Located next door to his brother’s house on Union Street in Rockland, Massachusetts, Richmond J. Lane, a shoe manufacturer, built this charming cottage for his family. Built around 1860 in the Second Empire style, this residence includes a concave mansard roof, dentilled cornice with brackets, and arched windows and dormers, and a stable at the rear. Richmond J. Lane (1826-1905) worked in shoe manufacturing and was said to have been instrumental in establishing the Hanover Branch Railroad, and served as president of local banks. The Richmond J. Lane house is an important, and well-preserved example of the Second Empire style in Rockland.
The Zenas Lane House on Union Street in Rockland, Massachusetts, was built circa 1860 for its namesake, a shoe manufacturer who later engaged in real estate and local politics. Zenas Meriet Lane married Emeline Morse and had this handsome Italianate style residence built on the town’s main street. The two-story house is capped with a shallow hip roof with eyebrow window heads breaking the eaves. At the rear of the site, there is a preserved carriage house which echoes design details from the main structure.
The most colorful house in Rockland, Massachusetts can be found on Union Street, the town’s busiest corridor, lined with houses and buildings of all ages and styles. The Lane-Bailey House was built in 1848 for Marshall Lane, a shoe manufacturer in town. The Greek Revival style residence features a gable roof oriented towards the street, which reads as a pediment and a full-length columned porch that wraps around the side of the home. The property was purchased in the early 20th century by William Andrew Grant Smith (1863-1908), a wealthy jeweler, who apparently added a second floor to the house, up from a 1-1/2 story cottage, and likely added the wrap-around porch at this time. Jumping ahead to the turn of the 21st century, the prominent house was owned by Brad and Sam Bailey, who painted the residence bold colors, added a wishing well and birdhouses to the front yard, and replaced the traditional grass lawn with crushed seashells. In an article talking about the house, Brad Bailey stated, “We do it because lots of things in life [that] are dull. Our house shouldn’t have to be.” Despite the polarizing thoughts and opinions from those who walk or drive by, the house is loved and certainly causes people to stop and smile!
Joseph Stanley Turner (1841-1893) married Fannie Pratt (1849-1930) in 1871 and within a year, had this large, Second Empire style house built on Webster Street in Rockland, Massachusetts, for his family. Joseph Turner was a Civil War veteran and owned a shoe factory in town, making his fortune manufacturing shoes and boots which were sold all over the country. The main house is two-stories with a symmetrical plan with central entrance and projecting portico. An equally significant mansard-roofed stable sits behind and to the side of the main house, and can be classified as an example in the Stick style with applied stickwork at the siding and in the hay door, as well as the pedimented dormer with decorative truss.
The Rockland Memorial Library in Rockland, Massachusetts is one of the most architecturally and historically significant buildings in the town. The Classical Revival style library was built in 1903 and is the Town of Rockland’s first purpose-built library structure. When Rockland separated from adjacent Abington in 1874, much of the collection became housed in a commercial building, which was consumed by fire in 1890, taking much of the collections with it. Although funds were raised soon after the fire for a permanent home for the library, its construction was made possible by a grant of $12,500 from Andrew Carnegie in 1902, as part of his nationwide gift to cities and towns for libraries. The handsome structure is constructed of brick, granite, and terra cotta, and was designed by the Boston-based architectural firm of McLean & Wright. The most interesting features of the building include the rooftop dome containing skylights and capped by a finial and the projecting entrance with pediment, quoins, and engaged Ionic columns.
Rockland, Massachusetts, was incorporated in 1874 as the result of a dispute over the construction of an expensive school building in Abington Center in 1871 and the belief that East Abington could develop into a more successful industrial community if separate from Abington. By the turn of the 20th century, there were approximately 900 children in Rockland between the ages of 5 and 15 who were being educated in the local school system, largely comprised of first- and second-generation immigrants, arriving to the area to work in shoe manufacturing. Many smaller, schools dotted the landscape until a larger, consolidated school was built 1892. Decades later, prosperity and a growing population necessitated a new school, and the architectural firm of Cooper & Bailey, designed the town’s first brick school building. Classical Revival in style, the building features a prominent pediment supported by two, two-story Ionic columns and dentilated cornice. The building is now a community center – housing a day care, pre-school and meeting spaces for Girl Scouts. The building also housed Rockland’s senior center prior to the construction of a new senior center elsewhere in town. It suffers from deferred maintenance and is in need of some attention.
