and cultural center of town. Plans for the municipal building began as early as 1919, with this building serving as both a town hall and memorial to the Norwood men who died in all previous wars. The building would not be completed until 1928. Designed by Norwood architect, William Upham, the building is a landmark example of the Neo-Gothic Revival style and its main feature, the 110-foot bell-tower which houses a 50-bell carillon, towers over the town common.

Windswept Cottage // 1909

The coastal towns of Gloucester, Manchester, and Beverly on the North Shore of Massachusetts often are known for their historic summer “cottages” but great examples can be found right here in Rockport! This is “Windswept”, the W. W. Blunt cottage, located in the Headlands section of town, just south of the harbor. Walton W. Blunt worked as the Treasurer and General Manager of the Boston Journal newspaper and resided in Boston, later purchasing multiple adjoining house lots in Rockport for a summer residence. The two-and-a-half story house was designed by a Rutherford Smith, who sought to utilize fieldstone found nearby for the foundation and chimneys and shingle siding above. Detailed descriptions of the new house were featured in a local newspaper in 1909 and mentioned tennis courts on the grounds, an apartment for servants, and a billiard room in the third floor. It is not clear when the house got its name, “Windswept”, but the name is just too fitting!

George’s Island – Fort Warren // 1847

Located seven miles by boat from downtown Boston, Georges Island is a must-visit location for history-buffs and those looking to see the city from a new vantage point! The island in its early days was used for agriculture for 200 years until 1825, when the U.S. government acquired it for coastal defense. Fort Warren was first-dedicated in 1847 and is named for Revolutionary War hero Dr. Joseph Warren, who sent Paul Revere on his famous ride, and was later killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill. Fort Warren is a pentagonal bastion fort, made of granite, and was constructed from 1833 to 1861, overseen by Col. Sylvanus Thayer, and completed shortly after the beginning of the American Civil War. Fort Warren defended the harbor in Boston, Massachusetts, off-and-on from 1861 through the end of World War II. It’s highest use was during the Civil War, where it served as a training facility and as a prison for Confederate officers and government officials. Unused after WWII, Fort Warren was acquired by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by the Federal government and is today maintained by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation as the centerpiece of the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area.

Have you been to Georges Island?

William Bates Summer Cottage // 1885

While Salem is best-known for its First Period and Federal style buildings, the Salem Willows neighborhood features some of the finest Victorian summer cottages in the Boston area. This cottage was built in 1885 by William Marston Bates (1820-1912), a Salem-based dentist, as his summer retreat when not in the office. The Stick style cottage has a steep gable roof with jerkinhead clip at the facade and a wrap-around porch with decorative jigsawn bracketed details. The house is a well-preserved example of the style, examples of which are becoming less-and-less frequent in recent years.