Drake Store // c.1816

The Drake Store is a vernacular, early 19th century commercial building located in the center of Effingham, New Hampshire. According to local sources, the building was erected around 1816 by Weare Drake, an original settler of the town at age 78, and his 23-year-old grandson, Thomas Parsons Drake. The store sold provisions and was home to a post office, when Thomas Drake served as the town’s postmaster. Within a few years, the store fell into disuse and the building was fitted up as an academy known as the Carroll Literary Institute. Due to insufficient enrollment, in the 1850’s, it was again occupied as a store by Alexander Mellen Drake (hence the sign) and changed hands several times before being purchased by Grange No. 313 in 1913, operating as a grange hall for local farmers. The building was given by the Grange to the Town in 1994 and purchased from the Town for $1 by the Preservation Society in 2002. The Preservation Society has been restoring the building through capital campaigns and grants and the old store shines once again!

New England Masonic Charitable Institute // 1858

The New England Masonic Charitable Institute building is located in Center Effingham, New Hampshire, and is among the rural town’s most impressive structures. The structure was built in 1858 by the Charter Oak Lodge No. 58 of Free and Accepted Masons as a school to educate orphans of Masonic members, but they also admitted local students. It is the only known school building purposely constructed by Masons in the United States. Classes were conducted from 1861 to roughly 1882 with students boarding with local families. The impressive Italianate style building is dominated by a six-story bell tower supporting an octagonal cupola, and exhibits many architectural details including the corner quoins, paired eave brackets, and dentilled cornice. Charter Oak Lodge No. 58 sold the building to the Town of Effingham in 1891 for one dollar but retained rights to the second floor temple room in perpetuity. The walls and ceilings of the Lodge’s temple space are covered with trompe l’oeil murals attributed to Massachusetts painter Philip A. Butler. Images of classic sculptures, architectural details and Masonic symbols, including the All-Seeing Eye, are incorporated into the paintings. Heavily water-damaged in the late 1980s, they have since been restored. The building remains occupied by the Effingham Public Library, what a library building for a town of just 1,700 residents!

Dearborn-Keay House // c.1772

The town of Effingham, New Hampshire, was settled by members of the Leavitt family of HamptonNew Hampshire, led by Captain John Leavitt. From them the settlement first took the name “Leavitt’s Town”. In 1749, the land here was officially granted by Governor Benning Wentworth, and he renamed it “Effingham” for the Howard family, who were Earls of Effingham in England and who were related to the Wentworths by marriage. The town was incorporated in 1778, six years after this house was built. This is the Dearborn-Keay House, a 1772 Colonial home in Effingham, built by Benjamin Dearborn, who was an early settler of the area from Hampton, New Hampshire. The homestead was enlarged by his nephew Asahel Dearborn in the early 1790s, giving the home its present appearance. After later ownership in the Dearborn Family, the property was purchased by Cyrus Keay, who would die in the home in 1894. The property remained in the ownership of the Keay family for many years more.

Stone Memorial Building // 1896

Designed by New Hampshire architect William Butterfield in 1896, the Stone Memorial building in Central Weare is a significant example of a Neo-Classical style structure in a village setting. The building was constructed with money donated by Joseph Stone in honor of his father, Phineas J. Stone, who was born in Weare and moved to Charlestown, MA, later serving as its seventh Mayor. The building would “provide suitable room for a public town library” and a room for memorials to the Civil War soldiers who fought and died for the Union. When the town hall burned, offices there were relocated to this building. Eventually, the library and town offices left this small building, and it has since been home to the Weare Historical Society.

Clinton Grove Academy // 1874

Clinton Grove Academy of Weare, New Hampshire was the first Quaker seminary in the state when it was founded in 1834 by Moses Cartland (1805–1863). Moses Cartland was a Quaker abolitionist who served as the first Principal of the school and for fourteen years after. He later would move to Lee, NH, and aided those who escaped slavery in the south, sheltering them and assisting them on their way north to Canada. The original Academy here served as a private high school and included a classroom building, boarding house, barn and sheds. Students came from as far away as Ontario, Nova Scotia, Minnesota and Texas to study here under Mr. Cartland. In 1872, the Academy complex burned. It was quickly rebuilt as one structure here, in 1874. This building served as a district school until the 1930s. Today, it looks like the building is largely vacant, anyone know what its purpose is?

