Chester Academy – Chester Historical Society // 1884

The town of Chester, Vermont, is one of the best small towns in the state for architecture lovers! Don’t believe me? I will prove it in this upcoming series. Located in Chester Village, the town’s center, this handsome brick building set off the main street, was built in 1884 as the town’s high school, replacing an 1814 private academy formerly on the site. The private academy closed in 1881, and the building was sold to the town, who by 1884, demolished the original structure and erected the current Italianate style building. The building served as the town high school until 1911, when a new high school was constructed nearby. The elementary and junior high school operated from here until the 1950s, when a modern school was constructed in town. Since 1950, the former academy building has been used by the Chester Art Guild, and currently is leased from the Town by the Chester Historical Society. The structure retains its architectural character down to the segmental arched windows and cupola.

Tully Bowen House // 1853

Designed by great architect, Thomas Tefft, this three-bay, three-story brownstone house located at 389 Benefit Street in Providence, was built for Tully D. Bowen, a cotton manufacturer. The house, one of the finest Italianate style mansions in the state, is constructed of brownstone and features a recessed arched entrance surrounded by a flat-headed Doric-pilastered frame, pedimented first-floor windows resting on brackets with the alternation of flat and pedimented heads at the second story, and quoining at the corners. The property also retains its original Tefft-designed brick and brownstone carriage house. Thomas Tefft, who was just 27 at the time of designing this house and corresponding brownstone and iron gate, would become one of America’s finest architects before he died in Florence with a fever in 1859 at just 33 years old. The residence was converted to 12 apartments in 1941 and the carriage house was converted to residential use as well. Even with the subdividing the interior spaces of the residence and carriage house, the Bowen property remains in a great state of preservation and is one of the finest homes in Providence.

Thomas Peckham House // c.1824

The Thomas Peckham House at 395 Benefit Street is a stately, modified Italianate style residence typical of the middle-upper-class residents of Providence’s East Side neighborhood in the middle of the 19th century. The house here was built sometime before 1824, likely around that time for Thomas Peckham (1783-1843), who worked as the Deputy Collector of the port of Providence. The Peckham House was likely built as a brick, two-story Federal style house, that was expanded by his heirs in 1853 in the Italianate style, boxing off the building’s roof. Emblematic of the large Italianate homes on College Hill in Providence, the Peckham House features a boxy form, shallow hip roof with monitor, and bracketed cornice and door hood, which has engaged columns. 

William Haven House // c.1807

William Haven (1770-1856) was the youngest son of Reverend Samuel Haven (1727-1806), the Pastor of South Church, and Mehitable Appleton Haven, daughter of Rev. Nathaniel Appleton. William was a merchant that traveled extensively with his brothers, who employed him as their accountant, later working as a cashier of the New Hampshire Bank in Portsmouth, and later an accountant for the Portsmouth Savings Bank. William married Sophia Henderson in 1807, and soon-after, had this large residence on Middle Street built for his new family. By the 1870s, the residence was owned by William H. Hackett, who likely modernized the home with the Italianate style stair-hall window on the second floor, and portico and entry. 

Walker House // c.1857

The Walker House at 171 Middle Street in Portsmouth is a wood-frame Italianate-style residence that was greatly modernized at the turn of the 20th century into the Colonial Revival style, showcasing how differing styles can actually blend together fairly harmoniously. The house was built around 1857 for Nathaniel Kennard Walker (1807-1880), a ship owner who operated a hat shop in town. After his death in 1880, Nathaniel’s youngest son, Arthur Willard Walker (1855-1906), inherited the home, and some time after his marriage in 1886, modernized the family home in the then fashionable Colonial Revival style, popular in many New England towns as a callback to historical designs. Original details of the Italianate style that remain include: the overhanging bracketed eaves, wide cornice, centered gable at the roof, and the window trim. Colonial Revival additions to the Walker House include: the entrance with leaded glass fanlight transom and sidelights, entry portico, two-story fluted pilasters at the facade, and Palladian window at the second floor stairhall.

