Captain John Stacey House // 1731

In 1731, Captain John Stacey, a merchant and shipowner in Marblehead, had this gambrel-roofed house built on family land. Due to its orientation from the main street, a passageway allowed access to the rear of the property where other buildings were constructed by the family. By 1850, the house was jointly owned by Hawkes and Brown, with Mr. Hawkes operating a store in the first floor corner room. Eventually, by 1912, Brown had bought the whole building and moved his meat market into the store in this building. The property was later purchased and restored by Donald Mackenze Stacey (1916-1998), a contractor and descendant of the home’s original owner, John Stacey. Donald was a veteran of the U.S. Navy and served in World War II, before moving back to Marblehead and worked in the building trade. In town, he restored antique clocks, furniture, and buildings, including the Old Town House and Abbott Hall, the current town hall

Warren Homestead // 1727

The old Jonah Warren Homestead of Westborough, Massachusetts, was built in 1727 on the Old Connecticut Path, a former Native American trail, and is among the earliest and best-preserved examples of 18th-century domestic architecture in Westborough. The Colonial-era house was built for Jonah Warren (1700-1780) and his wife Elizabeth Seaverns (1700-1775), who moved from Watertown to Westborough in 1720, the couple would have 13 children. The home remained in the family for generations. Jonah was a tanner by trade, but also sold wooden shingles, cut from nearby cedar swamps. In 1778, the couple’s son, Aaron, owned the house, as he returned home to take care of his aging father. The property was later owned by Aaron’s son, David Warren, and later passed to his only child, a daughter, Mary Waterman Warren (1799-1858), who married Josiah Fay (1797-1869) in 1838. The home was inherited by Hercules Warren Fay, a Harvard-educated reverend and author. The homestead remained in the family until the last of Hercules’ children died in 1957. The Warren Homestead remains as one of the finest and best-preserved Colonial-era residences in Central Massachusetts.

Parker-Maynard Homestead // 1777

Hidden away on a quiet country road in Westborough, Massachusetts, the Parker-Maynard Homestead sits as one of the best-preserved and significant properties in town. Revolutionary War veteran Isaac Parker (1750-1798), after the war, acquired land in town and built a farmhouse here around 1777. Upon the time of his death in 1798, his property listed in his will included: a homestead farm, grist mill, saw mill, a small dwelling house, a horse stable, and a pew at the town meetinghouse. The property was acquired by brothers Ebenezer and Ephraim Maynard, who lived in the house together with their respective families. The Maynard brothers worked as wheelwrights and had their shop on the property for years. Ephraim Maynard’s eldest son, Horace Maynard (1814-1882) was born here and after graduating from Amherst College, moved to Tennessee to teach law at East Tennessee University before getting into politics. Horace served in Congress between 1858-1873 as a representative from Knoxville. He spent much of his first two terms in Congress fighting to preserve the Union, and during the Civil War, he consistently urged President Abraham Lincoln to send Union forces to free East Tennessee from its Confederate occupiers. After the war, he was appointed minister to Constantinople by President Grant in 1875. In 1880 he returned to the United States and was appointed Postmaster General by President Rutherford B. Hayes. Horace owned the family homestead following the death of his father and uncle, and often returned to Westborough to see family and get away from politics.

Rice-Harrington House // c.1731

This charming Federal style house sits on Maynard Street in Westborough, Massachusetts, and according to local records, dates to the early-mid 1700s. The property was originally owned by Eliezer Rice (1703-1767), a farmer and town constable, and likely built around the time of his marriage to Persis Newton, who died in 1746 during childbirth. After Eliezer’s death, the property was owned by an E. Harrington, who likely rotated the earlier structure 90 degrees and built the Federal style residence facing the street, utilizing the 100-year old house as a rear kitchen ell, or completely modernized the old residence, retaining the central chimney. The Federal house features a symmetrical facade, pilastered entry with fanlight transom window, and a large central chimney.