Weare Town House // 1837

Weare, New Hampshire has a pretty cool history. Located at the northern edge of Hillsborough County, the land presently known as Weare was granted to veterans of the Canadian wars in 1735 by Governor Jonathan Belcher, who named it “Beverly-Canada” after many of the veteran’s hometown, Beverly, Massachusetts. After various disputes over the settlement and naming of the town, it became known as “Weare’s Town” before being incorporated by Governor Benning Wentworth in 1764 as Weare, after Meshech Weare, who served as the town’s first clerk and later went on to become New Hampshire’s first Governor. The town grew slowly during the 18th and 19th centuries around five major villages, with farmland and forests connecting them. Near the geographic center of town, this Town House was built in 1837 to be a government and religious center of the town. Originally, town meetings were held on the first floor and the Universalist Church met on the second floor and the local high school was installed on the second floor in 1919. The building remains the town offices with event space for rent inside today. The building is a great example of a vernacular Greek/Gothic Revival town house of the period with a two-stage tower with pinnacles at the corners of each stage and a louvered belfry at the bell.

Samuel Dearborn House // 1886

Queen Anne perfection! The Samuel Dearborn House sits at the beginning of Concord Avenue in Nashua, New Hampshire and is among the city’s finest examples of the great architectural style. Samuel Gerrish Dearborn was born in Northfield, New Hampshire, August 10, 1827. His father was an industrious farmer and allowed Samuel to be educated at Sanbornton Academy and the New Hampshire Conference Seminary. He graduated from Dartmouth in 1849 and began practicing medicine in various New Hampshire towns. He served as a surgeon during the Civil War and after, settled in Nashua, remaining a prominent doctor. He and his family were avid travelers and had trips to the Pacific northwest and Mexico. He had this stately Queen Anne style residence built in 1886 which exhibits all the hallmarks of the style. Varied materials and siding types, asymmetrical plan, ornate turned columned porch, gables with detailed shingling, and complex roofline are all so eye-catching.

George French House // 1890

Yet another of Nashua’s fine estates on Concord Street is the George French House, a more academic example of the Queen Anne style of architecture. The French House was built in 1890 for George Barstow French (1846-1933), an attorney in town. I really wish I could find more on the architect, as this seems to be a more academic example of the style with bold material choice of brick construction with brownstone and terracotta trim and detailing. The hipped roof with flared eaves and brick pilaster detailing on the second floor add a lot to the design and are not common! Does anyone know more?

John Reed House // c.1840

The John Reed House at 37 Orange Street in Nashua, New Hampshire is a testament that houses can be updated over time with thoughtful renovations, and still be pretty darn amazing! The house was originally constructed in 1840 in the then-popular Greek Revival architecture style. Within a decade, to ‘keep up with the Jones”, the house was “modernized” with Italianate style detailing, including the brackets at the eaves and the large, square cupola with round arched windows and shutters. Decades, later, Queen Anne/Colonial Revival changes were made, with the full-length front porch with turned, fluted posts, enlarged windows, and an oversized front door. The house today blends these very different styles very well and adds to the house’s significance.

Killicut House // c.1740

Thought to be the oldest extant residential building in Nashua, New Hampshire, the Killicut House is an important piece of local history of the early settlement days of the city. The exact date of construction of the Killicut House is not known, with local legend stating that the house was built between 1680 and 1700 with other estimates dating the house slightly later, to 1740. It was known for years as the “1700 House”. Regardless, this is one of only two 18th century houses remaining in Nashua. The first known owner of the house was Thomas Killicut (1723-1784) who resided in present-day Nashua by 1746 when he was chosen to hold the position of field driver for the newly established town of Dunstable, New Hampshire (an extension from Dunstable, Massachusetts). Killicut served as one of “Rogers Rangers” in the French and Indian War. During the early to mid 19th century, the Killicut House apparently passed onto members of the Blodgett family who were apparently related to the Killicuts as up until the 1960s, the house was still reportedly owned by descendants of Thomas Killicut. Later in the 20th century, much of the land was subdivided and single-family homes were built nearby, with the Killicut House now located on the end of an unassuming cul-de-sac. It is a great example of a Georgian-era Cape style house with central chimney.

