Tamworth Inn // 1888

The architecturally distinctive Tamworth Inn, sits in the center of Tamworth Village, New Hampshire, and is now home to one of the most innovative and experimental distilleries in the country. The inn got its start in 1888, when owner Arthur Elliot Wiggin (1842-1913) saw the seasonal demand for lodging every summer to this region of New Hampshire, and completely expanded and renovated his Gothic Revival style home into a Second Empire style inn. Arthur Wiggin grew up in Tamworth and trained as a carpenter and likely oversaw the design and construction of his inn, originally called the Wiggin House but renamed Tamworth Inn by the 1890s. Wiggin eventually went bankrupt and by the 1930s, the inn was owned by hotelkeepers Fred Chesley and Violette Huntress of Boston who managed a hotel there and the Tamworth Inn during summers. Fred Huntress was an avid sports fan and ran an athletic gym, called the Tamworth Garden, which was built from a converted 19th century barn. In 1931, he sold the Tamworth Garden to Francis Cleveland as the first home of the Barnstormers Theatre. The property was more recently purchased by the Tamworth Distilling & Mercantile, who demolished about half of the inn, preserving the end structure as part of their Tamworth property. The old barn, which was once the Tamworth Garden is also restored and today serves as the company’s barrelhouse.

Former Ashland Junior High School // 1877

The former Ashland Junior High School stands on a rise overlooking Ashland’s village center, on School Street just east of the entrance to the modern Ashland Elementary School. It is a three-story brick building designed in the Second Empire style and is topped by a mansard roof. The exterior is little changed from its original construction, although the interior has been subjected to period modernization after decades of vacancy and conversion to offices. The school was built in 1877 in response to the poor conditions of Ashland District Schools at the time. The school was closed in 1990, and the town voted to demolish it in 2000. The building was listed in the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance’s Seven to Save in 2007. A community effort rescued the building from that fate, thanks to the Ashland Historical Society which advocated for the sale of the building and subsequent restoration by the Tri-County Community Action Program, which occupies the building to this day. Preservation wins!

Bow Old Town Hall // 1847

The town of Bow, New Hampshire, was incorporated in 1727 and named after its location along a bend, or “bow” in the Merrimack River at its easternmost boundary. Early town meetings were held in the town meetinghouse of 1770, and the second meetinghouse of 1801, until the separation of church and state became official in New Hampshire in 1819, with the passage of the Toleration Act. Until 1819, residents in New Hampshire conducted town business and religious services in the same building, the town meetinghouse. However, as towns diversified and religious freedom prospered, citizens grew less comfortable supporting one particular religious denomination with taxpayer money. Bow eventually secured funding to erect its first purpose-built town hall in 1847, this vernacular, two-story building on Bow Center Road. The small building served as the town hall for over 100 years, when in 1957, a growing suburban population required a larger, more modern town hall. The old Town Hall of Bow now serves as a meeting place for Town organizations and is rented out to Town residents for events.

New Ipswich Union Hall // c.1845

This large, wood-frame building on Main Street in New Ipswich, New Hampshire, dates to the 1840s and has long served as a meeting place for local social groups and organizations. The building is a vernacular example of the Greek Revival style with corner pilasters, a dentiled entablature and slightly pedimented lintels over the windows and paired doors. The building was used by various groups including the local chapter of the International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF), the Women’s Relief Corps, and as the Watatic Grange Hall.

Lord’s Tavern // c.1792

Isaac Lord (1772-1838), the namesake of Lord’s Hill, came to Effingham, New Hampshire by 1791. An enterprising man, he was the most important figure in the village’s early history and in its architectural development. By 1792, Lord opened Effingham’s first store on the Hill, and soon thereafter began building a house that also served as the local tavern, this Federal style structure. As Lord prospered as a merchant and innkeeper, he enlarged the Tavern with a large ell connecting the main block to the 3-story barn. The fine Federal tavern was embellished with a vestibule and a triple window. The high quality of the Tavern foretold the character and scale of Isaac Lord’s later buildings nearby. The Tavern stayed in the extended family until 1903. Throughout the 20th century, the property was used as an inn and restaurant, including a stint as a dance hall. By the 21st century, though, deferred maintenance and successive attempts to fix the building ended in mortgage sales, foreclosure, and most recently, a tax deed, the the Town of Effingham recently acquired the property with the aim to restore the significant building. It was sold to a private owner in May 2024 and awaits its future. The Lord’s Tavern was listed in the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance’s ‘Seven to Save’, to advocate for its preservation and funding.