Gleason-Patterson House // 1803

Another stately old home on Glezen Lane in Wayland is this brick, Federal style country mansion located across from the town Training Field. This residence is said to have been built by a Nathaniel Gleason (Glezen) and later inherited by a family member, Abel Glezen (1803-1890) who farmed the 55 acres of land and was a local politician. In 1900, as Wayland shifted from rural community to a desirable Boston suburb for summer residences, the Gleason House was purchased by Henry W. Patterson, who was in his late 20s when he bought this country house. Henry inherited his father’s estate and married Jane Harrington Adams from Massachusetts. The couple spent only a couple years here until Henry died in 1907 at just 35 years old. Jane, his widow, remained here until her death in 1950. The estate was subsequently subdivided and remains one of the finest homes in the community.

Isaac Gleason House // 1805

Built in 1805 by Isaac Gleason (Glezen), this Federal style mansion was later expanded in the early 20th century in the Colonial Revival style as Wayland became more of a wealthy Boston suburb. Located on the appropriately named Glezen Lane, this house was constructed for Isaac Glezen (1769-1843), who farmed the land here. Other family members built homes nearby. As Wayland shifted from rural community to a wealthy Boston suburb in the early 20th century, the property was purchased by Charles Ashley Hardy and his wife, Alice. The couple would sell the property in 1918, which comprised of 89-acres of land and a chauffeur’s residence, was purchased by Albert H. Beck, a New York banker. The property was later subdivided and consists of many other large, single-family homes.

Benjamin Adams Farmhouse // 1775

Benjamin Adams (1750-1843) was born in Milton, but relocated to East Sudbury (later renamed Wayland) and purchased property here from a Bezaleel Moore, a tanner and farmer. Soon after moving to town, in 1775, he mustered with the minutemen under the command of Capt. Nathaniel Cudworth. After the conclusion of the war, Benjamin married Elizabeth “Betsy” Adams and they expanded the old farmhouse (today at 34 Lincoln Road) and raised their children here. The property remained in the family until 1873 when it was purchased and operated as a dairy farm. In the 1920s, the farmhouse was expanded with Colonial Revival additions and a renovation for use as a summer residence and gentleman’s farm. It is believed that some of the interior wood paneling inside the house was added at this time and was salvaged from the Pequod Inn, which was razed around that time.

Mellen Law Office // c.1829

Samuel H. Mann (1801-1838), a lawyer, acquired the Dr. Ebenezer Ames House on Cochituate Road in 1829, only a month before his marriage to Isabella Ross. At about that time, Mann built this small law office across the road from his home, where he would practice law. It is not clear why, but within a year, Mann sold the house and this law office to Judge Edward Mellen (1802-1875), who was appointed Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Court of Common Pleas in 1855 and practiced law in Wayland until his death in 1875. After his death, the law office sat largely vacant until during World War II, when a newsletter to soldiers, The Village Bugle, was published here. After this, a couple of businesses used the former law office in the 1950s and 1960s until the owner donated the lot to the Town of Wayland in 1971. The diminutive building is a charming, and well-preserved example of a vernacular, Federal period professional office building that mimics the form and materials of the Ames House to which it was long affiliated with.

Ames-Mellen House // c.1823

This house in Wayland Center was built for Dr. Ebenezer Ames (1788-1861) who had a medical practice treating patients in East Sudbury (later named Wayland) and other surrounding communities. Dr. Ames is believed to have built this house in about 1823, which is a five-bay, two-story Federal style house under a hipped roof. Dr. Ames moved to another home in the village by 1830 and this old residence was purchased by Judge Edward Mellen (1802-1875) who lived in the house from 1831 until his death in 1875. Judge Mellen was appointed Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Court of Common Pleas in 1855, and practiced law in Wayland from a small office that still stands in the center of the village. Mellen’s widow Sophia Mellen remained here after her husband’s death in 1875 until her death in 1893. The front porch was likely added in the early 20th century, but does not at all detract from the architectural significance of the 200 year old residence.