Dana King House // 1879

Another stately Victorian-era house on Nashua’s Concord Street is this brick beauty, known as the Dana King House. The property was constructed in 1879 for Dana William King (1832-1912) who had quite a history. He was born in Alstead, New Hampshire where he lived until he was 19, moving to Boston to “make his fortune”. In 1852, he shipped aboard a whale boat in East Boston, and realized that whaling wasn’t for him. He was persuaded by his brother to move in with him in Detroit, where he worked as a grocery clerk before moving back to New Hampshire, settling in Nashua, where he did make his fortune. He began working at a local mill until the outbreak of the American Civil War, where he enlisted in the First Regiment of New Hampshire, eventually rising to the rank of Lt. Colonel. He was captured during the war and held in prison in Shreveport for over seven months, failing at least one prison escape. He was eventually included in a prisoner swap and returned to Nashua in 1865. Upon his return, King used his war stories to gather favor locally, and he was elected Register of the Hillsborough County of Deeds, a position he held for over 30 years. The King House is a great, and rare example of the Victorian Gothic style of architecture in Nashua, notable for its steeply pitched slate gable roof with octagonal corner tower serving as a belvedere or cupola.

Charles and Asenath Burke Mansion // 1889

One of the finest homes in Nashua, New Hampshire is this stately brick and brownstone mansion at the corner of Main and Prospect streets. It was built for Charles Horace Burke (1850-1912) and his wife, Asenath Burke (1856-1943) in 1889 as one of the most up-to-date residences in the city. As a young man, Charles was known as “the busiest businessmen” in Nashua. He would become the president of the Nashua Iron and Brass foundry as well as the director of the Second National Bank. In 1878, he was the city’s tax collector and he served as Mayor from 1889 to 1890, soon after he had this estate built. As mayor, Mr. Burke was responsible for the building of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Abbot Square and the Court Street Police Station. As Mayor, Burke also improved the sewage system, streets, sidewalks, and highways of Nashua. He hired architect Charles J. Bateman to furnish the plans for the house, which would take over a year-and-a-half to build. Bateman would later be named City Architect for the City of Boston, designing schools, firehouses, and more during his time there in 1893-4 and 1898. The house is a high-style Queen Anne Victorian home of brick with brownstone trim. There is an intact former carriage house at the rear. The house was inherited by Charles and Asenath‘s only child, a daughter, Tena, in 1914. She sold it two years later to Dr. Augustus W. Shea and his wife, Lucy. When Lucy passed away in 1948, her daughter sold the property to the Nashua Medical Center. It has seemingly been used as offices ever since. The large corner lot and adjacency to a large medical center across the street have me worried that this property may be threatened in the future for redevelopment, here’s to hoping Nashua can preserve this significant and architecturally grand estate! Thank you to the Nashua Historical Society for assistance researching this post!

Lester Thurber House // 1895

As Victorian styles of architecture fell out of vogue in the late 19th century, New England towns and cities alike, saw a revival of Colonial designs which dominated building styles throughout much of the next century. Early examples of Colonial Revival tend to blend Queen Anne (Victorian) and Colonial motifs under one roof, which makes for exuberant yet refined designs. The Lester Thurber House in Nashua, New Hampshire was built in 1895 and is an ornate example which preserves elements of the Queen Anne style in its asymmetry and high gables, but with Colonial pediment scrolls and classical columned porch. Lester Freeman Thurber (1858-1935) was born and raised in Vermont and was engaged in the political arena there, serving as private secretary to Gov. Roswell Farnham of Vermont, 1880-2. He moved to Nashua in 1882 and was BUSY! He served in both branches Nashua city government, was member for six years on the board of education, member N.H. House of Representatives, 1895, served on railroad committee; was a delegate to Republican National Convention, 1908, and was a member of many local fraternal organizations and clubs. The Thurber House has suffered from some deferred maintenance of sorts, but is a great local example of the transitional Queen Anne/Colonial Revival styles in Nashua.

James Tolles House // 1890

WOW! Would you just look at this absolute stunner in Nashua? The town is not necessarily known for its historic architecture, but like most New England towns and cities, there are some amazing buildings to check out. This example, the James Tolles House, was built in 1890 and is one of the finest residences in the city. The stately residence was built for Mr. Tolles who served as Nashua’s 23rd mayor. The Tolles House stands out for the use of sandstone ashlar construction on the first floor with shingle siding above, carved terracotta panels, and a large, rounded corner tower capped with a domed copper roof. This one is pretty close to perfect!

Laton House Hotel // 1878

A late example of Second Empire style architecture, the Laton House in Nashua, New Hampshire, is a 3 ½ -story brick hotel building with a slate-covered mansard roof pierced by regularly spaced dormers. The facade is dominated by a two-story porch with decorative railings and brackets. The hotel was developed between 1878-1881 when Railroad Squareserved as the central square in town. The hotel thrived, allowing visitors cheap rooms while doing business in the manufacturing hub of Nashua. Eventually, the hotel closed and was converted to housing. Today, it houses commercial space on the ground floor with low-income housing above.