Harcourt Wood Memorial Library // 1902

Derby’s main public library building, the Harcourt Wood Memorial Library, is located a few blocks from the city’s downtown on a unique triangular lot formed by Elizabeth and Caroline Streets. The one-story library is one of the finest of its period in all of New England and is built primarily out of Ansonia granite. The library was designed by architect Hartley Dennett and is notable for its Colonial Revival style porticoed entrance and distinctive rounded Flemish gables on the side walls. The interior is said to retain most of its original woodwork and many of its original furnishings. The building was constructed in 1902 following the donation of land and funds for its construction by Hamilton Holton Wood, a native of Montreal who made his fortune operating Derby’s streetcar railway system. The library is named in honor of Wood’s son Harcourt, who died at the age of 12 in 1897. The community does a great job at preserving the structure, which is one of the finest of its type in the region. 

Second Congregational Church of Derby // 1845

The Second Congregational Church of Derby was built in 1845 by members of the Birmingham Congregational Society, who grew tired of travelling across the river to the First Congregational Church in town. The present “downtown” of Derby was originally known as Birmingham and grew as the industrial center in the city, which historically was much larger than it is today. The Birmingham Congregation had this edifice constructed in the Greek Revival style, and it was added onto in 1859, 1889, and underwent alterations in 1915, when the facade was altered with Colonial Revival flourishes. The additions to the facade include the Palladian window, elliptical leaded window in the pediment, and panels with swags and wreaths. The top of the steeple was damaged by Hurricane Gloria in 1985 and removed, and was replicated in 2021.

Upland Farmhouse // 1929

The Nashoba Valley Winery in Bolton, Massachusetts, is one of Bolton’s most successful examples of the adaptation of an old agricultural property in the state. The land here was first developed as a farm in the early 19th century by Captain Martin Houghton (1779-1833). The farmland here, which has always had a scenic view, was called “Valley View Farm” later owner, William N. Felton (1835-1920). Sadly, the old farmhouse burned down in 1928, and the property was sold that year to Roy Clemens, an osteopathic doctor, who had this charming shingled cottage built in 1929. Roy and his wife, Laura, planted an apple orchard on the hills and named the property “Upland Farm”. Roy died in 1969 and Laura followed in 1981. With suburban development likely, the property was ultimately saved when it was purchased by Jack Partridge as the new home of the Nashoba Valley Winery, which was founded in Somerville in 1978. The winery specializes in fruit wines, and grows most of the fruits and berries for them on the property. The business expanded, adding a distillery, brewery and restaurant, and the beautiful grounds are often host to weddings and events.

Wilder Mansion // c.1738

The Wilder Mansion at 101 Wilder Road in Bolton, Massachusetts, was built in about 1738 as an early Georgian farmhouse by Josiah Richardson, a Revolutionary War veteran who died in the home in 1799. By 1814, Sampson Vryling Stoddard Wilder purchased the property and “modernized” the old farmhouse which due to its location along the Bay Path, a major east-west route from Lancaster to Boston, operated it as an inn and tavern. Mr. Wilder expanded the property, purchasing additional nearby farmland to create a country seat worthy of a wealthy agent for some of the most influential merchants in the shipping trade in Boston. During his tour of the United States in 1824, Marquis de Lafayette spent the night here on September 2nd between visits to Boston and Lancaster. Sampson V. S. Wilder lost the property following economic crises, and the property changed hands many times until the early 20th century. Stockbroker John L . Saltonstall (1878-1929), first cousin to Massachusetts Governor Leverett Saltonstall, hired Boston architects Bigelow & Wadsworth in 1910, to return the house to a more Colonial appearance. He and his family were apparently only summer residents here, and he was probably absent for a long period during the First World War, when he worked with the Navy and the War Trade Board in Washington, D.C. In about 1915, he sold the property, and in the early 1920’s he relocated to Topsfield, Mass. After WWI, the house had a series of short-term owners, one of which was Henry Forbes Bigelow, who designed the renovation of the house just years prior. Bigelow would later relocate to a new summer house nearby in Lancaster.

