Ashland Railroad Station // 1869

The railroad arrived to Ashland, New Hampshire (then a part of Holderness) in 1849, which connected the industrial village to Concord for both freight and passenger service. The first Ashland Station opened as a combined passenger and freight station of the Boston, Concord & Montreal Railroad, which was chartered by the State of New Hampshire in 1844.  Construction of its initial 93-mile track through largely agricultural, rural, and mountainous territory began in 1846 and concluded in 1853, when the railroad reached its terminus in Wells River, Vermont. Over time, the railroad expanded and acquired branch railroads, connecting it to routes all over the northeast. As manufacturing flourished in Ashland, the town grew, which necessitated the demand for a larger passenger station for the railroad. Additionally, in 1869, the original freight and passenger station (built c.1850), was remodeled to handle increased freight. This passenger station was built in 1869 and resembles many other rural New England railroad stations of its period with its rectangular form and low hipped roof with extended eaves supported by brackets to shelter those waiting for the next train to arrive. In 1895, the Concord & Montreal came under the control of the Boston & Maine Railroad and it continued to serve many travelers as the gateway to the town and the popular Squam Lakes Region in summers. Regular passenger service at the Station ended in 1959, and the Boston & Maine Railroad sold the Station to Joseph Curley.  In 1980, his widow Vera Curley generously donated the station and site to the Ashland Historical Society, who oversaw a restoration of the building. Today, the building serves as a local history museum and serves as a stop along the Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad on its popular Fall Foliage Tours.

Ashland Grist Mill // 1903

The Ashland Grist Mill stands as one of Ashland, New Hampshire’s most recognizable historic landmarks, reflecting the town’s long tradition of water-powered industry along the Squam River. The present mill was built in 1903 after an earlier gristmill on the site was destroyed by fire, continuing a milling legacy that dates back to the late 18th century when some of the area’s first sawmills and gristmills utilized the river’s strong current. Architecturally, the three-story vernacular industrial building is notable for its massive timber-frame central section flanked by balloon-framed wings, a practical design that absorbed the vibration of the heavy milling machinery while providing ample space for grain storage and flour production. Its attached dam, now a concrete structure replacing the original wooden dam, remains an important feature of the historic landscape, both of which were listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In the late 20th century, the mill was thoughtfully restored and adapted for professional offices, preserving its distinctive exterior and ensuring that this enduring symbol of Ashland’s industrial heritage continues to serve the community while honoring its past.

Ashland Town Hall // 1871

The Ashland Town Hall in Ashland, New Hampshire, was built in 1871, three years after the town separated from Holderness, due to its growing economy as an industrial village compared to its mother-town’s more agricultural character. Constructed of brick, the facade is dominated by its gable roof which reads as a pediment and bays divided by brick pilasters which harkens back to the Greek Revival style; while the use of arched brick mouldings which is a common element in the Italianate style. The handsome, well-proportioned structure was used for town meetings and elections until 1950, and in 1952, the building was used by the school district as the village school. The building returned to municipal functions in 1972 and has since housed the Ashland Town Offices. The Old Ashland Town Hall was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

Bow Town Pound // 1821

In farming communities all across New England, disputes inevitably arose when one person’s livestock left their land and damaged another person’s crops. New England laws required farmers to fence their fields and keep farm animals from straying, but some inevitably got out. The solution was to build pounds where stray cattle, horses, sheep and swine were rounded up and kept by a town-appointed pound keeper who would round up the roaming animals and keep them there, charging by the day until an owner releases the animal and pays the fee of any damage done. The old town pound in Bow, New Hampshire, dates to 1821 and features tall stone walls, high enough to prevent taller livestock from jumping out. As towns like Bow shifted away from agrarian culture, these structures crumbled back into the earth. Luckily for us, some sommunities preserved their pounds and in Bow, the local community restored the town pound in 2011.

Cyrus Colby Farmhouse // c.1826

This historic farmhouse, tucked away on a quiet dead-end street in Bow, New Hampshire, is known as the Cyrus Colby Farmhouse. The residence dates to about 1826, and was likely built by Cyrus’ father, John Colby (1772-1836) and later inherited and occupied by his son, Cyrus. Cyrus Colby (1822-1900) lived at this house and farmed the land along the hillside and operated a successful family farm which included cornfields and grazing fields for their livestock with various barns on the property, notable for a post-and-beam dairy barn across the road that was built in 1878. The historic farm was purchased and restored, bringing the 200-year-old property a new life, suitable for modern living, while preserving the unique assemblage of farm buildings.