Prior to its establishment as an independent town in 1874, Rockland, Massachusetts, was part of “Old” Abington. The town became best-known for its number of shoe manufacturing companies, even more significant as the town is said to have provided nearly half of the Union Army’s footwear during the Civil War. In the late 19th century, due to increased connectivity of Rockland to regional markets, business boomed, and this site on Maple Street, adjacent to the railroad, was purchased for a new factory. The first factory here was constructed in 1894 for the local Hall, Gallagher & Foulke Shoe Company, who would dissolve after just two years, selling the site to George W. Hall, one of the original trustees. In 1906, the Emerson Shoe Company, burned out of its Brockton factory caused by a disastrous fire, began operations as a tenant in the former George W. Hall factory in Rockland. With continued expansion, the Emerson Shoe Company soon became one of the largest employers in Rockland. The factory was enlarged numerous times through the 1920s. The company would eventually close, even though, by the late 1920s, Rockland and six neighboring communities were manufacturing 27% of all shoes worn in the United States. However, most likely due to the aging of the original founders and labor issues, Emerson Shoe was sold. After various other uses, including as an artist’s colony of studios, the building was restored and converted into residential loft-style housing.
In 1872, due to industrialization and increased numbers of immigrants settling in the area for work, it was decided that a new Catholic parish should be established in East Abington. Two years later, the village of East Abington incorporated as Rockland. It would be a decade later, in 1882, until the Holy Family Parish would be established, beginning planning of a true house of worship for the growing number of Catholics here. When the Holy Family Church was constructed in 1882, only a quarter of the Rockland’s approximately 4000 residents were Catholic at that time. Most of the original congregation consisted of Irish immigrants who worked in the town’s boot and shoe manufacturing industry. As the industry continued to flourish in the 1890s and 1900s, new shoe factories were built, bringing more workers to Rockland, including: Canadians, Italians, and British to the area. The town’s Catholic community grew as a result. The Victorian Gothic style Catholic church was built in 1882, with no known architect at this time. A complex of other buildings, including a school, rectory, and community center.
Rockland, Massachusetts, was first populated by European settlers in 1673 as the northeastern region of the town of Abington. The town separated and incorporated as Rockland in 1874, due, in part, to issues on how the town spent its tax dollars on schools. The town name was likely selected due to the rocky soil found there, which was better-suited for mulls and industry than for farming. The Ludo Poole House, seen here, was built in 1829 at the corner of Union and Exchange streets, at an intersection which became known as ‘Poole’s Corner’. The house was built for Mr. Ludo Poole (1803-1870) and his new wife, Mary Josselyn Poole, who would raise eight children here. The property was inherited by the couple’s eldest son, Ludo Augustus Poole, who worked at a local shoe manufacturer and served in the American Civil War. The property remained in the Poole family until 1951. The property was owned in the late 20th century by John Burrows, who renovated the interior thoughtfully to blend original Federal-period elements with English Arts and Crafts style.
Constructed in 1821 for Joshua King (1783-1849), this Federal style mansion is one of the last country estates in Abington, Massachusetts. Joshua King was a Deacon of a local church and a well-to-do citizen in town, living nearby until a hurricane blew the roof off of his former house. Seeking to rebuilt a new, more substantial family home, it is said that Joshua required that this house would be built to last centuries, with some residents stating that the roof structure itself had enough timber to build a second home. The Federal style mansion has three chimneys with 12 fireplaces inside, and is set amongst rolling fields bounded by old stone walls, likely giving the property its name, “Highfields”. The property was later converted to a duplex, but retains much of its original design at the exterior.
