John L. Sullivan House // c.1812

This modified Federal style cottage in Abington, Massachusetts, is known locally as the last home of World Heavyweight Champion bare knuckle boxer, John L. Sullivan. John Sullivan (1858-1918) died in this house on February 2, 1918, of heart disease, but left behind a legacy that will last forever. The house was originally constructed around 1812 for Jacob Cobb, a Deacon of a local church and after successive ownership, the house was purchased by boxer John Sullivan, to celebrate his retirement. As a professional fighter Sullivan was nicknamed The Boston Strongboy, and was one of the first great American boxers and was the last world champion bare-knuckle boxer. He had a record of 47 wins, 1 loss and 2 draws, with 38 wins by knockout in his career. Sullivan’s blustering personality and fabled strength gained him a great following, and he would be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame as part of its original class. As champion he earned more than $1 million but squandered it. A hard drinker during his ring career, he later became an advocate of prohibition and delivered many lectures on the subject. His brick Federal house in Abington was modernized by him, adding the dormer and full-length front porch supported by rubblestone columns.

Paul and Caroline Hunt House // 1905

Paul Hunt, the son of famous painter, William Morris Hunt, and the nephew of famed architect Richard Morris Hunt, built this house in Brookline, Massachusetts for $15,000 for him and his wife, Caroline. Paul had been involved in real estate development in Bar Harbor, Maine, where his mother had a summer cottage, and while not an architect himself, he was very interested in design and took a keen interest in developing estates with the family funds. While developing property in the summer enclave of Bar Harbor, Maine, Paul met the Bar Harbor architect, Milton W. Stratton, and the two collaborated in the construction of houses there and two adjacent homes in Brookline. The two-story house is wood frame construction with a stucco finish on the exterior. Spanish Colonial Revival in style, the roof is hipped with terra cotta tile, as is the roof of the verandah which extends across the facade. In 1911, Paul Hunt worked with architect William Ewing Harding to add the two-story wing on the side of the house, which is built over the driveway, creating a really unique (though not as functional) design element. 

Captain John Clark House // 1802

The Captain John Clark House in Canterbury, Connecticut, is one of the finest examples of the Federal style of architecture in New England, and has remained in a fine state of preservation since its construction in the early 19th century. The house was built by 1802 for John Clark (1731-1834), who purchased an earlier home on the site from and had it either taken down or enlarged to its present appearance. The mansion is symmetrical with five bays, central entry and twin chimneys projecting through the hipped roof. The central bay is a showstopper with its triangular pediment at the roofline containing a fanlight, Palladian window at the second floor, and main entrance with its own pediment, sidelights, fanlight transom, all framed by two-story columns. The house’s south facade is equally beautiful with its own Palladian window and entrance.

Dr. Andrew Harris House // c.1820

This house is located across from the iconic Prudence Crandall House in Canterbury, Connecticut, and is another excellent example of a high-style Federal home in the town’s main village. Built in circa 1820, this residence was the home of Dr. Andrew Harris (1787-1840), one of two physicians in Canterbury in the early 19th century. After Dr. Harris’ death, the property was owned by Hiram and Nancy Waldo, who altered the house with the addition of a Victorian observatory at the rear, two-over-two sash windows, and an entry porch with paired door entrance.

Gallup Farm Carriage House // 1906

This handsome Shingle style building was constructed in 1906 as a carriage house of a larger farm property in Scotland, Connecticut. The barn is said to have been built for Archie Gallup, who purchased the old Manning farm just west of the town green in Scotland. The 1 1/2-story carriage-house with a gambrel-roof stands out for its principal entry of paneled wooden doors and above, a large, flared hood featuring two pedimented gable-dormers. The entire building is clad with varied shingles to add complexity to the design, catching the attention of all who drive by.

