Hopedale Community House // 1923

Hopedale in the 1920s saw a civic building campaign led by George A. Draper (1855-1923), then treasurer of the Draper Corporation. Draper often talked about the need for a community center in Hopedale for his workers, and in 1919 decided to build one at his own expense. He commissioned architect Edwin J. Lewis, Jr. of Boston to design the Hopedale Community House which was intended to serve as a social and civic center for all Hopedale residents, as well as Draper Corporation employees residing in other towns. The building was opened in 1923, but sadly George Draper died before he could see it used. Colonial Revival in style, the building’s facade is dominated by a portico along the entire elevation with double-height Ionic columns. The slate hipped roof is capped by a square clock tower at the crest. The Community House included an assembly hall, a banquet hall that doubled as a gymnasium, a kitchen, rooms for smoking and cards and billiards, a ladies’ social room, the Knights of Pythias club room, and candlepin bowling lanes in the basement, all of which exist to this day.

Little Red Shop // c. 1843

The area that is now the town of Hopedale, Massachusetts, was originally known simply as the “Dale,” a small, secluded agricultural area between Mendon and Milford, that beginning in 1842, was home to a communal Christian society called “Hopedale Community.” The communal agricultural and manufacturing society that eventually acquired over 600 acres  and numbered more than 300 members at its peak before ultimately failing in 1856 due to socioeconomic inequalities and bankruptcy resulting from conflicts between its ideology and business organization.  In that same year, the assets of Hopedale Community were purchased by the E.D. and G. Draper Company, led by Ebenezer and George Draper, who were the operators of Hopedale Community’s most successful manufacturing enterprise, textile machinery manufacturing. The Drapers had previously shared space in this old machine shop, which dates to around 1843, alongside fellow community workers who made hat and shoe boxes, sawed lumber, and ran an iron forge. As the Drapers founded the Draper Corporation, which became the largest maker of power looms for the textile industry in the United States, they never lost sight of their beginnings and preserved this building, which became known as the Little Red Shop. To preserve the building, it was moved four times in its life, to allow for the growth of the company factories, eventually being placed in its current location on town parkland, where it now houses a collection of Draper textile machinery as the Little Red Shop Museum. The Little Red Stop is just one story with nine bays and is vernacular in style, with its notable decorative feature being the metal weathervane mounted at the roof over an elaborate saw-cut wooden base. 

Hopedale Town Hall // 1886

In 1886, when the Town of Hopedale was incorporated, George Draper, the head of the Draper Corporation, bankrolled $40,000 for the design and construction of a new town hall building for his new hometown. Designed to house municipal offices, a meeting hall, the town’s library, with ground floor commercial spaces, the building is the work of architect, Frederick Swasey. The Richardsonian Romanesque style town hall is constructed of Milford granite with contrasting trim in Longmeadow sandstone with a lot of great detailing and a prominent entry arch with engaged colonettes. Before the building opened, its donor, George Draper died, and the building was officially donated to the town by his heirs. After over 100 years as the town hall, in 2025, the town voted to sell the building as its restoration and updates to make the building fully accessible would be too expensive. As of the time of posting, the building’s future is uncertain, but the building really needs to be preserved!

Draper Corporation Company Offices // 1910

After decades of growth of the Draper Corporation in Hopedale, Massachusetts, in the late 19th century, the company began a massive building campaign of larger, architecturally significant (and most importantly, fireproof) buildings for company use. The original company office building, constructed in 1880, was outgrown and it was decided a new, larger company office was needed. Designed by Milford-based architect, Robert Allen Cook in 1910, the former office building was located across Hopedale Street from the main plant. This massive two-story brick building on a raised basement is an example of the Renaissance Revival style built of brick and terra cotta. The building closed along with the company in the mid-20th century, but as opposed to the main complex, was adaptively reused through a renovation as a senior living facility.

Draper Corporation Factory Complex // 1892-2021

2021 aerial photo

Hopedale, Massachusetts separated from Milford and incorporated in 1886. The “downtown” of the community encompasses industrial, institutional, and residential buildings in Hopedale Village, also known as Draper Village after the long-driver of the local economy, Draper Corporation. Hopedale was largely developed as a planned company town, and its architectural significance and ultimate preservation was largely due to the success of the Draper Corporation as majority owner until the 1950s. The Draper Corporation was originally a small operation in Hopedale in 1841 managed by George Draper (1817-1887), but grew exponentially thanks to his son, George Albert Draper (1855-1926), who had a passion for finding innovative technology to make the production of cloth more efficient. He led the company’s charge to become the nation’s leading producer of machines for the cloth-making industry. In the ensuing decades the factory village of Hopedale became a “model” company town under his leadership, with the business controlling every aspect of the town and worker life in a paternalistic program that extended beyond social structure to include architecture and urban planning of the village. The company developed hundreds of homes for workers, a town hall, library, churches, schools, a fire station, and recreational facilities, along with its factory complex at the center. In1892, with the advent of the Northrop Loom, Draper became the largest producer of textile machinery in the country. Due to their success at the end of the 19th century, much of the complex was built and rebuilt in fire-proof brick factory buildings with large windows to allow light and air into the facilities. Draper’s dominant position within the textile machine manufacturing industry began to erode shortly after World War II, and the company began to sell its company houses to their occupants as private homes in 1956. During the 1960s American textile machinery makers such as Draper lost their technological leadership to foreign manufacturers due to cheap labor, and the general American textile industry collapsed. The plant eventually closed in 1980, and sat vacant until it was decided by the local officials to raze the once great complex, as adaptive reuse was not feasible in the market for such large structures. The mill was demolished in the summer of 2021 and the lot at the center of town remains a brownfield site.