South Meeting House, Portsmouth // 1866

The South Meeting House was built in Portsmouth in 1866 and it is significant as a high-style Italianate building in the coastal town, and as the meeting place for the first African American church congregation in New Hampshire. The present building is the second building on this site. The initial structure was the Old South Meeting House, which was built for the South Church in 1731. The City demolished it in 1863 for the construction of the present building in 1866 as a Ward Hall for the Southern area of the community. The building’s upper level serves as a large public meeting space, and has seen use for political meetings, ward elections, and religious services The structure was the home of the People’s Baptist Church, the first African American church in New Hampshire, which organized in 1873, when the Freewill Baptists congregated on the second floor of this building. The church relocated in 1915 to 45 Pearl Street when the congregation raised money and bought their own building. In the late 19th century and early 20th century, the building continued to serve as a church, school, and community center until at least 1915. After World War II, it was boarded up due to economic circumstances and endured a period of neglect. In 1966, Strawbery Banke leased the building from the city for about fifteen years, during which it returned as a community resource and was renamed the South Meeting House. The city invested around $67,000 for repair work that also exposed further damage issues. In 1982, the city approved a proposal for the building to become a Children’s Museum. The community contributed to the required materials and labor that allowed the Museum to welcome the public from 1983-2008. Today, the city is still permitting restoration projects to preserve the historic building.

First Parish Church, Kingston // 1851

The original Congregational Church of Kingston was part of the established, tax-supported church of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and was built in 1718, after present-day Kingston established itself as Plymouth’s North Parish. The church was replaced in 1798 with a more substantial building with two steeples. In 1833, when the separation of church and state was finalized in the Commonwealth, two new religious societies formed in Kingston and established churches. The 1798 church, which had been built as the only church in town, was now too large for its diminished population and suffering from structural difficulties. In the spring of 1851, the 1798 church was taken down, and the present church, the third on the site, was constructed. The church blends Greek Revival and Italianate styles, both popular for ecclesiastical buildings of its time, and the structure looks much like it did when built 175 years ago. The congregation here is Universal Unitarian.

Cloon Stores // c.1880

Washington Street in Marblehead is lined with dozens of amazing old homes, civic, and commercial buildings, that serves as the “downtown” spine of the old village. Located at the corner of Washington and State streets, this handsome late-Victorian commercial block serves as an important contributing building to the character of Marblehead. The structure was built around 1880 for a member of the Sparhawk Family, who operated the building as a factory or store for their shoe manufacturing. By the 1890s, the building was owned by Horace Cloon and Samuel G. Cloon, who operated a hardware store from the ground floor and leased the upper floor as apartments. The block retains its original bracketed cornice over the storefronts, but the brackets at the upper cornice are no longer extant. 

Henry Block // 1873

Mid-late 19th century commercial blocks provide human-scaled density, high quality design, and often contain intimate storefronts providing reasonable rent to local businesses. The Henry Block in Westborough, Massachusetts, is one great example of a historic commercial building that checks all of these boxes. The brick building was constructed in 1873 by its namesake, Samuel Gates Henry (1813-1877), a pharmacist and dentist who rented space in an earlier building on the site. When a fire destroyed the old structure, Samuel Henry had this block erected on the site and leased out spaces in the building to other businesses and tenants in the floors above. The block is Italianate/Italian Renaissance Revival in style with the typical round arched windows and bracketed cornice. The granite storefronts even retain some of the original cast-iron supports.

Sibley House – Westborough Historical Society Building // 1844

The Sibley House is a historic house museum as well as the headquarters of the Westborough Historical Society. Located on Parkman Street in the center of Westborough, Massachusetts, the transitional Greek Revival/Italianate style house was built in 1844, by William Sibley, who was a blacksmith and wheelwright. Soon after the house was built, William married Jane Caroline Gibson, and the couple raised five children here. William joined Westborough’s Company K, 13th Massachusetts Regiment during the Civil War and was wounded at Antietam. After the war, William returned home and he and his brother Frank began to manufacture sleighs.  At one point, they produced as many as 300 a year! The Sibley House was purchased by the Westborough Historical Society in 1990, nearly 100 years after the society was established in 1889. The house is open to visitors and provides a glimpse into daily life for Westborough citizens at the time.