Moses Noyes Arnold (1844-1919) was born in Abington, Massachusetts and began making shoes in his free time, a task that would make him his fortune later as an adult. After serving in the Civil War and mustering out in 1863, he began a shoe-making business from his father’s property before renting a small factory space in town to increase operations. His company continued to grow and it was decided that Arnold would build his own factory in town. In 1875, Moses N. Arnold began the building of the main wing of the present brick shoe factory near the railroad station in North Abington. As the M. N. Arnold Shoe Company grew, five additions were made until it attained its present capacity of 3,000 pairs of shoes daily. The company weathered the collapse of the stock market in 1929 but the economic instability took its toll on the company, leading the company to sell in 1931 to the Stetson Shoe Company of South Weymouth. This factory was sold at auction and later in 1943, was purchased by The Abington Company which manufactured, installed, and serviced vacuum cleaning systems for textile factories. The handsome brick, Italianate style factory remains in a great state of preservation, and showcases the type of factories built all over New England following the Civil War.
Located across from the North Abington Depot, this structure was constructed in 1894 as a leather harness and saddle shop by local businessman, Henry Crossley. The expensive building of cut granite and brick seemed to have overextended Mr. Crossley’s means, as he would soon-after file for bankruptcy. The building would remain as commercial use until 1915, when the property was purchased by the Peerless Amusement Company for use as a 300-seat theater. By the 1930s, the building became known as the Capitol Theater, and was listed to seat 230 customers on the main floor and 70 in the balcony. Due to the more rural nature of the cinema, it closed in the mid-20th century, and suffered from neglect for decades until it was restored and is currently housing apartments.
The North Abington Depot was built in 1894 from plans by notable architect Bradford Lee Gilbert in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, a design that typified many regional train stations following Henry Hobson Richardson’s commission by the Boston and Lowell Railroad. Construction on the depot began soon after the “North Abington Riot”, in which railroad laborers and local townspeople fought over the town’s right to allow a grade-level streetcar crossing over the train tracks. The railroad executives filed an injunction before the state supreme court, and Justice Marcus Perrin Knowlton, at a hearing, dismissed the bill, saying that since the Selectmen had acted within their right as representatives of the townspeople who owned the public highway, the Supreme Court had no reason to become involved. This decision was disputed by the railroad’s attorney, who advised them that this decision was not binding, which ultimately would be deemed incorrect. On August 15, 1893, fifteen local men (many of whom were sworn in as special police for the occasion) with the aid of fire hoses, withstood the onslaughts of more than 200 railroad laborers, armed wit h picks, shovels, and paving stones. After many were injured, the brawl ended. In the aftermath, the full bench of five Justices of the Massachusetts Supreme Court upheld the validity of the position taken by a single Justice, saying that any one member was in position to adequately interpret the law. This decision still stands and is quoted in similar cases in the field of jurisprudence. This depot was completed in 1894 by the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad as a peace offering following the North Abington train riot and a visual reminder that no corporation, no matter how powerful, is superior to the right of the people and the laws of the land.
This late example of a Federal style five-bay house is located at 78 Adams Street in Abington, Massachusetts. The house was constructed in 1832 for Joseph Cleverly (1797-1888), a shoe manufacturer who married Sally Gloyd, the daughter of a wealthy shoe manufacturer in town. Mr. Cleverly built the adjacent stable and shop where he held his horses and manufactured his products. The vernacular barn/shop is a rare survivor of the type and is a visual representation as to the importance of shoe manufacturing for the town of Abington.
The Abington Memorial Arch and Bridge at Island Grove Park was dedicated on June 10, 1912 as part of the town’s bicentennial observances. The Grove had been a popular meeting place for the Massachusetts Anti-slavery Society, with William Lloyd Garrison, Wendell Phillips, Abby Kelley Foster, and Lucy Stone among the many prominent reformers who spoke there. Abington resident and Civil War veteran, Capt. Moses Arnold, donated a large marker in 1909 to commemorate the abolitionist meetings at Island Grove, this act led the local GAR Post to begin planning a Civil War Memorial Bridge and Arch for the community. The 17-acre park is comprised of a peninsula jutting into Island Grove Pond, a 35-acre body of water which was created by impounding the Shumatuscacant River in c. 1700 for industry. The area has a significant history, first as an industrial site, then as an amusement park, before it became the wooded park it is now. The Memorial Arch and Bridge serves as the main entrance to the park, and was designed collectively by architect, J. Williams Beal, landscape architects, the Olmsted Brothers, and sculptor, Bela Pratt. The municipal park is a beloved local landmark and host to many events.