Gilman Morse House // c.1850

As the town of Westborough emerged from rural agricultural community to commercial center, connections to Worcester and Boston via rail service opened the town to prosperity. As businessmen accumulated wealth, these merchants built stately homes to showcase their position in the community. Before the Civil War, the Greek Revival style was ever-popular in Westborough, even though the style was already waning in popularity in larger cities. This is the Gilman Morse House, built around 1850 for Mr. Gilman Wood Morse (1810-1899) on East Main Street. Morse was a merchant in town and clearly did well for himself, building this stately house for his family. The residence is Greek Revival in style with its facade bays broken up by pilasters capped with Corinthian capitals adorned by acanthus leaves. The house also features ornate window and door hoods, showcasing the emerging Italianate style influence.

Gilmore-Mason House // c.1850

As the town of Westborough emerged from rural agricultural community to commercial center, connections to Worcester and Boston via rail service opened the town to prosperity. As businessmen accumulated wealth, these merchants built stately homes to showcase their position in the community. Before the Civil War, the Greek Revival style was ever-popular in Westborough, even though the style was already waning in popularity in larger cities. The Gilmore-Mason House on Church Street, is an excellent example of the Greek Revival style in a temple form. The form is seen in this house at the facade, with a portico of four two-story Corinthian columns supporting the pediment above. The house was built for George A. Gilmore and later sold to Alonzo W. Porter, an inventor, who would later move to New York. By the early 20th century, the residence was the home to Joseph S. Mason, a manufacturer who operated a weaving mill in Westborough.

Sibley House – Westborough Historical Society Building // 1844

The Sibley House is a historic house museum as well as the headquarters of the Westborough Historical Society. Located on Parkman Street in the center of Westborough, Massachusetts, the transitional Greek Revival/Italianate style house was built in 1844, by William Sibley, who was a blacksmith and wheelwright. Soon after the house was built, William married Jane Caroline Gibson, and the couple raised five children here. William joined Westborough’s Company K, 13th Massachusetts Regiment during the Civil War and was wounded at Antietam. After the war, William returned home and he and his brother Frank began to manufacture sleighs.  At one point, they produced as many as 300 a year! The Sibley House was purchased by the Westborough Historical Society in 1990, nearly 100 years after the society was established in 1889. The house is open to visitors and provides a glimpse into daily life for Westborough citizens at the time. 

John A. Turner Cottage // c.1875 

One of the most charming houses in Westborough, Massachusetts, can be found on Central Street, in the commercial village of town. The house was built around 1875 as a Mansard cottage, a style that was beginning to wane out of style by this point. The cottage was built for John Addison Turner (1833-1900) and his wife, Mary Ann Fiske. John worked as a superintendent at the National Straw Works factory, a local manufacturer of straw hats and other goods. The Turner House remains one of the best-preserved Victorian-era homes in Westborough and is even painted to highlight the many intricate details. 

Dr. Edwin B. Harvey House // c.1830

Edwin Bayard Harvey (1834-1913) was born in Deerfield, New Hampshire, and attended Wesleyan University in Connecticut, pursuing his career as a teacher. He would teach for a few years until he shifted gears and enrolled at Harvard Medical School, graduating in 1866. With the intention of settling in the West, he went to Waukegan, Illinois, but was not satisfied, so he returned to New England, and made his home in Westborough, Massachusetts. Edwin operated a medical office from this house on West Main Street and resided here with his family until his death in 1913. He often made house calls around town travelling by horseback. During his time in Westborough, Dr. Harvey served as President of the Massachusetts Medical Society from 1898-1900, and served on local school and library boards in Westborough. Never giving up on his push for education, as a State Senator in the legislature in 1884, Dr. Harvey introduced and was instrumental to the passage of a bill to provide free textbooks to the children of the state. The Dr. Edwin Harvey House remains in a great state of preservation.

Rev. Ebenezer Parkman House // 1750

Reverend Ebenezer Parkman (1703-1782) was a graduate of Harvard University and served as the first minister in Westborough, Massachusetts, from 1724 until his death. The town’s first meetinghouse was located on Powder Hill; however, in 1748, the community decided to build a new meetinghouse closer to the town center. In 1750, the town built Reverend Parkman a second parsonage, this large Georgian house, closer to the meetinghouse which would accommodate his growing family. It is said that when built, some members of the church felt the home was too grand and luxurious for the minister and particularly made reference to the numerous windows as glass was an expensive commodity at the time. From his residence and serving as the town’s minister for 58 years, Parkman watched his town grow from an English settlement on the fringe of civilization to a prosperous village in the independent United States. Parkman’s insights into the life of these times are recorded in his daily journal, now housed at the American Antiquarian Society in Worcester. It has also been digitized, providing a glimpse into daily life at the time. The house was originally located nearby but relocated in 1867 to its present location on High Street, where it remains in a great state of preservation. 