Bow Baptist Church // 1832

The Bow Baptist Church congregation was established in 1795 and reorganized in 1816. Prior to erecting its beautiful church building in 1832, meetings were held in member homes and the old Townhouse. Designed in the Gothic Revival style with some Greek Revival pilasters in the steeple, the church stands as an important early building for the community. Since its establishment, the congregation has advocated for causes of abolition and temperance and is presently known as the Crossroads Community Church, a non-denominational house of worship. Tragedy struck in 2018, when a lightning-strike hit the steeple, sparking an intense blaze that fire crews managed to prevent from spreading to the rest of the nearly 200-year-old structure. The steeple was completely destroyed, and the interior below sustained heavy water damage. Undeterred, the congregation worked to rebuild the steeple, bringing this nearly 200-year-old church back to her former glory.

Baker Free Library // 1914

In 1912, Congressman Henry M. Baker, cousin of Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of the Church of Christ, Scientist, left in his will, $10,000 and the land next to his family home to the Town of Bow for the creation of a public library for his hometown. Architect, William McLean formerly of the firm, McLean and Wright, who specialized in library designs of the early 20th century, was selected to furnish plans for Bow’s new library, which employs a sort of Classical Revival/Beaux Arts design, similar to many Carnegie libraries of the time. As the town grew, the library has been expanded.

Bow Old Town Hall // 1847

The town of Bow, New Hampshire, was incorporated in 1727 and named after its location along a bend, or “bow” in the Merrimack River at its easternmost boundary. Early town meetings were held in the town meetinghouse of 1770, and the second meetinghouse of 1801, until the separation of church and state became official in New Hampshire in 1819, with the passage of the Toleration Act. Until 1819, residents in New Hampshire conducted town business and religious services in the same building, the town meetinghouse. However, as towns diversified and religious freedom prospered, citizens grew less comfortable supporting one particular religious denomination with taxpayer money. Bow eventually secured funding to erect its first purpose-built town hall in 1847, this vernacular, two-story building on Bow Center Road. The small building served as the town hall for over 100 years, when in 1957, a growing suburban population required a larger, more modern town hall. The old Town Hall of Bow now serves as a meeting place for Town organizations and is rented out to Town residents for events.

Larkin-Ladd House // c.1813

The Larkin-Ladd House at 180 Middle Street in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, is a three-story, masonry Federal-style residence with symmetrical facade, built for one of the city’s wealthiest merchants. Samuel Larkin (1773-1849) was born in Charlestown and moved to Portsmouth, marrying Ann Jaffrey Wentworth, a daughter of Col. Joshua Wentworth. During the War of 1812, Samuel Larkin made his fortune as an auctioneer, selling the contents of English ships captured by local privateers. It is believed that fourteen privateers and their crews worked out of Portsmouth Harbor and are said to have captured an estimated 419 British ships! With the profits from stolen goods from these British ships, Larkin purchased lots on Middle Street and began construction of this stately residence. He (and mostly his wife), had twenty-two children, although roughly half of them died before reaching adulthood. By the late 1820s, financial hardship fell on Larkin and he sold this property, moving into his house next door, which before this was his original residence and later rented to boarders. The Federal style mansion was later owned by Henry H. Ladd, a prosperous Portsmouth shipping merchant, who also served as President of New Hampshire Bank and Portsmouth Savings Bank. The Larkin-Ladd House is undoubtedly one of the finest Federal style residences in New England, and stands out for its entrance, flanked by Palladian windows and the slightly recessed elliptical surrounds at the first and second floor windows. Additionally, the historic stable, also from the 1810s, maintains much of its architectural integrity.

New Ipswich Union Hall // c.1845

This large, wood-frame building on Main Street in New Ipswich, New Hampshire, dates to the 1840s and has long served as a meeting place for local social groups and organizations. The building is a vernacular example of the Greek Revival style with corner pilasters, a dentiled entablature and slightly pedimented lintels over the windows and paired doors. The building was used by various groups including the local chapter of the International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF), the Women’s Relief Corps, and as the Watatic Grange Hall.

New Ipswich Public Library // 1895

The New Ipswich Public Library is a one-story Shingle style building on Main Street in the charming village of New Ipswich, New Hampshire. The library building was likely designed by Ernest M. A. Machado, one of the best, and relatively unknown architects of the late 19th and early 20th century in Salem. The entrance which faces the side, is flanked by two diamond-pane windows, which can also be found on the primary facade. A special ten-light vertical window is recessed within a shingled depression in the gable, which adds some complexity to the design.