Baker-Byrd House // 1888

Located on Brimmer Street in Beacon Hill, this handsome residence is constructed of rough-faced brownstone laid in a random ashlar pattern and is among the most unique in a neighborhood known for brick townhouses. Decorative treatment includes a stone band that is carved with foliate and faces, colonettes that rise along the facade at the bay, and an ornate molded copper entablature and parapet at the roof. The residence dates to 1888 and was built for Seth R. Baker, a Boston real estate developer at the end of the 19th century. It can be inferred that the building was designed by architect, Ernest N. Boyden, as Baker hired Boyden as architect for a half-dozen other apartment buildings between 1888-1890. Antoino Xavier, a Portuguese-born mason is listed as the builder. In the 1910s, the property was purchased by Marie Ames Byrd, wife of polar explorer Richard A. Byrd, who lived a few houses away at 9 Brimmer Street. She rented the four apartments to boarders through the 1930s.


St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church, Brookline Village // 1880

St. Mary of the Assumption church was the first Catholic Church established in Brookline, Massachusetts, in 1852 when a congregation of Catholics began to congregate to worship together at the old Lyceum Hall. The congregation primarily consisted of Irish immigrants who settled in Brookline, where they often found work at the many large estates and building the new branch railroad in town, but desired a true house of worship close to their homes. By 1853, a modest wood-frame Gothic Revival style church was built in the Village, but was quickly outgrown. In 1873, the pastor of the congregation, Irish-born Rev. Lawrence Morris (1845-1900) began purchasing land at the corner of Harvard Street and Linden Place to establish a new church, large enough to comfortably fit the congregation and various church-related buildings. In 1880, the firm of Peabody & Stearns was hired to furnish plans for the Victorian Gothic edifice in brick and brownstone. Although the church was designed in 1880, it was not dedicated until 1886, and at this time, Pope Leo XIII sent a chalice to the Parish in honor of the completion of this church, the first in America to be named Saint Mary of the Assumption.

Brookline Town Hall // 1965

The modernist Brookline Town Hall building stands in stark contrast to the many historic buildings in Brookline Village, and even more-so from the town’s third Town Hall, a Victorian Gothic design by architect Samuel J. F. Thayer. Completed in 1965 as a six-story municipal “skyscraper”, the structure was designed by Anderson, Beckwith, and Haible, architects who specialized in sleek, clean, Modernist designs, primarily in office parks and college campuses. The unadorned box is broken up only by the rows of identical windows and slightly projecting fins, which break up the bays in their own monotony. Like many such municipal and office buildings of the time, the structure is set back from the street and surrounded by landscaping, with surface parking behind. While the building was lauded when it opened in 1965, tastes shifted and like in many communities, a majority of the public (and likely the employees who work here) would have preferred its predecessor.

Gleason-Patterson House // 1803

Another stately old home on Glezen Lane in Wayland is this brick, Federal style country mansion located across from the town Training Field. This residence is said to have been built by a Nathaniel Gleason (Glezen) and later inherited by a family member, Abel Glezen (1803-1890) who farmed the 55 acres of land and was a local politician. In 1900, as Wayland shifted from rural community to a desirable Boston suburb for summer residences, the Gleason House was purchased by Henry W. Patterson, who was in his late 20s when he bought this country house. Henry inherited his father’s estate and married Jane Harrington Adams from Massachusetts. The couple spent only a couple years here until Henry died in 1907 at just 35 years old. Jane, his widow, remained here until her death in 1950. The estate was subsequently subdivided and remains one of the finest homes in the community.

Isaac Gleason House // 1805

Built in 1805 by Isaac Gleason (Glezen), this Federal style mansion was later expanded in the early 20th century in the Colonial Revival style as Wayland became more of a wealthy Boston suburb. Located on the appropriately named Glezen Lane, this house was constructed for Isaac Glezen (1769-1843), who farmed the land here. Other family members built homes nearby. As Wayland shifted from rural community to a wealthy Boston suburb in the early 20th century, the property was purchased by Charles Ashley Hardy and his wife, Alice. The couple would sell the property in 1918, which comprised of 89-acres of land and a chauffeur’s residence, was purchased by Albert H. Beck, a New York banker. The property was later subdivided and consists of many other large, single-family homes.