Elisha Rice House // c.1800

Elisha Rice (1784-1841) moved to Wayland, Massachusetts in 1800 and built this charming house on Bow Road for himself and his family. Elisha worked as a wheelwright, a craftsman who builds and repairs wooden wheels, and was able to build this home near the village. While built and later occupied by later artisans, the community has become an exclusive and wealthy Boston area suburb, which has subsequently made it so many “working class” citizens can no longer afford such a house, but has also allowed many of these great old homes to be lovingly preserved and maintained for future generations.

Reeves-Goodell House // c.1816

Built on a hill on Concord Road in Wayland, Massachusetts, the Reeves-Goodell House is a beautiful vernacular Federal period residence owned and occupied by a local builder and architect. The house was constructed by Henry Reeves (1789-1878), a local carpenter and descendant of Jacob Reeves (1720-1794) a tavern-keeper in town. In the 1920s, this property became the home of Edwin B. Goodell, Jr. (1893-1971), a prominent local architect who designed area houses before becoming a partner in the firm Andrews, Jones, Biscoe and Goodell of Boston. It was Goodell who added on the rear, three-bay addition to the residence, which blends in with the 1810s aesthetic. Interestingly, Edwin Goodell lived in this historic, vernacular house but designed some of the earliest International style modernist homes in New England.

Sibley-Bennett House // c.1818

One of the many great old houses in Wayland, Massachusetts, is this well-proportioned Federal style residence at 30 Cochituate Road. The house was built sometime between 1818 and 1821 when owner Mark C. Sibley (1792-1876) married his first wife, Nancy Rice. Mark Sibley was the innkeeper at the Pequod Inn (no longer extant) that had served as an inn and stagecoach stop from when it was built in 1771. Mark Sibley remarried after Nancy died in 1839 and relocated to Weston. The Sibley House was acquired numerous times by real estate speculators. From 1886 until 1922, the property was owned by Anna Bennett, a widow. The five-bay, two-story Federal style house has a center entrance and six-over-six double-hung windows, all with a historically appropriate color scheme.

First Parish Church, Wayland // 1814

The First Parish Church of Wayland, Massachusetts, is an iconic church that displays the typical early 19th-century meetinghouse form with Federal-style elaboration. Built in 1814, the church is two-stories with a five-bay gabled-front structure with a projecting enclosed portico of three entrance bays, and a four-stage bell tower that rises above the façade. Today known as Wayland, the town was originally called East Sudbury, after it split away from the western parish in 1780. In 1835, members of town meeting voted to rename East Sudbury “Wayland” in honor of Dr. Francis Wayland, a temperance advocate, abolitionist, and then president of Brown University. The First Parish Church of Wayland was built by Andrews Palmer of Newburyport, who used an Asher Benjamin design. The bell was cast by Paul Revere and Sons and first lifted into the bell tower in 1814. The property also includes the historic, twelve-bay horse/carriage sheds where parishioners would “park” their horses and carriages while attending services.

First Congregational Church of Derby // 1821

Derby, Connecticut was settled by colonists in 1642 as a trading post with local Native people under the name Paugasset. The community was eventually named after Derby, England, in 1675 and incorporated 100 years later in 1775. Like all communities in New England, it was required to have a meeting house, where religious services and town business would take place. Derby had its first meeting house built in 1681, a rustic, square structure which was eventually replaced with a new meeting house on “The Common”, now the East Derby Green. The building served its purpose for over 100 years, with sermons led by Rev. Daniel Humphreys (1706-1787) for 54 years. In that church, his son, David Humphreys (1752-1818) was baptized, he later became George Washington’s aide and most trusted general, later becoming the first presidential speech-writer. That meetinghouse was eventually outgrown, and the present Congregational Church of Derby was built on its present site on the eastern banks of the Naugatuck River in 1821. The Federal style church building was built by Williams and Barnum from Brookfield, who likely utilized plan books by Asher Benjamin for the finishes. The Congregational Church of Derby has watched as the commercial “downtown” of the city shifted to the other side of the river and has stood here for over 200 years as a landmark of “old Derby”.