Pawtucket Hair Cloth Mill //1864

Despite its name, this handsome mill structure, known as the Pawtucket Hair Cloth Mill, is actually located in Central Falls, Rhode Island. The building, located on Roosevelt Avenue on the banks of the Blackstone River, is a great example of a Civil War-era mill, built for one of the many wool and cloth companies in New England. Begun in a small factory across the street in 1856, this business became successful after the acquisition of patents for weaving haircloth (most of the raw material for which originally came from Russian horse markets) for upholstery, crinolines, and inner linings. The company is said to have once been the largest producer of haircloth in the world. The Italianate style mill stands pretty much as built, besides the tower that has lost its low pyramidal cap. The building was one of the first commissions by great Rhode Island architect, William Walker, who was just 34 at the time of designing this large, and complicated structure.

Central Falls Police Station and Courthouse // 1914

Built jointly by the city of Central Falls and the state of Rhode Island, this Classical Revival style building originally contained both the local police station and a district court house. The symmetrical building was designed by William R. Walker and Son, a Providence design firm, who specialized in large, civic and commercial buildings. The gray brick building is trimmed with limestone and stands three-stories under a hipped tile roof capped by decorative cresting. In the 1970s, the courthouse moved out and the entire building came into the ownership of the City of Central Falls and is today owned by the Central Falls Redevelopment Agency, which frankly worries me about the future of this important building. Does anyone know about plans for the building? 

Forrester-Peabody House – Salem Home for Aged Men // 1818

Overlooking the Salem Common, this 1818 Federal style dwelling has served as everything from a single-family home to a boarding house and ultimately an assisted living facility, showcasing that old buildings can always be repurposed into new uses. The home was built for Captain John Forrester, son of Simon Forrester, one of Salem’s most successful merchants. The Forrester House was purchased in the 1830s by George Peabody, who added the one-story ballroom wing. Peabody lived in the house until 1892 and the building later housed the Salem Club, a men’s social organization with over two-hundred well-connected members. In the 1920s, it became the Bertram Home for Aged Men, named after Captain John Bertram, who founded the organization in 1877 as a charitable residence providing housing and socialization space for aged men in Salem. The home had fallen into disrepair when it was closed in 1988, to reopen two years later as the first free-standing assisted living community for men and women in Massachusetts, today known as the Bertram House.

White-Lord House // 1811

The White-Lord House at 31 North Washington Square in Salem, Massachusetts, is one of a row of stately brick, Federal style mansions built for wealthy 19th century merchants overlooking the bucolic Salem Common. This house was built in 1811 for merchant Stephen White by master mason Joshua Upham (1784-1858), adjacent to his brother’s mansion across the street. It was later the home of merchant John W. Rogers from 1831 to 1844 and merchant Thomas P. Pingree from 1844 to 1858 before it was acquired by Nathaniel Lord in 1858 and members of the family continued to occupy the house for the next ninety years. George R. Lord (1817-1891) was a lawyer and assistant Clerk of the Courts. The exterior of the White-Lord House has changed little beyond the switch to the two-over-two sash windows sometime in the latter half of the 19th century.

Payson-Fettyplace House // 1845

Behold, one of the finest, and well-preserved Greek Revival style homes in Salem. This is the Payson-Fettyplace House on Winter Street, built in 1845 with its gable facing the street to create a pediment, a wide entablature and cornice, and pilasters on the flushboard façade, which together make the building read more like a Greek temple than a residential home. The residence was built for Edward H. Payson, a bank officer, and his wife, Amelia, who lived in the home for only two years before moving into a larger residence across the street just two years after this house was completed. The property was sold to a Carleton Dole of Maine and again sold in 1850 to Thomas J. Fettyplace. The Fettyplace family were based out of Marblehead and many of them relocated to Mobile, Alabama, to make money in the cotton and shipping industry in the South. Thomas purchased this home in Salem for his mother who spent her final years here until 1861. After the Civil War, the Fettyplace brothers would move back north and this home remained in the family until 1912. The house is now a bed & breakfast known as the Amelia Payson House, named after the original owner.