Old New Ipswich Town Hall // 1817

New Ipswich, New Hampshire, is a town that oozes New England charm! Winding back roads are lined with Colonial-era homes and buildings, lovingly maintained by stewards and neighbors to create the quintessential small town feeling. New Ipswich was granted in 1735 to 60 inhabitants of Ipswich, Massachusetts, where the name is derived, by colonial Governor Jonathan Belcher and the General Court of Massachusetts. European settlement began here in 1738, when Abijah Foster arrived to the area with his wife and infant daughter. At the center of town, a new Town Hall was built in 1817 as a combination town hall and private academy with funds provided by the town government and by the trustees of New Ipswich Academy. The building was constructed under the direction of Deacon Nathaniel Gould, using materials salvaged from a disused meetinghouse of 1770. The arched gable window is reputed to have been taken from the meeting house, as are twisted balusters on the gallery stairway inside. As completed in 1817, the building had a full second floor which provided the academy with a lecture room, a small library, and a laboratory, but that was taken over by 1869 when the Town renovated the building, removing a tower and belfry, and occupied the second floor spaces. The building is still owned by the town, and is used occasionally for civic functions, with town offices in a mundane, newer building a short distance away.

Lord Mansion // 1822

Isaac Lord (1772-1838) was born in Maine, but would spend much of his time transforming the small town of Effingham, New Hampshire. Isaac married the love of his life, Susanna Leavitt in Exeter in 1793 and the couple moved to Effingham, living and working in a tavern he built. Isaac prospered as an innkeeper, merchant, farmer, and entrepreneur, becoming Effingham’s wealthiest citizen, making the village he owned buildings to be called Lord’s Hill in his name. From 1818 to 1822, Isaac and Susanna lived in Portland, but he was ridiculed for “having money but no culture”. Growing tired of the city, he decided to return to Effingham. Mrs. Lord found the village too quiet and longed for the social life to be had in Portland, Maine. To convince his wife to remain with him, Isaac promised her a mansion that rivaled the homes in wealthy seaports like Portland and Portsmouth and began working on his mansion in Effingham in 1822. After years, the massive estate was completed, but Susanna remained in Portland. A heartbroken Isaac moved into the large mansion and continued business until his death in 1838. The Isaac Lord House consists of a three-story main block with a grand cupola on its roof and a three story ell to its rear. Stables and a carriage house are also on the lot today. I would do anything to see the inside of this beauty!

Drake Store // c.1816

The Drake Store is a vernacular, early 19th century commercial building located in the center of Effingham, New Hampshire. According to local sources, the building was erected around 1816 by Weare Drake, an original settler of the town at age 78, and his 23-year-old grandson, Thomas Parsons Drake. The store sold provisions and was home to a post office, when Thomas Drake served as the town’s postmaster. Within a few years, the store fell into disuse and the building was fitted up as an academy known as the Carroll Literary Institute. Due to insufficient enrollment, in the 1850’s, it was again occupied as a store by Alexander Mellen Drake (hence the sign) and changed hands several times before being purchased by Grange No. 313 in 1913, operating as a grange hall for local farmers. The building was given by the Grange to the Town in 1994 and purchased from the Town for $1 by the Preservation Society in 2002. The Preservation Society has been restoring the building through capital campaigns and grants and the old store shines once again!

Dearborn-Keay House // c.1772

The town of Effingham, New Hampshire, was settled by members of the Leavitt family of HamptonNew Hampshire, led by Captain John Leavitt. From them the settlement first took the name “Leavitt’s Town”. In 1749, the land here was officially granted by Governor Benning Wentworth, and he renamed it “Effingham” for the Howard family, who were Earls of Effingham in England and who were related to the Wentworths by marriage. The town was incorporated in 1778, six years after this house was built. This is the Dearborn-Keay House, a 1772 Colonial home in Effingham, built by Benjamin Dearborn, who was an early settler of the area from Hampton, New Hampshire. The homestead was enlarged by his nephew Asahel Dearborn in the early 1790s, giving the home its present appearance. After later ownership in the Dearborn Family, the property was purchased by Cyrus Keay, who would die in the home in 1894. The property remained in the ownership of the Keay family for many years more.