Captain Samuel Blood House // c.1793

This grand federal-period house was built around 1793 by Capt. Samuel Blood (1749-1834), who had served in the American Revolution. He came to Bolton from Lancaster by 1788, and purchased a farm here, where he began working as a hat manufacturer, building a large shop where he made beaver and silk hats. The land As his business grew, his original house was demolished to make way for this more stately, Federal-period home which dates to around 1793. Samuel Blood and his wife, Lucretia (Heywood) had twelve children. Their eldest son, Thomas (1774-1848) became a doctor and settled in Peterborough, New Hampshire, but returned to Bolton to take charge of the factory as his father got older. The family sold the home and the property, then about 120-acres, operated as a farm by subsequent owners. In 1916, the property was sold to Howard Atwood, who had been a successful Boston wool merchant, and he raised pedigreed cattle, thoroughbred horses, and sheep on this property, possibly as a gentleman’s farm. He and his wife, Rose, built a large new barn near the main house where they held many parties and barn dances over the years. The couple also renovated the old house, adding the dormers, porticos and side additions, creating the current composition we see today. The property has been owned by a corporation and appears to be offices today.


Lancaster Town Hall // 1908

The Town Hall of Lancaster, Massachusetts, was built in 1908 and is one of four religious and civic buildings framing the village’s bucolic town green. The Town Hall was built opposite the Charles Bulfinch-designed First Church of Lancaster and replaced an earlier town hall building that was constructed in 1848. The building was largely funded as a gift from wealthy Lancaster-native, Nathaniel Thayer’s sons, following their late-father’s death. Boston architect, Alexander Wadsworth Longfellow, the nephew of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, was hired to furnish plans for the building, which is Colonial Revival in style, a perfect compliment to the historic New England town.

Thayer Bird Museum // 1903

John Eliot Thayer (1862–1933) was an amateur ornithologist and member of the wealthy Thayer Family in Lancaster, Massachusetts. Due to his family’s business dealings, John Thayer was able to turn his passion, studying birds, into one of the largest collections of stuffed birds, eggs and nests for professionals all over the country to study. John began collecting and housed his collections were in several wooden buildings close to his home in Lancaster, but when these became unsafe and crowded he built this beautiful brick building in 1903 in South Lancaster opening it to the public as a museum a year later. The Boston architectural firm of Winslow & Bigelow designed the Colonial Revival style building, with the Guastavino Fireproof Construction Company providing plans for interior spaces and likely engineering inside. Many of the leading ornithologists of the time visited the Thayer Museum and it was estimated that more than ten thousand visitors came to the museum in the first six years.  In 1974, the building was sold to the now defunct Atlantic Union College and reopened as the Mabel Bartlett Art Gallery. Much of the Thayer collection was donated to the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Mr. Thayer’s alma mater, Harvard University. Since the Atlantic Union College closed in 2018, this important building has been closed, hopefully to see reuse in the eventual redevelopment of the campus.

Nathaniel Thayer Mansion // 1902

The Thayer Family is one of the most prominent and well-connected families of New England, and that stature comes with handsome estates. Nathaniel Thayer (1801-1883) was born in Lancaster as the son of Reverend Nathaniel Thayer (1769–1840), a Unitarian congregational minister. Nathaniel Thayer Jr. made his fortune in businesses and held deep ties to his hometown, despite spending most of his time in Boston. He took down the original Thayer home on this site and developed the estate in the 1850s. After his death, the property was inherited by his son, Nathaniel Thayer III (1851-1911), and the house was enlarged and remodeled in the Georgian Revival style in 1902 by the architect and interior designer Ogden Codman Jr. The mansion served as a summer home to Nathaniel, who too spent much of his time in Boston. After his death, the 46-room mansion was sold out of the Thayer family with many of its furnishings sold at auction. The Nathaniel Thayer Mansion house was sold to Atlantic Union College in 1943 at a cost of $12,500. It was used as the school’s administration building between 1945 and 1951, and then as a dormitory until about 1970. From 1973 to present-day, the estate has been home to Thayer Conservatory, Center for Music and the Arts, who do a great job at preserving this significant landmark.

Bessie & Murray Potter House // 1909

Murray A. Potter (1871-1915) and his wife, Bessie Lincoln Potter lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where Murray worked as a Professor of Romance Languages at Harvard College. The couple spent summers in Lancaster, Massachusetts, where they would purchase a house in 1909 that was built just a decade or so earlier. The couple were said to be big fans of history and decided to make their house resemble the 1782 Pierce-Nichols House in Salem, having the brown shingle Victorian house “modernized” in the current three-story near-symmetrical form.