George F. Loring House // 1895

The George F. Loring House on Highland Avenue in Somerville, Massachusetts, is an architect-designed house designed as the architect’s personal residence. While the architect specialized in the Richardsonian Romanesque and Colonial Revival styles, for his own home, George Loring crafted a free interpretation of seventeenth-century medieval architecture with a brick first story and upper floors overhanging and sheathed in cedar shingles. Loring trained in the office of Boston City Architect, George A. Clough, before establishing his own practice. By 1895, when he constructed this residence on Highland Avenue, Loring was in partnership with Sanford Phipps, specializing in the design of large single-family homes in the Boston metropolitan area.

Richmond J. Lane House // c.1860

Located next door to his brother’s house on Union Street in Rockland, Massachusetts, Richmond J. Lane, a shoe manufacturer, built this charming cottage for his family. Built around 1860 in the Second Empire style, this residence includes a concave mansard roof, dentilled cornice with brackets, and arched windows and dormers, and a stable at the rear. Richmond J. Lane (1826-1905) worked in shoe manufacturing and was said to have been instrumental in establishing the Hanover Branch Railroad, and served as president of local banks. The Richmond J. Lane house is an important, and well-preserved example of the Second Empire style in Rockland.

Lane-Smith-Bailey House // 1848

The most colorful house in Rockland, Massachusetts can be found on Union Street, the town’s busiest corridor, lined with houses and buildings of all ages and styles. The Lane-Bailey House was built in 1848 for Marshall Lane, a shoe manufacturer in town. The Greek Revival style residence features a gable roof oriented towards the street, which reads as a pediment and a full-length columned porch that wraps around the side of the home. The property was purchased in the early 20th century by William Andrew Grant Smith (1863-1908), a wealthy jeweler, who apparently added a second floor to the house, up from a 1-1/2 story cottage, and likely added the wrap-around porch at this time. Jumping ahead to the turn of the 21st century, the prominent house was owned by Brad and Sam Bailey, who painted the residence bold colors, added a wishing well and birdhouses to the front yard, and replaced the traditional grass lawn with crushed seashells. In an article talking about the house, Brad Bailey stated, “We do it because lots of things in life [that] are dull. Our house shouldn’t have to be.” Despite the polarizing thoughts and opinions from those who walk or drive by, the house is loved and certainly causes people to stop and smile!

Peerless-Capitol Theater // 1894

Located across from the North Abington Depot, this structure was constructed in 1894 as a leather harness and saddle shop by local businessman, Henry Crossley. The expensive building of cut granite and brick seemed to have overextended Mr. Crossley’s means, as he would soon-after file for bankruptcy. The building would remain as commercial use until 1915, when the property was purchased by the Peerless Amusement Company for use as a 300-seat theater. By the 1930s, the building became known as the Capitol Theater, and was listed to seat 230 customers on the main floor and 70 in the balcony. Due to the more rural nature of the cinema, it closed in the mid-20th century, and suffered from neglect for decades until it was restored and is currently housing apartments. 

Dr. Gridley Thaxter House // 1798

The Dr. Gridley Thaxter House on Washington Street in Abington, Massachusetts, is one of the most significant properties in the South Shore town, not only for its architecture, but also its owners. The house was built in 1798 for Dr. Gridley Thaxter (1756-1845), a ship’s surgeon in the Navy during the American Revolution. He married Sarah Lincoln (1761-1810), the daughter of Benjamin Lincoln of Hingham, a Major General in the Revolution and served from 1781 to 1783 as the first United States Secretary of War. Dr. Thaxter and his new bride acquired land in Abington, and moved there where he would serve as the town’s doctor. After his death, the property was inherited by Elizabeth Thaxter Hunt, the couple’s daughter, and her husband, Joseph Hunt. It was Elizabeth, who added the Italianate window hoods and a cupola (since removed) at the roof, “modernizing” the family homestead.