Lancaster Central School // 1904

Located across the Town Common from the iconic Bulfinch Church in Lancaster, Massachusetts, this handsome 1904 Colonial/Classical Revival style school building was designed in response to its neighbors and Colonial context of the town of Lancaster. At a Town Meeting in 1903, a local building committee determined that “Bulfinch Colonial” would be the best style for the architecture for a new high school that would be built in the town center, with Herbert Dudley Hale, selected as the architect for the planned two-story brick building. The Center School had been used continuously as a public school until 2001, when it outlived its utility as school facility in town, which was vacated for years until grant funding and a restoration of the building, now known as the Prescott Building, for Town Offices, including the Lancaster Historical Commission. The facade is dominated by its seven-bay symmetrical façade featuring brick
corner quoins, double-door entrance, and two-story white-painted brick pilasters framing the entrance and “supporting” the pediment that contains the town crest in high-relief.

Lawrence-Bartol House // 1861

This handsome Victorian residence on Main Street in Lancaster, Massachusetts, was built in 1861 for Rev. Amos E. Lawrence (1812-1897), pastor of the local Evangelical Congregational Church. Amos Lawrence lived in the house for just 4 years until he sold it to Rev. George Bartol, of the First Church of Christ, Unitarian in Lancaster. George Murillo Bartol (1820-1906) served as the pastor for the iconic Bulfinch church for over 50 years until his death in 1906. The residence was then inherited by Reverend Bartol’s son, John Washburn Bartol, a prominent Boston physician who would spend time away from the city at his family home. The unique form of this mansard/gambrel-roofed house stands out along with its Colonial Revival alterations, which likely occurred in the late 19th or early 20th century.

Fullerton Inn // 1921

The Fullerton Inn, overlooking the Town Common in Chester, Vermont, is an imposing Colonial Revival style hotel that has been in operation through many iterations, and contributes to the strong commercial character of the Chester Village streetscape. The inn was first developed here following the arrival of the railroad to Chester, which brought new business and travellers to the formerly agrarian and light industrial community. The original 1862 inn building, known as the Ingraham House, was destroyed following a large fire in the village, and its replacement burned as well in January 1920. Within a year, the present building was built from the ashes in a style typical of the early 20th century, Colonial Revival. Dominated by the large slate-shingled gambrel roof and projecting front veranda, the building’s most iconic feature is said to be inside, a fireplace inside the lobby which contains 27 stone varieties from the area.

Chester Masonic Temple // 1907

Built in 1907, this handsome building on Main Street in Chester, Vermont, has long been the home to the Olive Branch Lodge 64 of the Freemasons, an international fraternal organization. Colonial Revival in style, the building features corner pilasters that support a denticulated entablature along the eaves of the slate hip roof. A projecting portico over the front entrance is supported by classical Ionic columns. The 1920s marked a heyday for Freemasonry, especially in the United States. By 1930, over 12% of the adult male population of the United States were members of the fraternity. Following the Great Depression and WWII, membership sharply declined in fraternal organizations, like the Masonic Temple. A number of years ago, the Lodge here moved to a new building in a nearby town, and a local law firm purchased the building and spent 18 months renovating the building for use. Today, the historic character and even symbology remain on the building, while it houses a local business. 

Thomas Aspinwall House // 1896

The Thomas Aspinwall House at 14 Hawthorn Road in Brookline was constructed in 1896 by architects, Ball & Dabney. The stately home was built for Thomas Aspinwall as a near copy of his great-grandfather’s 1803 Federal style house on Aspinwall Hill, the William Aspinwall House. Both residences feature a four-tier central bay with Palladian and lunette windows with a columned portico at the entrance. His grandfather, Dr. William Aspinwall graduated from Harvard in 1764 and studied medicine in Connecticut and in Philadelphia before beginning his medical practice in his hometown. He was one of the Brookline men who marched west and fought British troops as they retreated from Lexington and Concord in April 1775. He was put in charge of a hospital in Jamaica Plain during the Revolutionary War and later ran a hospital for smallpox victims in Brookline. His 1803 Federal style home was demolished in 1900 as the Aspinwall Hill area of Brookline was developed, but luckily, a replica remains on the other side of town, here on Hawthorn Road!

William & Sara Warren House // 1911

Built in 1911, this Colonial Revival style house rendered in stucco, is located at 28 Hawthorn Road in the Pill Hill neighborhood of Brookline, Massachusetts. The residence was built for William Marshall Warren (1865-1953) and his wife, Sara Shields Warren (1874-1964) from plans by the firm of Gay & Proctor. William M. Warren served on the faculty at Boston University as Professor of Philosophy and later as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, promoted by his father, William Fairfield Warren, who was President of the University. The Warren House features a symmetrical five-bay facade with central entrance within a projecting pedimented vestibule framed by four pilasters. The pilasters are replicated in the three dormers at the roof, set below the central chimney.